Author Topic: Jeans  (Read 1372 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Jeans
« on: September 14, 2021, 10:41:09 AM »
So we haven't had a "What jeans do you like?" thread in years. So here is one.  =)

Currently, I am wearing three different brands for different things.

For super dirty stuff around the farm, where the jeans might get oily, muddy, cow manurey, or ripped by barbed wire, I am wearing Blue Mountain jeans from the Tractor Supply. Regular price $12, but I get them when they are on sale for $10. I always keep a couple of pairs around and don't care what happens to them. Not the most flattering fit (cut loose), but that's better for work and who cares?

For regular around the farm and kicking around stuff, I have been again shopping at Tractor Supply and wearing their Ridgecut* brand flex work jeans. Normally $25, often found on sale for $20. They are a "normal" vs relaxed cut, but the flex material makes them super comfortable. They are a slightly lighter weight denim than say your average Carhartt, but still hold up well. Comfortable, flattering cut, and belt loops in good places for carrying a blaster. My all around favorite jeans now.

My third brand are recently discovered. They are the Vertx Defiance jeans. I saw them reviewed on one of the youtube gun channels and they just sounded really good to me. When I looked them up, they were freakin' $65! There are a myriad of 20% off deals ongoing though. However, for whatever reason, on Amazon, they were $45. Still kinda high for me for jeans, but I bought a pair. These are the best pants for carrying a gat that I have ever worn. They appear to be similar material to my Ridgecut flex jeans, but cut even better. Belt loops are in even better locations. Really well-designed pockets. The rear pockets are placed much lower than I am use to.  I guess that is something a lot of young guy jeans have now. At first I didn't like them, but then found that placement gets them out of the way of a holster, and also for putting a phone in your back pocket, places it in such a way that when you sit, you're not putting the full pressure of your ass on your phone. Again, expensive (and I would not pay the full price), but these are great jeans. They have a bunch of funky stuff like hidden pockets for handcuff keys and stuff, which is gimmicky to me, but whatever.

As a tangent, When I started this thread, I was thinking about the previous jeans  threads over the years and how my brands changed. When the first thread showed up 20 or so years ago, I was wearing LL Bean jeans. The next time, I was wearing Cabelas jeans because LL Bean had gotten expensive and yuppie. The next time I was wearing Costco jeans because Cabelas had gotten expensive, yuppie and changed their fit. The next time, I switched to Wranglers and Carhartt because Costco switched to China and the jeans were terrible. And now I'm where I am now. :)

*I have Ridgecut shirts as well. I  am really impressed with this house brand. Well made clothing at really reasonable prices. Their ultra work shirts are like a Dickey's shirt, but even better made and better fit IMO. Water repellent and also very barbed wire resistant.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Jeans
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 10:47:27 AM »
A mixture of $10 jeans from Menards, and $13 jeans from sams club.

The quality isn't fantastic.  But, I'm extremely hard on clothing, even more expensive jeans don't last particularly long for me.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 10:51:05 AM »
My "Go to Town" jeans are Wranglers from a local farm supply store. They have a cut that works for me so I stick with it. My shop/work jeans are from Goodwill or the DAV store. I get blems that are about 2" too big in the waist for comfort. At around $3 a pop I don't cry when they get covered in grease and goo.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 10:54:40 AM »
I usually get the $13 jeans from Sam’s for the same reason as Nick.

I’ve tried more expensive leg armor (the Duluth Trading Company Firehose pants, for instance) but I have never been impressed by the longevity or wear resistance of them.  After a little bit of use they look grungy and end up with holes just like the cheap jeans.

Never tried the really expensive stuff, though.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 11:02:04 AM »
I should look at Tractor Supply.  My typical work pants are Dickies 874s, and I wear jeans not all that often.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 11:06:42 AM »
I usually get the $13 jeans from Sam’s for the same reason as Nick.

I’ve tried more expensive leg armor (the Duluth Trading Company Firehose pants, for instance) but I have never been impressed by the longevity or wear resistance of them.  After a little bit of use they look grungy and end up with holes just like the cheap jeans.

Never tried the really expensive stuff, though.

I experimented with Carhartts for farm work, but like you, found the more expensive "tough" jeans just didn't hold out much longer than the $10 Blue Mountain jeans, and I can buy three of those for what a pair of Carhartts cost.

The one pair of expensive Vertx I look at more as "dress jeans". They are what I would have worn to the office when still working, and what I wear as my "go to town" jeans when I want to look a little nicer. Using that rational, I've usually paid in the $40 range for those kinds of pants, jeans or no.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 11:29:24 AM »
I get Wranglers from walmart.com.  I also have a few pair of Levis that I ordered from Amazon.  (the Wranglers are less than half the price at walmart than they are at Amazon)  I wear an odd size, big *and* tall, not one or the other, so they are hard to find.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 11:37:58 AM »
Levi's 550, I can walk soybeans/corn in them all while sweating like a whore in church and no chaffing of the nether regions.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 11:50:48 AM »
I've been wearing Classic Fit LL Bean Double L jeans for many years.  I like the way they fit me and they are true to size.  They always last a long time before being delegated to yard work.  The last two I bought have the Comfort Waist and are relaxed a bit through the hips and thighs.  I wish they'd do the Comfort Waist with the classic fit though.  They are worth the money in my book.  I have 2 pairs of the jeans and 6 pair of Comfort Waist khakis in 6 different shades of colors, so I rotate.  Pants last a long time for me that way.  I pretty much wear shorts all summer so long pants for me are for early spring, late fall and winter.

The Khakis came from The Territory Ahead and also have the Comfort Waist.  I'm done with them though.  4 years ago they were $49.95 and excellent quality.  Then quality began to slip and the price went to $59.95.  A couple years ago Territory Ahead was sold to some large mega corp and the price went up to $69.95 right off the bat.  The last catalogue I got a couple months ago now have them listed at $99.95.  100% increase in a couple years.  Fortunately there are a lot of off brand khakis sellers starting to wise up to the fact that some of us are a bit burly and the Comfort Waist is becoming easy to find in quality khakis for around $50 bucks.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 12:02:33 PM »
I have been wearing Wrangler for years.  I usually get them at Tractor Supply.  They have other cheaper brands, but I haven't tried them.

I was going to ask about Diluth Trading.  I have bought a few things from them lately.  Their pocket T-shirts are nice.  Better than what Carhartt is selling these days.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 12:40:27 PM »
At work, we get to buy nice green uniform shirts. If you hold a battery wrong, and it gets on the shirt, it will soak right through and eat a cotton t-shirt. The uniform shirt? Never notices it.

If you're carrying a gungy battery by the handle, and some gets on your leg, it will eat those nice cotton jeans.

I buy cheap big & tall given half a chance. Amazon had some dress pants that were unaffected by the acid, but they were sort of flimsy. Bought several pairs of "Nautica" jeans, and they'll do until they can't be patched.

Some guy at the parts store changes out your battery as the "free" service - tip them.
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 12:44:36 PM »
I pretty much only wear jeans at work these days.  Both my work jeans are Dickies that have several years on them.  I'm told we are going to go to mandatory uniforms in a couple months so these will probably become lawn mowing shorts after that.

I have one pair of Duluth jeans that are nice enough for clean, around town, stuff, but I hardly wear them.  Cargo pants and shorts mostly these days.

As an aside, if you want sticker shock, look at the price of those Crye Combat pants all the cool guntoobers wear.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2021, 01:07:38 PM »
Levi's 550, I can walk soybeans/corn in them all while sweating like a whore in church and no chaffing of the nether regions.
As someone who used to endure serious chafing from walking through corn while wearing jeans on a daily basis during roguing and detasseling season, what makes Levi's 550 jeans different such that they don't cause irritation?  I have an old pair of Levi's that seems to use a lighter/finer denim.  I don't wear them for work stuff largely because the fabric seems less durable, however the lack of chafing might be a reason to reconsider them for some tasks.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2021, 01:20:16 PM »
As someone who used to endure serious chafing from walking through corn while wearing jeans on a daily basis during roguing and detasseling season, what makes Levi's 550 jeans different such that they don't cause irritation?  I have an old pair of Levi's that seems to use a lighter/finer denim.  I don't wear them for work stuff largely because the fabric seems less durable, however the lack of chafing might be a reason to reconsider them for some tasks.

Probably just fit me the best.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2021, 01:24:31 PM »
so these will probably become lawn mowing shorts after that.

Just don't post any pictures and tell us that you blue yourself.  :laugh:

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2021, 02:02:34 PM »
I've gone to cargo pants or shorts most of the time depending on weather. Riggs (Wrangler) workwear Ranger pants or Wrangler cargo pants, either the ripstop or regular style. Also have a couple pair of Duluth firehose pants, they're made well enough but im kind of "meh" about them.  For actual bluejeans Wranglers  or Dickies.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2021, 02:08:13 PM »
Quote from: Ben link=topic=65255.msg1320576#msg1320576 date=16316 40271
Just don't post any pictures and tell us that you blue yourself.  :laugh:

=D =D
Too many years in the Army have given me the opposite of Tobias' problem. I need to be reminded to put shorts on.

PEfarmer

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2021, 02:16:05 PM »
Wore 501s since my early teens.  Finally switched to Wrangler 13MWZ (this is the classic wrangler cut) this last year.  Cut isn't quite as perfect, but cost is half of 501s and I'm not supporting the commies at Levi Strauss.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2021, 02:20:03 PM »
=D =D
Too many years in the Army have given me the opposite of Tobias' problem. I need to be reminded to put shorts on.

:rofl:

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2021, 02:55:45 PM »
I am really impressed by Dickie's carpenter jeans, the Carhartt-colored ones. My two pair have lasted a lot longer than the Wranglers, Carhartts, and other brands I tried out previously.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2021, 06:42:52 PM »
Wranglers, regular cut, straight leg.  At $13/pair, they're cheap enough I don't worry about stains & what have you.  Not that they stain easily, grease, oil & blood seem to just wash out without any special treatment.  I wear them pretty much everywhere and one pair will last 4 or 5 months.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2021, 11:28:12 PM »
Levi's is very anti-gun:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90346594/inside-levis-stand-against-gun-violence

I wear wranglers.  I don't know if they are better than other brands though.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2021, 09:09:25 AM »
I gave up on Levi's when they offshored production to China many years ago, their public anti-gun stance just reinforced my hate for them.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2021, 10:42:25 AM »
Wranglers seem like one of those steady brands. I could have easily started on Wranglers when the jeans threads started here years ago and still be happily wearing them. Just boringly good quality and price.

I actually have probably four pairs of wranglers in the closet. All these jeans companies come out with dozens of varieties, so I don't know what to call mine, but they are a lighter denim that's dyed so they work as good "dress jeans" without being $100 dress jeans. When I had desk days at work or had to go to various meetings, I often wore them with a sport coat as my office attire. Haven't worn them but a few times since I retired. I should just get them out and turn them into work jeans.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2021, 11:43:18 AM »
I usually wear dickies from the farm store. I like a double front work pant in cooler weather. I still have old carhart bibs that have lasted for years.
I also have a couple pair of Duluth trading that have worn really well but are pricey.
What we have here is failure to communicate.