Author Topic: The US and UK are going to sell nuclear subs to Australia  (Read 1154 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
The US and UK are going to sell nuclear subs to Australia
« on: September 15, 2021, 06:18:32 PM »
https://www.npr.org/2021/09/15/1037338887/why-biden-is-taking-the-rare-step-of-sharing-nuclear-submarine-tech-with-austral?utm_term=nprnews&utm_campaign=npr&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR07B9YBfMG_Xhj6g8bN_x__K2Atv0T7eQRvpy9AcQ2Rd5WIq4tqYVvGWQM

Other articles I have read stated that the subs would be built by Electric Boat in the US, but the NPR article says they will be built in Australia.  I think this is a great idea to keep the PRC on their toes.  All you bubbleheads here can find lucrative training jobs in Oz now!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: The US and UK are going to sell nuclear subs to Australia
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 06:23:36 PM »
China buying some of Hunter's paintings followed by Joe canceling the deal in 10,9,8,7...........
Wish I was joking.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 08:46:44 PM »
I wish we would sell nuke subs to Taiwan including nuclear warheads.  They need it more than anyone.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 09:32:32 PM »
I wish we would sell nuke subs to Taiwan including nuclear warheads.  They need it more than anyone.
I wish the civilized world would recognize Taiwan as a free and independent country . . . while simultaneously nationalizing all properties, accounts, and contracts held by the Chicoms outside their borders.

This would be a down payment on the reparations they owe the world for unleashing covid-19 on it.

But I think WLJ has the truth of it two posts earlier.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 10:10:25 PM »
This brings up something I've been thinking about for a while: The west's economic interactions with communist countries.

Okay, so WWII is over, and relations between the US and the Soviet Union become rather cold.  The US more or less decides that they are the evil empire, and that their system or government and sphere of influence should be contained.  And from around 1950 to 1990, we have the cold war, in which we rather hate commies, and will fight proxy wars, build up piles of WMD's, and directly intervene with affairs of other nations to contain communism.  (Korea, Vietnam war, Cuban blockade, Iran-contra, Afghanistan (the first time), etc)

Fast forward to today:  Many of the clothes in department stores are made in communist Vietnam.  Dare I say most consumer products are made in communist China - they are the single largest importer of goods to the US.

Questions:
1. What happened in the US such that it became not only acceptable, but widespread to do business with communist countries?  Or were we always rather amicable to the idea, but the change was communist countries being willing to sell exports to capitalist countries?
2. Containment as a policy seems to have been abandoned with the dissolution of the soviet union.  But other communist countries still exist, and China is growing to be a superpower - so why don't we regard communism as a threat anymore?
3. On a long enough timeline, can peaceful coexistence happen between capitalistic republics, communist states, theocracies, kingdoms, and all the other forms of government that exist in the world?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 09:10:20 AM »
New Zealand will not allow the Australian nuclear subs within its national waters.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/australian-nuclear-subs-banned-from-entering-nz-waters-ardern_3999996.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 09:55:19 AM »
I guess it might be a hedge against China.  Also have to support to the budding totalitarian state in Australia.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 09:57:40 AM »
Give nuke cruise missiles to Japan, exit the pacific theater. Done.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 10:37:17 AM »
Give nuke cruise missiles to Japan, exit the pacific theater. Done.

Don't have to, with Japan's nuclear infrastructure already in place many think they could have nukes ready to go on short notice. 
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 11:14:17 AM »
Don't have to, with Japan's nuclear infrastructure already in place many think they could have nukes ready to go on short notice.

Really? They certainly have reactors, but is it thought they have a nuclear warhead capability?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2021, 11:36:10 AM »
Anything that pisses the French off is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned.

The French were offering conventional submarines. Britain and the US were offering nuke powered subs. Easy math there.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2021, 09:37:29 AM »
Really? They certainly have reactors, but is it thought they have a nuclear warhead capability?

That's something that falls into the "Can neither confirm nor deny" category
- Calvin and Hobbes