Author Topic: Cooling earth by geoengineering  (Read 881 times)

Lennyjoe

• friend
Cooling earth by geoengineering
« on: September 15, 2021, 07:59:25 AM »
Read an interesting article this morning while taking care of business. Seems the business outcome was the same as the Information in this article….

https://futurism.com/the-byte/scientists-plan-cool-world-geoengineering

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Cooling earth by geoengineering
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 09:20:29 AM »
Should be easy.  Just change the chemicals they are putting in the jet contrails.   =D   [tinfoil]    :laugh:

...or maybe not.
https://www.science.org/news/2019/06/aviation-s-dirty-secret-airplane-contrails-are-surprisingly-potent-cause-global-warming
Aviation's dirty secret: Airplane contrails are a surprisingly potent cause of global warming
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 09:23:57 AM »
You guys don't actually think Starlink is about satellite internet service do you? [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 09:25:08 AM »
I am always highly suspect about all the ambitious plans.  If we actually implemented some of them, I imagine there would be a lot of side effects we didn't anticipate. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 09:35:30 AM »
I am always highly suspect about all the ambitious plans.  If we actually implemented some of them, I imagine there would be a lot of side effects we didn't anticipate.
The #1 side effect of all - all! - the global warming/climate change/geoengineering proposals I've heard about is to funnel money out of YOUR pocket into the pockets of people like Algore and others of his ilk. "Green new deal" and other proposals are a scam the scale of which makes Bernie Madoff's antics look like a game of three card Monte in a Brooklyn alley by comparison.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 09:39:33 AM »
The whole PNW was blanketed with smoke all summer. Did it make a difference? If not, how could a geoengineering effort move the needle unless it were equally big, and how could we possibly do something so big?

If so, what happens when we geoengineer something massive, then there are wildfires or volcano eruptions on top of that? We can't see the future, so we can't be sure our efforts will even be in the right direction.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 10:07:15 AM »
I’m not buying I to the whole global warming caused by man thingy.  Geology tells the story of earths warming and cooling over millions of years.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 10:36:28 AM »
I’m not buying I to the whole global warming caused by man thingy.  Geology tells the story of earths warming and cooling over millions of years.

This is one of my pet peeves in the whole Climate Change Debate.  Human caused climate change and natural warming cooling cycles are not mutually exclusive.  Just because the earth's climate demonstrably goes through natural cycles doesn't mean that we don't want to make sure human activity doesn't muck things up (or alternatively, keep the natural cycle nice for us as long as possible).  Both sides are correct.

The whole PNW was blanketed with smoke all summer. Did it make a difference? If not, how could a geoengineering effort move the needle unless it were equally big, and how could we possibly do something so big?

If so, what happens when we geoengineer something massive, then there are wildfires or volcano eruptions on top of that? We can't see the future, so we can't be sure our efforts will even be in the right direction.

Well....we could set off Yellowstone, or another Krakatoa.  That should neatly solve the global warming thing.  There may be other side effects.........

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 10:56:40 AM »
Well since Iran and North Korea both ramped up thier nuke programs with the tough guy in charge I don't think it will be long before we have at least a small nuclear winter.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 05:19:23 PM »
This is one of my pet peeves in the whole Climate Change Debate.  Human caused climate change and natural warming cooling cycles are not mutually exclusive.  Just because the earth's climate demonstrably goes through natural cycles doesn't mean that we don't want to make sure human activity doesn't muck things up (or alternatively, keep the natural cycle nice for us as long as possible).  Both sides are correct.

Well....we could set off Yellowstone, or another Krakatoa.  That should neatly solve the global warming thing.  There may be other side effects.........
1.  Politics is involved so nothing can really be trusted. 
2.  The amount of temperature changes they document are very small and then they are based on calculated average temperatures.  The amount of fudge factor and uncertainty in the numbers they are working with exceeds the changes they are seeing IMO.  Trying to blame some percentage of the changes they think they see on man's affect sounds like a lot of guess work to me.  Especially when a natural event can easily throw things the other way. 
3.  There has already been a whole lot of documented forgery and cheating in support of global warming that I find it very difficult to trust anyone supporting it.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2021, 05:19:58 PM »
The #1 side effect of all - all! - the global warming/climate change/geoengineering proposals I've heard about is to funnel money out of YOUR pocket into the pockets of people like Algore and others of his ilk. "Green new deal" and other proposals are a scam the scale of which makes Bernie Madoff's antics look like a game of three card Monte in a Brooklyn alley by comparison.
Well, it is a "Crisis!!" after all.   =)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2021, 06:00:13 PM »
No way seven billion people do not alter the climate. The numbers are all outright lies now so how much can’t be known. I still think we are heading for a few decades of cooling which to me is far more alarming. Global cooling has killed millions and we have history to prove it. Maunder Minimum, Irish potato famine, European wars during that cool period. Any cooling now will put far more pressure on already contested resources.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2021, 11:12:25 PM »
One theory proposed putting sulfur based aerosols into the air as they can raise the albedo (reflectivity) of the atmosphere.  It will, however, increase the incidence of "acid rain" and that won't be good for plants, animals, bridges, any exposed metals, etc.  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2021, 11:49:36 PM »
Wasn’t this the plot of one of the Highlander movies?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2021, 09:10:02 AM »
There can be only one.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2021, 11:25:55 AM »
There can be only one.

No there were five, and a TV Show.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2021, 12:12:36 PM »
More than one tv show.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2021, 12:53:03 PM »
. . .
3.  There has already been a whole lot of documented forgery and cheating in support of global warming that I find it very difficult to trust anyone supporting it.
You cynic!

They've just been applying correction factors in order to produce the desired, correct results which in many cases actual records and actual measurements don't support.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2021, 01:00:25 PM »
double tap