Author Topic: Swords into Plowshares... Er, Ar15s into Swords  (Read 843 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Swords into Plowshares... Er, Ar15s into Swords
« on: September 15, 2021, 10:36:18 AM »
I'm pretty sure this is Elon Musk's wife or girlfriend or whatever. I'm not sure if this is an antigun theme or just a rich celebrity thing.

https://futurism.com/grimes-sword-ar-15/amp
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
Re: Swords into Plowshares... Er, Ar15s into Swords
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 10:40:13 AM »
Grimes just bought the fancy rich person's art collective crap.

The MSCHF folks (remember Lil Nas X's Nike's with human blood in them?  Same folks) will make you a shitty unusable sword out of any gun you send them, as part of their "Gunz r Bad, Mkay" thing.
https://guns2swords.com/

ETA:  You know.....Those MSCHF drops are trendy as *expletive deleted*it.  Rich folks get their panties wet over them.  They have an option on that site to "send them a gun, they send you a sword".  If there's no money involved, It would be interesting to send them a shitty old long gun, put the sword in a closet until they stop making them, and ebay that mofo.  They are selling the swords on the website for $5k right now.  Once they are "limited edition"....[looks at Maverick 88 12Ga in my safe]

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 10:54:45 AM »
I call BS.  There's not enough steel in a single AR-15 to make that sword.  Granted, they might have sourced the steel from more than one AR-15.
Kind of ironic destroying one weapon to make another weapon that is equally deadly in the proper hands.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 10:57:03 AM »

ETA:  You know.....Those MSCHF drops are trendy as *expletive deleted*it.  Rich folks get their panties wet over them.  They have an option on that site to "send them a gun, they send you a sword".  If there's no money involved, It would be interesting to send them a shitty old long gun, put the sword in a closet until they stop making them, and ebay that mofo.  They are selling the swords on the website for $5k right now.  Once they are "limited edition"....[looks at Maverick 88 12Ga in my safe]

Oh man... I still have two $39 Mosins laying around.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 11:01:28 AM »
Some over paid famous for being famous dimwit did something silly and got 5 minutes of fame for it.

I'm actually shocked the article used the term "semi auto" and IDed the supposed gun as an A3.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 11:03:59 AM »
I'm actually shocked the article used the term "semi auto" and IDed the supposed gun as an A3.

Good point.  Of course, expecting any kind of accuracy from the anti-gun crowd is foolish.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 11:04:05 AM »
I call BS.  There's not enough steel in a single AR-15 to make that sword.  Granted, they might have sourced the steel from more than one AR-15.
Kind of ironic destroying one weapon to make another weapon that is equally deadly in the proper hands.

There's probably 3 lbs of steel in a 16" AR between Barrel, gas block BCG, trigger parts and the like.  If there's one thing 5 seasons of Forged in Fire has taught me it's that you don't need as much steel as you think for a blade.  Especially if you aren't super worried about strength.  From their website:

THESE ARE MORE SWORD SCULPTURES THAN COMBAT-READY SWORDS. THE SWORDS PRODUCED BY GUNS2SWORDS ARE STAINLESS STEEL, HOWEVER THEY ARE NOT AS STRONG AS A “NORMAL” SWORD. THIS IS BECAUSE THE GUNMETAL ALLOY IS NOT WHAT WOULD NORMALLY BE USED FOR SWORD FORGING AND, BECAUSE WE DIDN’T MAKE THE GUNS, THE EXACT COMPOSITION OF THE METAL IS NOT KNOWN TO US. IF YOU HIT STONE OR METAL WITH A GUNS2SWORDS SWORD, YOUR SWORD WILL LIKELY BREAK.

ALL SWORDS ARE SHIPPED UNSHARPENED.

It's written on the sword.  Hard for even the celeb to muck that one up.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 11:08:32 AM »
I saw the site requires you to identify the type of gun you send them, with a "no handguns" statement. I wonder if they are making the exact same sword for everyone, or maybe going by amount of metal, or maybe even deciding that for my $39 Mosin, I only get a 24" cutlass while the AR person gets a broadsword?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 11:09:11 AM »
There's probably 3 lbs of steel in a 16" AR between Barrel, gas block BCG, trigger parts and the like.  If there's one thing 5 seasons of Forged in Fire has taught me it's that you don't need as much steel as you think for a blade.  Especially if you aren't super worried about strength.

Then that lady must be very fragile.  Quoting her, "It’s not a prop sword,” Grimes told Vogue. “I tried to pick it up and this is not really a one-handed situation.”  Three pounds is not "a one-handed situation"?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 11:14:49 AM »
Three pounds is not "a one-handed situation"?

Have you ever tried shaking hands with some (not all) of these noodle armed millennials (for those that will even properly shake hands with you)? It's like shaking hands with a a handful of oyster meat.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2021, 11:25:31 AM »
I saw the site requires you to identify the type of gun you send them, with a "no handguns" statement. I wonder if they are making the exact same sword for everyone, or maybe going by amount of metal, or maybe even deciding that for my $39 Mosin, I only get a 24" cutlass while the AR person gets a broadsword?

Looking at the website, all the swords look the same, and from their little video, despite the repeated use of the word "forge" it looks like they're casting it.  I think they pull the steel and bead blast it, then add enough round stock to make their weight (one of the video clips looks like a barrel, action and a couple 12" pieces of round bar) then cast your pretty little blade.  Some polish and laser engraving and presto, $5,000 in "art".

Not a bad gig.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2021, 11:46:57 AM »
Oh man... I still have two $39 Mosins laying around.

Your $39 Mosins…are now $350-400 Mosins
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2021, 02:42:03 PM »
I have a cheapo 5-lb "katana" that I bought in 1996. Being young and all, I got into the habit of doing 100 reps of 8 different strikes three times a week. I only slowed down because I developed a bone spur on my right wrist (shocking, right?). Later I learned that a genuine katana should be 1.5 to 2 lbs. I liked the other results, though.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2021, 03:55:47 PM »
Looking at the website, all the swords look the same, and from their little video, despite the repeated use of the word "forge" it looks like they're casting it.  I think they pull the steel and bead blast it, then add enough round stock to make their weight (one of the video clips looks like a barrel, action and a couple 12" pieces of round bar) then cast your pretty little blade.  Some polish and laser engraving and presto, $5,000 in "art".

Not a bad gig.

Maybe I was in the wrong line of work all those years.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2021, 12:01:03 AM »
So she took a ‘Joe six pack’ AR-15 and turned it into an inferior weapon that in its time, would have only been carried by the ruling class and its enforcers? How progressive.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama