Author Topic: Rittenhouse trial  (Read 53057 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Rittenhouse trial
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2021, 05:30:00 PM »
Hopefully the jury is comprised of people who are not amused a bunch of Antifa decided to burn their city to the ground and aren’t unhappy two of them got turned into good communists.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2021, 05:59:37 PM »
Hopefully the jury is comprised of people who are not amused a bunch of Antifa decided to burn their city to the ground and aren’t unhappy two of them got turned into good communists.

Just needs to have one.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2021, 06:00:42 PM »
Just needs to have one.

A dozen would be better.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2021, 06:04:02 PM »

I'm not hopeful. From what I saw, the population there seems pretty progressive. I guess it depends on how far into the sticks the county there goes for if they will have a diverse jury pool.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2021, 07:33:48 PM »
I'm not hopeful. From what I saw, the population there seems pretty progressive. I guess it depends on how far into the sticks the county there goes for if they will have a diverse jury pool.

Oh, they’ll have a “diverse” jury all right.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2021, 05:19:23 PM »
That link leads to a twitchy story on the Loudoun County school board hiding the recent sexual assaults.  It's Twitchy's fault though, not your's, Ben.  They goobered something up at their site.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2021, 05:32:07 PM »
It goes straight to the Rittenhouse story when I click it. Maybe they had a glitch.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2021, 05:40:15 PM »
Link works for me.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2021, 08:55:37 PM »
It goes straight to the Rittenhouse story when I click it. Maybe they had a glitch.

Must have been.  Link is working now.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2021, 10:42:53 PM »
I think Rittenhouse lucked out on this judge.

I'm inclined to agree.  The usual suspects on social media are losing their excrement over the ruling.

On a tangent:  I have the impression that lots of people have already made up their minds on the matter:  to some Rittenhouse is obviously guilty, to others he's obviously innocent.  When the verdict is eventually reached, one group or the other will take it as proof that the system is irrevocably broken. 

What that means for the future of our criminal-justice system is not promising.
                         - Barack Obama

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2021, 12:37:18 AM »
I'm inclined to agree.  The usual suspects on social media are losing their excrement over the ruling.

On a tangent:  I have the impression that lots of people have already made up their minds on the matter:  to some Rittenhouse is obviously guilty, to others he's obviously innocent.  When the verdict is eventually reached, one group or the other will take it as proof that the system is irrevocably broken. 

What that means for the future of our criminal-justice system is not promising.

The future of our criminal justice system is a secondary effect.  That such a large number of people are incapable of groking righteous self defense means our educational system is also irretrievably broken (not a surprise to anyone with school age kids).  And that our media is also irredeemably opposed to freedom of, well, anything.

All of which means it’s only a matter of time until the whole damn thing comes crumbling down.  It’s basically already there, just that enough people haven’t noticed yet.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2021, 12:48:20 AM »
The future of our criminal justice system is a secondary effect.  That such a large number of people are incapable of groking righteous self defense...

I suspect most of those people are unaware that Rittenhouse was even being attacked. They just think he was firing on the mostly peaceful demonstrators at the mostly peaceful demonstration.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2021, 09:34:31 AM »

I suspect most of those people are unaware that Rittenhouse was even being attacked. They just think he was firing on the mostly peaceful demonstrators at the mostly peaceful demonstration.

The narrative that was and still is being pushed on Zimmerman is that he chased down a poor totally innocent 8 year old black kid that was minding his own business and then shot him in the back while he as on the ground. I'm sure that's the only version many have heard and anyone who questions that version is labeled a lying racist. Much the same is being done with Rittenhouse. Or for that matter in the Breonna Taylor case to a large extent as well.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2021, 12:57:00 PM »
And Mike Brown and Jacob Blake.

EDIT: And going way, way, back, Rodney King.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2021, 02:00:10 PM »
One point that I never see picked apart is that it is reported to this day that past tense scumbag #1 was unarmed and threw a plastic bag at Rittenhouse. Okay, go get an empty dollar store bag and throw it. Now look at the video. Was that a bag or a brick wrapped in a bag?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2021, 02:40:12 PM »
One point that I never see picked apart is that it is reported to this day that past tense scumbag #1 was unarmed and threw a plastic bag at Rittenhouse. Okay, go get an empty dollar store bag and throw it. Now look at the video. Was that a bag or a brick wrapped in a bag?

Iirc he had just been released from a mental hospital or jail earlier that day.  The bag held some of his personal stuff like toothpaste, hair brush, etc.  Depending on what was in there it could have been enough weight to effectively throw.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2021, 11:08:45 PM »
The thread title should be "Kyle trial." It rhymes! We should always refer to the mob's intended victim as Kyle, not Rittenhouse. This humanizes him, in the same way that referring to Martin as Trayvon humanized him, and made him more sympathetic. Americans must start to use language as a weapon, in much the same way the enemy does. (Without the chronic mendacity, of course.)

Iirc he had just been released from a mental hospital or jail earlier that day.  The bag held some of his personal stuff like toothpaste, hair brush, etc.  Depending on what was in there it could have been enough weight to effectively throw.

And if you're being mobbed by a bunch of fascists/racists, as Kyle was, you might feel it necessary to assume the worst about what might be in the bag. That's the kind of thing Leftists can't grasp, unless it happened to one of their own.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2021, 11:15:00 PM »
And if you're being mobbed by a bunch of fascists/racists, as Kyle was, you might feel it necessary to assume the worst about what might be in the bag. That's the kind of thing Leftists can't grasp, unless it happened to one of their own.

I’m not sure he even realized at the time anything had been thrown at him.  It doesn’t materially affect the righteousness of his self defense claim.  Even had nothing been thrown he would have been fully justified in shooting ex-scumbag #1.  That it was thrown makes it a little easier to show self defense but it isn’t necessary.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2021, 07:29:47 AM »
Ladies and gentlemen of the Jury. I need a volunteer for the skateboard demonstration...

Blog under construction

HankB

• friend
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2021, 10:59:25 AM »
Ladies and gentlemen of the Jury. I need a volunteer for the skateboard demonstration... perhaps a member of the prosecution team will step forward?
Finished your sentence.  ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2021, 11:15:32 AM »
And to ensure firearms safety in the demonstration we've brought in a Hollywood actor and a professorial armorer both fresh off the Rust movie set.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2021, 02:13:43 PM »
I remain deeply disappointed that there are multiple members on one of the pro-gun, pro-2A discussion forums who continue to pronounce -- in no uncertain terms -- that Rittenhouse is guilty of murder. When challenged, they just double down.

It's no wonder the Second Amendment is in trouble in this country.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2021, 02:26:00 PM »
I remain deeply disappointed that there are multiple members on one of the pro-gun, pro-2A discussion forums who continue to pronounce -- in no uncertain terms -- that Rittenhouse is guilty of murder. When challenged, they just double down.

It's no wonder the Second Amendment is in trouble in this country.
I believe I have noticed that before.  Some people seem to get in the mindset that if you self defense wasn't perfectly done it doesn't count.  But I haven't read the comments you mention.  Wonder if those people are not really as pro-2A, pro-self defense as they claim to be.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2021, 02:39:21 PM »
rittenhouse-1" border="0
                         - Barack Obama