R.I.P. Scout26

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Dune  (Read 4546 times)

Pb

• friend
Re: Dune
« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2021, 12:24:26 PM »

This for example
"Villeneuve’s film sees this story through the eyes of the great family’s young heir, Paul (Timothée Chalamet), and embraces the boy’s awestruck confusion at moving to a desert world and learning that he was bred to be the white savior of its native people. "

*spoliers*

That's absurd because... 1) the fremen are Caucasians also and 2) he isn't bred to be the savior of the native people, they falsely believe he is the messiah because their religion has was cynically manipulated by outsiders and  2) Paul doesn't save the Fremen.

The central idea of the series is that heroes are disastrously for humanity, because people follow them (or their ideas about their hero) to destruction.

One of my favorite lines in the book is "No more terrible disaster could befall your people than for them to fall into the hands of Hero."

Setting this up is the purpose of the first book.

MillCreek

• friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2021, 12:42:50 PM »

That's absurd because... 1) the fremen are Caucasians also

I don't think that Earth ethnicity applies to an alien race on an alien planet.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • I am not a cat
« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2021, 12:48:41 PM »

I don't think that Earth ethnicity applies to an alien race on an alien planet.

The Fremen aren't an alien race as they are the descendants of humans that arrived there thousands of years before the book. There are no alien races in Dune unless you count the genetically modified humans, ie The Spacing Guild (mutated by the spice in their case), as non-human.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 01:37:40 PM by WLJ »
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”
~George Carlin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2021, 10:25:04 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBBenVUVpEs
DUNE Extended Trailer - "Royal Houses"

Looking at this, the movie looks like it will be pretty good.  Aside from a couple of casting choices, it appears it is following the book pretty close.  We will see.  October 22 will come pretty quickly.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]