Author Topic: Rittenhouse trial  (Read 53028 times)

De Selby

• friend
Re: Rittenhouse trial
« Reply #425 on: November 17, 2021, 01:55:25 AM »
A legal question:  If the judge rules it's a mistrial with prejudice, can the Feds still charge him?

Google “separate sovereigns” doctrine
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #426 on: November 17, 2021, 02:41:03 AM »
The Rodney King cops caught federal charges after the jury in the state level case acquitted them.  A mistrial with prejudice is functionally equivalent to an acquittal.  Legally it might be different, but if anything it would make a federal case easier.  So, aside from the complete miscarriage of justice such a case would represent, and the political backlash that they know won’t happen anyway, what’s to stop them?

In order for the feds to charge and prosecute him, there has to be a federal law that he broke. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any. All the people he shot were white, and he's white, so they can't claim it was a racial incident or a hate crime.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #427 on: November 17, 2021, 03:44:19 AM »
In order for the feds to charge and prosecute him, there has to be a federal law that he broke. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any. All the people he shot were white, and he's white, so they can't claim it was a racial incident or a hate crime.

What federal law did the Rodney King cops break?

They claimed civil rights violations because there weren’t any federal laws broken.  It was case that never should have happened but it did and it set precedent as a result. 

The whites Rittenhouse killed were the good kind. [NPR voice] Clearly [/NPR Voice]. So it can still be a racist hate crime. 

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #428 on: November 17, 2021, 06:01:43 AM »
The Rodney King cops caught federal charges after the jury in the state level case acquitted them.  A mistrial with prejudice is functionally equivalent to an acquittal.  Legally it might be different, but if anything it would make a federal case easier.  So, aside from the complete miscarriage of justice such a case would represent, and the political backlash that they know won’t happen anyway, what’s to stop them?

I’m sure the Biden regime has instructed the feds to file charges as soon as an acquittal or mistrial occurs.

The government will crush you when it wants to crush you using unlimited resources and law and order doesn’t mean a damn thing.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #429 on: November 17, 2021, 06:12:16 AM »
I decided that if I was a lower life form I would go after him federally for denial of the deceased first amendment rights, obviously a hate crime because he used terrorism. Lock him in pretrial confinement until the world forgets. Few months of sleep deprivation and sign this and you can be free.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #430 on: November 17, 2021, 07:05:08 AM »

They could still claim civil rights violations. It's been done before when the perp and victim have been the same race.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #431 on: November 17, 2021, 07:53:00 AM »
I decided that if I was a lower life form I would go after him federally for denial of the deceased first amendment rights, obviously a hate crime because he used terrorism. Lock him in pretrial confinement until the world forgets. Few months of sleep deprivation and sign this and you can be free.

Look at what they are doing to 06JAN protestors. People are still being held without bail, and I shockingly read recently that some of them have "accidently" been put in situations where they were beaten during their one hour of free time while others have been denied basic needs, like showers.

I never thought I would be in a situation where I had to talk about the United States, the beacon of freedom in the world, as if we were North Korea, but here we are. Thanks deep state.

Lay low and stay under the radar, and don't call the feds.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #432 on: November 17, 2021, 08:01:43 AM »
I've read that the Jan 6 political prisoners have been told no vaccination = no haircuts, shaving or religious services.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #433 on: November 17, 2021, 08:11:56 AM »

Never underestimate the left's, MSM's, and Fed Govt's ability to twist anything they want, no matter how stupid it may be, into a racist hate crime.

Our unarmed heroes of justice were peacefully protesting for a black justice cause in an unjust racist white supremacist country when a flag waving Trump supporter chased them down and gunned them down in the street. Thus he committed a chargeable racist hate crime against black justice protesters.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 08:26:57 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #434 on: November 17, 2021, 08:14:49 AM »
Never underestimate the left's, MSM's, and Fed Govt's ability to twist anything they want, no matter how stupid it may be, into a racist hate crime.
Our unarmed heroes of justice were peacefully protesting for a black justice cause in an unjust racist white supremacist country when a flag waving Trump supporter chased them down and gunned them down in the street thus he committed a chargeable racist hate crime against black justice.

They are singing the praises of a violent pedophile as if he were a saint. You don't need to know more than that to see how whacko they are.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #435 on: November 17, 2021, 08:16:49 AM »
I expect Biden to announce hate crime charges are to be filed and tax payer money to be coming soon to the families of the fallen heroes and the lone survivor of this attack no matter the jury's decision.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 08:37:32 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #436 on: November 17, 2021, 08:22:21 AM »
This is only hearsay, but I have read stuff by this guy before, and he seems to generally post reliable information:

Jacek Posobiec 🇺🇸🇵🇱
@JackPosobiec
·
14h
Two jurors holding decision up, outright citing backlash, per US Marshal in Kenosha

I am just now listening to the news and they said that the protestors have been so loud that they can be clearly heard inside the building. I'm unsure if the jurors are sequestered there or elsewhere, but if there, and they are hearing those violent threats, the above quote seems quite plausible.

griz

• friend
« Reply #437 on: November 17, 2021, 08:57:32 AM »

Yea, I should have thought of that.  Also the Feds were ready to arrest the officer that kneeled on Floyd's neck if he was acquitted.  So I would guess some depravation of civil rights charge because of the penumbra of race.  Strange that we have come to that and still call it law.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #438 on: November 17, 2021, 09:08:34 AM »
Lucy! you got some splainin to do

SIREN: Rittenhouse lawyers file motion for a ‘mistrial with prejudice’ after catching prosecutors withholding video evidence
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/11/17/siren-rittenhouse-lawyers-file-motion-for-a-mistrial-with-prejudice-after-catching-prosecutors-withholding-video-evidence/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #439 on: November 17, 2021, 09:09:59 AM »

SIREN: Rittenhouse lawyers file motion for a ‘mistrial with prejudice’ after catching prosecutors withholding video evidence
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/11/17/siren-rittenhouse-lawyers-file-motion-for-a-mistrial-with-prejudice-after-catching-prosecutors-withholding-video-evidence/

I was just about to post that. I don't know how accurate that is, but given what we've seen from these prosecutors, I'd buy it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #440 on: November 17, 2021, 09:22:29 AM »
Very interesting.

I wonder if Binger went to the same lawschool that Mike Nifong attended...

It would explain a lot.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #441 on: November 17, 2021, 09:23:19 AM »
Quote from: Rittenhouse lawyers file motion for a ‘mistrial with prejudice’ after catching prosecutors withholding video evidence
Pros. sent a compressed version of the drone video to defense, when they had the full resolution
Lots of issues with image resolution in this trial.
Assistant District Attorney James Kraus accused defense attorneys of making a dishonest argument because the enlarged footage “shows their client is lying.” The defense team's hired video analyst used similar software to enlarge video footage during his testimony earlier Thursday, Kraus noted.

“All due respect to Your Honor, I think the defense is trying to take advantage of your lack of knowledge about technology which you’ve expressed,” Kraus said.

Schroeder’s confusion with the technical details was obvious in court. Earlier in the week, he questioned whether using the pinch-and-zoom feature on an iPad would alter an image and barred prosecutors from using that while presenting video evidence to jurors.

“I totally agree with your comment about my lack of familiarity with these concepts, although logic, I have some logical skills,” he said on Thursday. “This is a difficult concept for me, yes.”
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #442 on: November 17, 2021, 09:27:55 AM »
99% sure we're either going to have an acquittal or a mistrial with prejudice.
The latter while good will only inflame the left even more than the former and I wouldn't be surprise if hits are called for on the judge by many on the left followed by the Biden admin filing charges with many in congress cheering it on to score PC points.
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #443 on: November 17, 2021, 09:44:12 AM »
Lots of issues with image resolution in this trial.
Honestly I never considered whether the iPhone video zoom would use interpolation.  I wouldn't have assumed that it does, but I don't know that for a fact.  I know phones do tons of post-processing of photos and videos they record to get a better image out of the limited camera capabilities so I don't see why they couldn't upscale a video on playback.  However, assuming the defense were given a low resolution video presented to them as the full video, I could also see them considering the higher resolution video shown by the prosecution as likely having been upscaled.

The defense also objected to using a 4k TV for playing 1080P video as many high resolution TVs are capable of doing upscaling via interpolation.  That is also true, however I don't know if the TV in question was set up to do that.

Ultimately, though, I never saw anything in any of the video or stills they claim clearly demonstrates that Rittenhouse pointed his gun at the Zaminskis.  Do you?

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #444 on: November 17, 2021, 09:49:07 AM »
99% sure we're either going to have an acquittal or a mistrial with prejudice.
The latter while good will only inflame the left even more than the former and I wouldn't be surprise if hits are called for on the judge by many on the left followed by the Biden admin filing charges with many in congress cheering it on to score PC points.

The only logical reason for the judge to hold back on ruling on the mistrial motions is to let the jury acquit Rittenhouse, and only make the rulings if the hang or convict. 

Those persecutors need to be removed from their jobs and barred from ever working in law again.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #445 on: November 17, 2021, 09:59:16 AM »
I know the Feds filed civil rights charges against the cops in the Rodney King incident, and were prepared to do the same in the George Floyd incident - many thought that this violated the Constitution's prohibition against double jeopardy, but the contrary view prevailed. But note - in each case, the Federal civil rights charges were targeting  government employees who were alleged to have violated a person's civil rights under color of law. IANAL, but I don't see much of an opening for similar charges against Kyle - unless they just decide to proceed anyway with bogus charges based on the unspoken premise that "the process is the punishment." (The Feds were involved in the George Zimmerman case as investigators, but note, no federal charges were actually filed after Zimmerman's acquittal.)

As far as the yahoos outside the courthouse, the news report I saw said there were both "protestors" and "counter-protestors" out in front, but the newsies made no attempt to interview any or give an idea of the relative size of the two groups.

I still don't see that every person on a Kenosha jury will vote to convict Kyle of anything since even the prosecutor said the perps were involved in the rioting that destroyed a good part of their home town. But it only takes one person who either loves antifa/blm, hates guns, or is intimidated by the protestors to dig in their heels as a lone voice for conviction and hang the jury.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #446 on: November 17, 2021, 10:09:10 AM »
So if I got this right.
What they're saying is the prosecution took a clear(er) high res video, made a compressed lower res copy or at the very least withheld the higher res ver, then "enhanced" the low res compressed ver, then showed the jury the "enhanced" version and then basically told the jury what they were seeing in the glob of pixels.
Right?

Image recording by it's very nature creates image artifacts, compressing it creates more image artifacts, then "Enhancing" creates even more image artifacts on top of that.
 :facepalm:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 10:34:57 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #447 on: November 17, 2021, 10:33:10 AM »
Find a jpeg with small details. Lets call it Photo A
Resize it to half, save as Photo B. Note every time you save a jpeg, which is a compressed format, the image is recompressed* thus losing detail each time.
Then resize it back.
Zoom in on small tiny details and compare both.

*Many programs allow you to adjust how much compression is applied when saving.
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #448 on: November 17, 2021, 10:35:39 AM »
Find a jpeg with small details. Lets call it Photo A
Resize it to half, save as Photo B. Note every time you save a jpeg, which is a compressed format, the image is recompressed thus losing detail each time.
Then resize it back.
Zoom in on small tiny details and compare both.

Oddly enough, exactly what I've spent my morning doing... grabbing screen captures using Snipit, saving them as pictures, and importing them into documents I'm working on.

Depending on how I save it, the image suffers. A lot.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #449 on: November 17, 2021, 10:40:13 AM »

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama