Author Topic: Rittenhouse trial  (Read 53868 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Rittenhouse trial
« Reply #200 on: November 11, 2021, 08:56:49 AM »
A few points...

First, the prosecutor's question...it is not just a violation of the judge's ruling, it's a violation of Rittenhouse's Constitutional Right to Remain Silent under the 5th Amendment.  I was a prosecutor, and that right there is one of the most basic rules of criminal trials...you cannot ask a defendant about remaining silent.  Period.

Mistrial are not just a result of prosecution misconduct.  Anything procedural that goes wrong during a trial that taints the jury's ability to fairly rule on a case can cause a mistrial.  Often times, a mistrial can result from an honest mistake, so you basically start over with a new jury pool.  An example I experienced was the judge, defense counsel and I discussing an evidentiary issue in the judge's chambers, not knowing the judge's wireless microphone had broken and was on (it would not turn off).  The jury was in the courtroom and heard too much of the discussion before a deputy ignored the Do Not Enter sign on the office door and came in to tell us.  Oops.

Now, if the judge declares a mistrial and dismissed the case with prejudice, it's done.  The State cannot appeal, because it would amount to double jeopardy.  That's why judge's very rarely dismiss with prejudice...fundamental fairness to both sides.  But, given the way the judge ripped tge prosecutor's ass for this misconduct, I'll guess that it's possible but not likely.  If there is a conviction, which I doubt, this will be on the appeal.  And the judge knows this.  And judge's don't like to have decisions reversed. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #201 on: November 11, 2021, 09:07:38 AM »
Back when I was working for the newspaper I knew the guy who was sitting as the county judge. His family and my family had been friends for many years...

I forget the context of why I asked him, probably something that I had read on the AP news wires in my job as a reporter, but I asked him if he had ever dismissed a case with prejudice. He said that hardly any cases are dismissed with prejudice...

He also made the judge in the Rittenhouse trial look like a cuddly teddy bear most of the time. He was one grouchy SOB on the bench.  :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #202 on: November 11, 2021, 09:18:23 AM »
Oddly enough, I just found a news article about a case being dismissed with prejudice in Ohio earlier this month.

https://www.yahoo.com/now/menacing-case-against-local-jeweler-040100583.html
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

griz

• friend
« Reply #203 on: November 11, 2021, 09:42:06 AM »
I watched a lot of the trial from yesterday.  The part I liked best was when the prosecutor asked Rittenhouse how he knew that it was illegal for him to have a pistol in WI but a rifle was OK.  He answered that police officers told him that when they were shooting at the range.  The prosecutor objected that it was hearsay, and the judge pointed out that he ask the question himself.

My experience in court cases is very limited, but I'll bet a judge doesn't rip into the prosecutor like that very often.  He was almost speechless.

As an aside:  Other than the usual "I suffered a lot from the results of my bad choices and you have a lot of money", why does Gaige think the state should give him 10 million dollars?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #204 on: November 11, 2021, 09:48:07 AM »

As an aside:  Other than the usual "I suffered a lot from the results of my bad choices and you have a lot of money", why does Gaige think the state should give him 10 million dollars?

He a leftist.  The government (at many levels) has been quite happy to fund the activities of people like that via lawsuit settlements.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #205 on: November 11, 2021, 10:06:10 AM »
"As an aside:  Other than the usual "I suffered a lot from the results of my bad choices and you have a lot of money", why does Gaige think the state should give him 10 million dollars?"

Wait, what?

He's filed a lawsuit against the state? I've missed that tidbit.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #206 on: November 11, 2021, 10:25:53 AM »
Apparently you can't find "Kyle Rittenhouse" in any friendface search. I was unaware that they had classified him as a "mass murderer". Also unaware they had a "counterterrorism unit". What a bunch of jackwagons.

A screenshot posted by Daily Caller shows no results when “Kyle Rittenhouse” is typed into the Facebook search bar and Fox News found the same result. The Epoch Times also found the same result.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/facebook-users-unable-to-find-results-when-searching-for-kyle-rittenhouse-amid-teens-homicide-trial_4098567.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #207 on: November 11, 2021, 10:26:04 AM »
"As an aside:  Other than the usual "I suffered a lot from the results of my bad choices and you have a lot of money", why does Gaige think the state should give him 10 million dollars?"

Wait, what?

He's filed a lawsuit against the state? I've missed that tidbit.

State of WI, and the feds.  $10m in each suit.  That was a big part of the cross examination questions from the defense when he was on the stand.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #208 on: November 11, 2021, 10:38:36 AM »
"Your Honor, the State would like to file an appeal of the not guilty verdicts in this case."
"Mr. Prosecutor, what are your grounds for the appeal?"
"Your Honor, the grounds are that we are a bunch of dumb asses."
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #209 on: November 11, 2021, 11:03:09 AM »
Apparently you can't find "Kyle Rittenhouse" in any friendface search. I was unaware that they had classified him as a "mass murderer". Also unaware they had a "counterterrorism unit". What a bunch of jackwagons.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/facebook-users-unable-to-find-results-when-searching-for-kyle-rittenhouse-amid-teens-homicide-trial_4098567.html

Are there any results if you search for the three people he shot in self defense?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #210 on: November 11, 2021, 11:07:23 AM »

Remember it being reported FB classified him a "mass murderer" immediately after his name was released to the public   
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 12:03:42 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #211 on: November 11, 2021, 11:39:14 AM »
How about the moment when Rittenhouse said one of the perps threatened to cut his heart out, and the prosecutor said they didn't need specifics like that.  :rofl:

Years ago I was told that a cardinal rule for attorneys with witness at trial was, "If you don't know the answer, don't ask the question."

Case in point.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #212 on: November 11, 2021, 11:52:52 AM »
My account on FB was permanently deleted because I was defending Rittenhouse's actions. Everything from 2009-2021 gone including posts from now dead relatives, and my FB messenger account. Almost solely because I defended the Kenosha kid. I also got dinged for a few spicy memes, and for talking about gun training. Even though it was a plain vanilla gun class. I guess at the end they were just piling on complaints.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #213 on: November 11, 2021, 11:53:56 AM »
Oddly enough, I just found a news article about a case being dismissed with prejudice in Ohio earlier this month.

https://www.yahoo.com/now/menacing-case-against-local-jeweler-040100583.html
Interesting.  Sounds like one of the golfers knew someone. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #214 on: November 11, 2021, 12:01:57 PM »
Interesting.  Sounds like one of the golfers knew someone. 

If the golfers knew someone then the case wouldn't have been dismissed.

The charges were against the jeweler, who supposedly pulled a gun on the golfers.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #215 on: November 11, 2021, 12:05:18 PM »
My account on FB was permanently deleted because I was defending Rittenhouse's actions. Everything from 2009-2021 gone including posts from now dead relatives, and my FB messenger account. Almost solely because I defended the Kenosha kid. I also got dinged for a few spicy memes, and for talking about gun training. Even though it was a plain vanilla gun class. I guess at the end they were just piling on complaints.

They permazucked me the day after I got into an argument with a guy who was maintaining that African-Americans deserved special treatment purely on the basis of being African-American... They didn't tell me exactly why, but I'm guessing he sent wayback machine, and reported everything. They did send me one link about selling gun parts. I made some muzzle brakes back around 2015 or so...

High school, college, work and army buddies, tons of photographs... business connections, etc... Gone.
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #216 on: November 11, 2021, 12:10:53 PM »

They permazucked me the day after I got into an argument with a guy who was maintaining that African-Americans deserved special treatment purely on the basis of being African-American...

Wonder if asking just where is African-America would get you banned?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #217 on: November 11, 2021, 12:21:43 PM »
Grosskreutz made it to Good Morning America. Glad to see the media is being impartial.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #218 on: November 11, 2021, 12:30:36 PM »
If the golfers knew someone then the case wouldn't have been dismissed.

The charges were against the jeweler, who supposedly pulled a gun on the golfers.
I was thinking in the prosecutor's office to actually get charges filed and the case brought to court.  Obviously not the judge.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #219 on: November 11, 2021, 12:30:48 PM »

They permazucked me the day after I got into an argument with a guy who was maintaining that African-Americans deserved special treatment purely on the basis of being African-American... They didn't tell me exactly why, but I'm guessing he sent wayback machine, and reported everything. They did send me one link about selling gun parts. I made some muzzle brakes back around 2015 or so...

High school, college, work and army buddies, tons of photographs... business connections, etc... Gone.

Which is why I every now and then will have FB bundle everything up, and I download it.

Settings, your facebutt information, view. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #220 on: November 11, 2021, 12:31:21 PM »
Grosskreutz made it to Good Morning America. Glad to see the media is being impartial.

Did they bill him as the Hero Medic of Kenosha?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #221 on: November 11, 2021, 12:32:57 PM »
To be honest, I'm surprised that I still have a Facespace account given some of the stuff that I posted/shared over the last couple of years.

I've really backed off in what I post, though, since I took my current job. They have a really stringent social media policy, and even though my account is locked down as tightly as I can get it... I simply don't trust it not to get back to my employer.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #222 on: November 11, 2021, 01:05:28 PM »
Merriam Webster for some odd reason, really related to nothing, decided that today was a good day to highlight the definition, "crocodile tears".

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/11/11/did-merriam-webster-really-troll-kyle-rittenhouse/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #223 on: November 11, 2021, 01:16:32 PM »
Binger just stepped in it again.  The judge just yelled at him again but this time with the jury in the room, then sent them out.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #224 on: November 11, 2021, 01:20:41 PM »
When you get your news from only certain sources:

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2021/11/11/another-red-pilled-progressive-admits-her-progressive-bubble-made-rittenhouse-case-seem-like-a-very-different-case/

And I will add, from a personal viewpoint, that I too, did not get well-rounded information on this case, even though I try to look at various news sources. It actually wasn't until yesterday that I learned the full extent of Rosenbaum's disgusting crimes, and only because Twitchy linked to his full arrest record. I don't want to be crass, but:

Rosenbaum sucked a little kid's dick. Rosenbaum made a little kid suck his dick. Rosenbaum stuck his dick in a little kid's anus. Rosenbaum is lucky he was shot and killed. Rosenbaum deserved to be slowly tortured to death. People like Anna Novarro are calling for sympathy for Rosenbaum because the "white supremacist shot him". Those people could do with a bullet in the head as well. What disgusting excuses for human beings.