Author Topic: Thinning the herd...  (Read 1268 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Thinning the herd...
« on: September 14, 2021, 07:14:54 PM »
I occasionally run into customers who have watched too many videos like this one.

https://youtu.be/0_Dfi89pcnU
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Thinning the herd...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 07:33:08 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 08:51:39 PM »
From the comments:

"There has to be a way to add explosive charges to the chain ends, to quickly eliminate any pesky rocks or fence posts."

APS member?
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 09:40:08 PM »
Hmmm . . . if he had a pair of chains side by side on each side of the circular steel part, he could fasten the free ends to a knife blade or saw blade . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 09:41:48 PM »
His next invention will be a children's booster seat with rocket assist and a parachute.

He do love his angle grinder.  I like how he's completely oblivious to the existence of things like this.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 09:53:49 PM »
Eh... I get yelled at sometimes by customers who are upset that I don't carry every size (or any, for that matter...) of bicycle inner tubes. Or Chinese light bulbs for Chinese scooters.
Blog under construction

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 07:47:25 AM »
I've seen that weed eater modification done with saw chain.
 :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 07:59:32 AM »
I could make that the right way and be safe, but I won’t. Can’t get that excited about weed cutting tech.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 09:07:55 AM »
I could make that the right way and be safe, but I won’t. Can’t get that excited about weed cutting tech.

Agreed, if you stay on top of it with the proper application of botanical chemical warfare agents you don't really need much weed eater time.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 09:28:52 AM »
Way back in the day, when I was in college, there was a guy on our dorm floor.  He was in School of Ag.  Already had a summertime lawncare/landscaping business in Chicago burbs that was doing nicely.  Anyway, this was right before/right as the weedeaters were starting to use strings.  Anyway, he had a blade break on one, cut him in the forehead.  He was a big fan of the string type after that.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2021, 10:27:48 AM »
Lowes/Home Depot sell plastic/metal cutting heads that can be installed.  Never tried them myself, but I have gotten some crappy string that wouldn't last 10 seconds of cutting time on normal grass. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2021, 10:31:47 AM »
Lowes/Home Depot sell plastic/metal cutting heads that can be installed.  Never tried them myself, but I have gotten some crappy string that wouldn't last 10 seconds of cutting time on normal grass.

I use the metal brush blade on my 40v Ryobi all the time. The Ryobi lets you quick swap out heads, so I have one string head and one blade head. Super duper tool.

I hate dealing with the string on my trimmer. I used to think I was just a retard, but there are too many youtube complaint videos to make me the only one.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2021, 10:34:06 AM »
I bought a Toro electric string trimmer maybe 10 years ago to replace the original B&D string trimmer I bought in... 1994?

I have such a small area to cut that I replaced the string on the original one once, and I've yet to replace the string on this one.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2021, 10:37:49 AM »
I have such a small area to cut that I replaced the string on the original one once, and I've yet to replace the string on this one.

Holy crap. I lose a good two feet of string every week doing the edges when I mow the lawn.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2021, 11:39:31 AM »
Some of the low-end electric trimmers are really underpowered and don't have the speed to do quick damage to the line.  I have a 20v B&D trimmer I got for a song a while back and have only swapped the line in it once in a few years.  The gas trimmer I bought for the new place is another story.

Also makes a big difference what you're trimming.  Some things like chain link fence will eat line much faster than trimming around a tree, so what you are trimming makes a difference too.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2021, 12:30:46 PM »
Also makes a big difference what you're trimming.  Some things like chain link fence will eat line much faster than trimming around a tree, so what you are trimming makes a difference too.

Yeah, I lose most of my line edging the grass along concrete.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2021, 07:06:24 PM »
WEAR GOOD, TALL, THICK, LEATHER, BOOTS WHILE USING!

My BIL was using a regular weed-whacker with regular line while wearing low-top tennis shoes and shorts. He flayed his socks and ankles into hamburger. He wears boots and heavy pants now!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2021, 08:58:37 PM »
Feelin' sorry for your sister...
Blog under construction

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2021, 09:17:08 PM »
WEAR GOOD, TALL, THICK, LEATHER, BOOTS WHILE USING!

My BIL was using a regular weed-whacker with regular line while wearing low-top tennis shoes and shorts. He flayed his socks and ankles into hamburger. He wears boots and heavy pants now!

Yep.

I use boots, pants, long sleeve heavy work shirt and a faceshield when using a weed eater. When I was using the commercial grade ones at old job that was the only way to fly and not get beat up., first state park I worked at they put me on a weed eater every day all day for three weeks in August, the gear took the pain out of it.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2021, 09:29:20 PM »
Yep.

I use boots, pants, long sleeve heavy work shirt and a faceshield when using a weed eater. When I was using the commercial grade ones at old job that was the only way to fly and not get beat up., first state park I worked at they put me on a weed eater every day all day for three weeks in August, the gear took the pain out of it.

I always wear my muck boots when I use the weed eater. Also hearing protection. Absolutely, positively eye protection. Without it,  I would likely be blind in at least one eye now. From more than one incident.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2021, 11:58:10 PM »
I kind of wanted to see one of the screws holding the chain snap off, allowing the chain to hit him in the ankle at Mach 2.

I liked his angle grinder technique- hold it in one hand while resting his other hand in front of it.

Anyone that drills through metal on YouTube  without a clamp/vise/ stop should be forced to stick their hand in a Wolverine den while live streaming.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2021, 11:59:28 PM »
Feelin' sorry for your sister...

If she's smart she has a life insurance policy on her hubby.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2021, 12:13:54 PM »
We would routinely drill and tap stuff in the CNC shop by hand... Just hold it, spot it with some oil, and drop the z...

Of course, that was with stuff like 1/16" drills, and you wanted to feel things...

There was one drill press over in the corner, that originally ran of a jackshaft, but I think the motor for the long belt was about 10-20 ponies... That one could swing 2" drills. You'd start with a spotter, clamp it like no tomorrow, and work up to things... That was a Cincinnati, and had to be over 100 years old.

Biggest holes I routinely drilled were a little under 1.750" - they played nice with a t-shirt patched golf ball. Did those in the big lathe, and every so often it would grunt.
Blog under construction

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2021, 12:52:27 PM »
Yeah, I lose most of my line edging the grass along concrete.

Ben, what is the type of line you use?

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2021, 12:54:43 PM »
I always wear my muck boots when I use the weed eater. Also hearing protection. Absolutely, positively eye protection. Without it,  I would likely be blind in at least one eye now. From more than one incident.

I do the same, but I will double my eye protection (safety glasses and Uvex Bionic Face Shield with Clear Polycarbonate Visor and Anti-Fog/Hard Coat (S8510))
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.