Author Topic: The Congressional Fire Alarm  (Read 4065 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Congressional Fire Alarm
« on: October 01, 2023, 08:12:10 AM »
Come on, man. A former school principal that doesn't know what a fire alarm looks like? There's no way this was an "accident" because he thought it was a lever to open the door. If he opened an emergency exit, he might have an alibi. That would also be stupid, but the fire alarm is beyond the pale. Total Junior High antics, but not totally unexpected for "the squad".

Plus, shouldn't this get an 18 year prison sentence?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/squad-dem-jamaal-bowman-offers-bizarre-response-pulling-fire-alarm-open-door
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: The Congressional Fire Alarm
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2023, 08:38:13 AM »
He should get some detentions. And a wedgie.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2023, 08:59:31 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2023, 02:33:56 PM »
I call BS. The doors he is standing next to in the photo are equipped with panic bars. Push the bar and the door opens. (It's sort of like magic -- except that it's not magic.) Fire alarm pull boxes are painted bright red and they say "Pull in case of fire."

I'm inclined to accept the theory that he was just trying to delay the vote. He should be sanctioned.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2023, 05:50:45 PM »
He should get some detentions. And a wedgie.

I'll see your detentions and wedgie, and raise you a swirly.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2023, 09:41:31 PM »
Most of the media is going with the signs were to complicated. I'm going with that would make him a moron that doesn't belong in congress. Unfortunately, there are a bunch of them up there.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2023, 10:13:07 PM »
Too complicated?

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/bowman-fire-alarm-congressional-vote/story?id=103629140

Bowman said he thought the alarm -- which is red and says "FIRE" in capital letters -- would open the door he typically uses to get from his office building to the Capitol for votes.
(emphasis added)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2023, 10:54:16 PM »

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2023, 08:41:10 AM »
My understanding is that McCarthy gave the Dems a time when the CR would be voted on, then called an unscheduled vote while he knew a bunch of Dems were not in the building hoping he could have his cake and eat it too, that is the Repubs could be on record as trying to keep the .gov open, but the Freedom Caucus would not be coming for him today for passing a CR.

Rep Bowman heard about this, hit the fire alarm, which delayed the vote long enough for the Dems to show up and vote for the CR as they had said they would, thereby depriving McCarthy of his cover, and forcing him to face the consequences of supporting the CR today.

^^^

IF that is indeed what went down, I'm kinda on Bowman's side here.  Don't lie and call unscheduled events to use folks as fake cover for your actions.   

It'll be interesting to see both if the Freedom Caucus manages to unseat the speaker, and what happens when Legislators have to go on record about a single issue Ukraine funding bill.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2023, 09:12:43 AM »
And when I was growing up I was taught that pulling a fire alarm when there was no fire was an actual CRIMINAL offense.

Maybe - like so many other laws - it doesn't apply if you're a democrat.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2023, 01:23:21 PM »
Democrats Propose $12 Billion Study To Determine What This Strange Red Handle Thingy Does
https://babylonbee.com/news/congressional-democrats-propose-12-billion-dollar-study-to-determine-what-this-thing-does
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2023, 01:27:38 PM »
One of the kids in my elementary school class pulled the fire alarm on a dare.

It didn't end well for him.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2023, 02:16:45 PM »
Personally, I think pulling a fire alarm might be the appropriate action given the current state of our politics.

Probably not what he was thinking when he did it though.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2023, 02:35:18 PM »
At first I thought maybe ethanol was involved but it looks like "ethical" is more appropriate.

Remember:  "The end justifies the means."
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2023, 03:21:41 PM »
At first I thought maybe ethanol was involved but it looks like "ethical" is more appropriate.

Remember:  "The end justifies the means."

Typical commucrat/leftie tactic.  [barf]
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2024, 09:47:26 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2024, 10:00:35 AM »
 Someone compared pulling a fire alarm to killing Congressmen.  I guess they forget that a democrat nut ball did try to kill a bunch of Republican Congressmen several years ago.  Shot at least one.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2024, 10:05:16 AM »
Someone compared pulling a fire alarm to killing Congressmen.  I guess they forget that a democrat nut ball did try to kill a bunch of Republican Congressmen several years ago.  Shot at least one.

1 killed, 6 injured

The MSM buried that story in a hole so deep you can hear Chinese voices at the bottom.
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2024, 11:07:07 AM »
But he was the "somebody has to do it" Democratic Party Official False Fire Alarm Puller for issues the Dems didn't like.

So what's the problem?

Besides, if he were removed from office, they would simply assign somebody else from his district to fill out his term, and I assume he would keep his retirement benefits.

Win, win, win.  Looks like he "took one for the team."

Sorry if it seems like I'm looking at the big "the end justifies the means" picture instead of the details of this particular incident.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 11:25:09 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2024, 01:05:44 PM »
In sideways related news, during the Jan 6th defendant arguments recently at the USSC it seems as though at least one person remembers the fire alarm pulling antic.

“Would a sit-in that disrupts a trial or access to a federal courthouse qualify? Would a heckler in today’s audience qualify, or at the State of the Union address?” he said. “Would pulling a fire alarm before a vote qualify for 20 years in federal prison?”

That question alluded to the actions of Rep. Jamaal Bowman, D-N.Y., who used a fire alarm in a Capitol office building and prompting its evacuation last year but was not charged under the statute.

I am beginning to think the obstruction charges against the defendants will go away.

https://rollcall.com/2024/04/16/supreme-court-questions-use-of-statute-against-jan-6-defendants/

bob

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2024, 02:16:48 PM »
In sideways related news, during the Jan 6th defendant arguments recently at the USSC it seems as though at least one person remembers the fire alarm pulling antic.

I am beginning to think the obstruction charges against the defendants will go away.

https://rollcall.com/2024/04/16/supreme-court-questions-use-of-statute-against-jan-6-defendants/

bob
I hope you are right and enough of the other Justices agree.  Sad that all this has dragged on so long. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2024, 03:11:27 PM »

Never happened of course. Definitely, if it did happen, nothing compared to Jan 6 The Worst Day in America’s History

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!