Author Topic: High school cancels 9/11 tribute, deletes FB comments about it  (Read 719 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
High school cancels 9/11 tribute, deletes FB comments about it
« on: September 15, 2021, 10:10:16 AM »
Haven't seen anyone post about this...

Football team had a 9/11 tribute planned. Some unnamed official canceled it because feelz might get hurt.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/washington-state-hs-calls-off-9-11-football-tribute-because-some-could-be-offended-report-says

Even better, the school was getting hammered on their FB page, so decided to remove all the offending comments and lock down access to new comments.

https://www.facebook.com/EastlakeLWSD

As a public school, there is a compelling argument that deleting existing comments or limiting access to public forums is blatantly illegal. I think the ACLU is a cesspool, but occasionally they do have good info.

https://www.aclu-nj.org/theissues/freespeechexpression/know-your-rights-when-public-officials-censor-you-social-media#:~:text=If%20a%20public%20official%20uses,basis%20of%20the%20viewpoints%20expressed.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: High school cancels 9/11 tribute, deletes FB comments about it
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 10:44:53 AM »
I would argue that those who would be offended need to be offended daily.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 11:00:43 AM »
Back when I was in high school in Issaquah, WA, we thought Eastlake High was a *expletive deleted*bag school.  I guess things haven't changed much.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 03:26:08 PM »
. . . Some unnamed official canceled it  . . .
One time at my old high school some event was cancelled by an "unnamed official" . . . but the students continued with it anyway.

When asked about it, they said "WHO, exactly, cancelled it? We don't know, and we don't follow instructions unless we know who's giving them. For all we know, it was some student from another school. Or his little sister."

Of course, even in Chicago, back in the '70s the schools weren't as PC or woke as some are today.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 05:10:22 PM »
One time at my old high school some event was cancelled by an "unnamed official" . . . but the students continued with it anyway.

When asked about it, they said "WHO, exactly, cancelled it? We don't know, and we don't follow instructions unless we know who's giving them. For all we know, it was some student from another school. Or his little sister."

Of course, even in Chicago, back in the '70s the schools weren't as PC or woke as some are today.
Makes sense.  The coaches should force someone to put their name on it if not the students/players.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge