Author Topic: Rittenhouse trial  (Read 53844 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Rittenhouse trial
« Reply #300 on: November 15, 2021, 12:02:26 PM »
And the ruling on the weapons charge takes the wind out of the sails of one of my FB friends...

She was going on and on and on how Rittenhouse was guilty of the gun charge, which by extension meant he was also guilty of murder.

Oops...

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #301 on: November 15, 2021, 12:06:28 PM »
How many free steps will an acquitted Rittenhouse take before being arrested by federal agents for hate crimes or domestic terror charges?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #302 on: November 15, 2021, 12:14:28 PM »
And the ruling on the weapons charge takes the wind out of the sails of one of my FB friends...

She was going on and on and on how Rittenhouse was guilty of the gun charge, which by extension meant he was also guilty of murder.

Oops...

I’m guessing she isn’t concerned at all about arson, assault, and looting that the “victims” were engaged in. Those violations of the law are A-OK in her book.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #303 on: November 15, 2021, 12:21:42 PM »
I’m guessing she isn’t concerned at all about arson, assault, and looting that the “victims” were engaged in. Those violations of the law are A-OK in her book.

As long as the right left people are doing it.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #304 on: November 15, 2021, 12:27:24 PM »

But those were mostly peaceful protests!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #305 on: November 15, 2021, 12:40:38 PM »
How long do you suppose deliberations will last?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #306 on: November 15, 2021, 12:59:37 PM »
How many free steps will an acquitted Rittenhouse take before being arrested by federal agents for hate crimes or domestic terror charges?

I haven't seen anything yet, but from the behavior of this DOJ so far, he won't get many steps. I also would expect them to use their favorite "domestic terrorist" line. I don't see any way of it sticking, and he would likely go free at some point. But it's all about breaking people via the process.

Kyle will likely get a bunch of pro bono defense offers if this happens, but not everyone the feds do this crap to gets that lucky.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #307 on: November 15, 2021, 01:11:55 PM »
I haven't seen anything yet, but from the behavior of this DOJ so far, he won't get many steps. I also would expect them to use their favorite "domestic terrorist" line. I don't see any way of it sticking, and he would likely go free at some point. But it's all about breaking people via the process.

Kyle will likely get a bunch of pro bono defense offers if this happens, but not everyone the feds do this crap to gets that lucky.

The process is, in many way, the punishment.

I just hope Robert Barnes is at least on level involved after the verdict is in, whichever way things go.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #308 on: November 15, 2021, 01:16:03 PM »
How long do you suppose deliberations will last?

The longer it takes the more likely at least lesser included charges are going to return guilty verdicts.  A very fast deliberation will either mean guilty on all charges or not guilty due to self defense on all charges.  I’d say guilty is more likely in a super fast decision.  A modestly long deliberation (say, a decision by tomorrow evening) is likely a not guilty verdict on at least the most serious charges.  If it runs past Thursday I’d say it’s heading for a hung jury on some or all counts.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #309 on: November 15, 2021, 01:37:13 PM »
Closing arguments.

"You lose the right to self-defense when you're the one who brought the gun." "You can't claim self-defense against an unarmed man."

https://twitter.com/i/status/1460303719262826496

More prosecutor wisdom at:

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2021/11/15/the-hell-kyle-rittenhouse-trial-ada-thomas-binger-claims-you-lose-the-right-to-self-defense-when-youre-the-one-who-brought-the-gun-video/

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #310 on: November 15, 2021, 01:41:50 PM »
Hmmm . . . if they're afraid of violent riots when Kyle is acquitted . . . doesn't that mean it would be his assailant's supporters who are prone to violent rioting? And wouldn't that suggest that the people Kyle shot were the same kind of people?

If I were a juror and heard/saw some of what's being said OUTSIDE of court, my inclination would be to acquit now, even if it wasn't before.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #311 on: November 15, 2021, 01:42:45 PM »
""You lose the right to self-defense when you're the one who brought the gun." "You can't claim self-defense against an unarmed man.""

Wow... I'm really glad that I'm not on the jury. I would not be able to control my outburst at that.

Does the prosecution close first or last?

I'm hoping first, and I hope that the defense shoves that statement up Binger's ass sideways.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #312 on: November 15, 2021, 01:45:31 PM »
Excellent.

Prosecution goes first in closing arguments.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #313 on: November 15, 2021, 01:47:55 PM »
""You lose the right to self-defense when you're the one who brought the gun." "You can't claim self-defense against an unarmed man.""

Wow... I'm really glad that I'm not on the jury. I would not be able to control my outburst at that.

In this day and age if there are any liberals on that jury what the prosecutor said will be one of those "the science is setter" "facts" to them.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #314 on: November 15, 2021, 02:06:06 PM »
Closing arguments.

"You lose the right to self-defense when you're the one who brought the gun." "You can't claim self-defense against an unarmed man."

https://twitter.com/i/status/1460303719262826496

More prosecutor wisdom at:

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2021/11/15/the-hell-kyle-rittenhouse-trial-ada-thomas-binger-claims-you-lose-the-right-to-self-defense-when-youre-the-one-who-brought-the-gun-video/

The key bit is “provoking other people.” If the jury buys the story he was pointing the rifle at people right before the first shooting he is in serious trouble. There really wasn’t anything in the trial except that grainy video at the end, but who knows what a jury will do?

It’s better to never face a jury than have a great case.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #315 on: November 15, 2021, 02:07:19 PM »
I am listening to Steven Crowder's livestream.  I thought CNN or someone said the prosecutor gets to rebut the defense after the defense closing arguments.  Anyone know how it is done in Wisconsin?

For closing arguments, the prosecutor is talking an awful long time and practically reintroducing evidence.  There needs to be a fixed time limit.  He is playing videos and such.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #316 on: November 15, 2021, 02:22:41 PM »
I thought I heard that each side gets 2.5 hours for their closing argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #317 on: November 15, 2021, 02:24:01 PM »
I thought I heard that each side gets 2.5 hours for their closing argument.
I heard that also last week.  2.5 hours is a very very long time.  Should be more like 30 minutes. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #318 on: November 15, 2021, 02:44:25 PM »
The key bit is “provoking other people.” If the jury buys the story he was pointing the rifle at people right before the first shooting he is in serious trouble. There really wasn’t anything in the trial except that grainy video at the end, but who knows what a jury will do?

It’s better to never face a jury than have a great case.

This is an untrue statement.  Under WI (and many others) law, while provoking, or threatening, a third party can be it's own crime, once he disengaged and ran he regains the right to self defense.  Once one party communicates the desire to stop the engagement  everyone is supposed to stop. By pursuing and cornering Kyle, Rosenbaum became the aggressor and Kyle had the right to defend himself.

And that's if you believe Kyle decided to be a southpaw for a sec and pointed the rifle at anyone.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #319 on: November 15, 2021, 02:55:23 PM »
This is an untrue statement.  Under WI (and many others) law, while provoking, or threatening, a third party can be it's own crime, once he disengaged and ran he regains the right to self defense.  Once one party communicates the desire to stop the engagement  everyone is supposed to stop. By pursuing and cornering Kyle, Rosenbaum became the aggressor and Kyle had the right to defend himself.

And that's if you believe Kyle decided to be a southpaw for a sec and pointed the rifle at anyone.

That’s a great argument on the evidence and in general - unfortunately the prosecutor was not so generous, and there is a non-zero possibility the jury believes his version of provocation which was offered against a jury instruction quite different to your explanation of the law of WI.

It is absolutely true to say that if the jury believes the line about pointing the gun first, he’s in serious trouble. Because that means everything about his encounter with the first decedent turns on exhausting all avenues of retreat. Will they buy the provocation arguments?

Hard to say, but sure is a good reason to think it’s better to avoid these situations in the first place.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #320 on: November 15, 2021, 03:02:24 PM »
36 pages of jury instructions.

That seems like it isn't succinct and easy to understand for lay people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #321 on: November 15, 2021, 03:03:30 PM »
Holy crap. I thought this was just some conservatives making fun of the prosecution with an internet image, but Binger actually used this image from "Roadhouse" in closing statements, also telling the jury, "Many of you have probably been in a barfight before..."

https://twitter.com/i/status/1460303717866119172

Also, in the movie, an unarmed Dalton killed that guy.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #322 on: November 15, 2021, 03:06:15 PM »
And the bad guy was armed.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #323 on: November 15, 2021, 03:10:33 PM »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #324 on: November 15, 2021, 03:11:15 PM »
Unbelievably brave heroes:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1460315228210614282
Did they ask her which one was the convicted pedophile?