Author Topic: Rittenhouse trial  (Read 53018 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Rittenhouse trial
« Reply #775 on: December 01, 2021, 10:03:45 AM »
If he starts doing things as a public figure, does that undermine his potential defamation/libel lawsuits?

IANAL but my guess would be "Yes."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #776 on: December 01, 2021, 10:13:10 AM »
If he starts doing things as a public figure, does that undermine his potential defamation/libel lawsuits?

From my understanding, only going forward.  Liable committed previously when was not a “public person” is still more easily actionable.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #777 on: December 01, 2021, 11:01:58 AM »

If this was a just world his willing enterance into public figurehood after the defamation took place it shouldn't.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #778 on: December 01, 2021, 11:05:52 AM »

IMHO, it probably does for libel going forward.  It does not affect lawsuits for defamation that occurred last year.
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #779 on: December 01, 2021, 10:02:14 PM »
My head hurts

Watch: ASU students protest ‘racist murderer’ Kyle Rittenhouse, who isn’t enrolled there but whose ancestors killed black and brown people
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/12/01/watch-asu-students-protest-racist-murderer-kyle-rittenhouse-who-isnt-enrolled-there-but-whose-ancestors-killed-black-and-brown-people/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #780 on: December 02, 2021, 12:41:33 AM »
My head hurts

Watch: ASU students protest ‘racist murderer’ Kyle Rittenhouse, who isn’t enrolled there but whose ancestors killed black and brown people
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/12/01/watch-asu-students-protest-racist-murderer-kyle-rittenhouse-who-isnt-enrolled-there-but-whose-ancestors-killed-black-and-brown-people/

Oh, he IS enrolled there but only for on-line classes.
And, if those demonstrators feel that ASU is a "white supremacist" university, they should find another college !
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #781 on: December 02, 2021, 09:45:58 AM »
MAC looks at the forward assist and Rittenhouse using it to get his rifle going again that night.
Amazing he did so fast in the heat of the moment.

Kyle Rittenhouse and the AR15 Forward Assist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_cdXSVmVxw
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #783 on: December 02, 2021, 10:39:08 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #784 on: December 02, 2021, 10:40:31 AM »
That immediately shuts down a lot of the spittlescreechers.

It's probably in a safe.
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #786 on: December 02, 2021, 10:47:18 AM »
On some level I really can’t blame him.  While he could have sold it for 10-100x it’s normal worth, it would be something of a ghastly relic of the events and given his PTSD over it, destroying the rifle is probably the best thing for him.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #787 on: December 02, 2021, 10:48:17 AM »
Bodycam Footage of the pulled over NBC Producer who was following the KR Jury Bus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVd3p9wJJVo
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #788 on: December 02, 2021, 10:54:31 AM »
On some level I really can’t blame him.  While he could have sold it for 10-100x it’s normal worth, it would be something of a ghastly relic of the events and given his PTSD over it, destroying the rifle is probably the best thing for him.

Sold off the Glock 26 I had my little accident with. There was nothing wrong with the gun just every time I picked it up it gave me unpleasant feelings. Wouldn't mind having another G26 just not that one. It's a mental thing
- Calvin and Hobbes

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #789 on: December 02, 2021, 10:54:42 AM »
Lin Wood has always been a bit nutty, but I think the 2020 election just completely sent him off the deep end.
I plan to file defamation actions against all republishers of the false accusation of Kyle Rittenhouse,” Wood claimed, listing off the likes of Republican Reps. Dan Crenshaw and Marjorie Taylor Greene, along with the hosts of Fox & Friends, and Pizzagate conspiracy theorist Jack Posobiec as future defendants.

“I’ll sue every damn one of them,” he declared. “They acted with reckless disregard for truth or falsity. On my time, I am going to sue every damn one of them.”

I agree. I think it's easy for people to get caught up in all the attached culture war, memes & political posturing and view it as a "win". For Kyle it was probably the worst night of his life and saving a memento of that makes no sense.

In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #790 on: December 02, 2021, 10:59:59 AM »

I get that, and maybe it was MSM biased reporting, but it just sounded like a PR move similar to his BLM comment. Might have been better to say nothing unless asked, then simply say "I destroyed it" or similar, maybe even mentioning PTSD.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #791 on: December 03, 2021, 02:05:27 AM »
FWIW, it would make more sense to me if he gave it or sold it to a trustworthy 3rd party, so they could quietly sell it (or the parts), w/o mentioning its provenance.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #792 on: December 03, 2021, 06:01:30 AM »
I wonder if he kept the optics. Someone noticed they were gone at the trial. Sounds trivial, but they should have the same emotional / PR loading, no?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #793 on: December 03, 2021, 07:34:24 AM »
The Guardian Angels would never have been formed if the cops and courts had been doing their damned jobs - their formation was a very public rebuke to the authorities.

Gee, you think? The entire impetus for GA's formation was the staggeringly high crime rates in the NY city subways.

The reaction from Koch and the power structure in the city at the time was that the GAs were FAR FAR FAR worse, vicious, dangerous, etc., than the criminals.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #794 on: December 03, 2021, 09:14:58 AM »
FWIW, it would make more sense to me if he gave it or sold it to a trustworthy 3rd party, so they could quietly sell it (or the parts), w/o mentioning its provenance.

But, destroying it probably had cathartic value. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #795 on: December 03, 2021, 06:40:46 PM »
I think its silly to assign an air of "evilness" to an inanimate object like the AR15 that Kyle used to defend himself against some very bad people.

I have a Mosin-Nagant made in 1939. Given the date, there's an excellent chance some son of Mother Russia used it on some Nazis. I don't mind knowing that at all.
(Oops - I mentioned Nazis. I hope in this context it doesn't mean I just Godwin'd this thread . . . I really didn't mean to.  :facepalm: )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #796 on: December 03, 2021, 07:59:23 PM »
Wouldn’t it still be in evidence for the straw purchase trial?

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #797 on: December 03, 2021, 11:35:05 PM »
Wouldn’t it still be in evidence for the straw purchase trial?

Given they dismissed the illegal possession charge, and Kyle was found justified by self defense there’s no crime committed with the rifle, so one would think those charges against Dominic Black would have to be dropped.  Possible they won’t, just because they’re dicks.  But, if Kyle got the rifle back I’m thinking they must have dropped the charges against his friend.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #798 on: December 04, 2021, 01:22:19 AM »
Given they dismissed the illegal possession charge, and Kyle was found justified by self defense there’s no crime committed with the rifle, so one would think those charges against Dominic Black would have to be dropped.  Possible they won’t, just because they’re dicks.  But, if Kyle got the rifle back I’m thinking they must have dropped the charges against his friend.
Nope, not dropped yet.  Technically the charge is selling a gun to someone under 18, which is different than providing a gun to someone under 18.

Given that the case against Black isn’t dropped, I doubt Rittenhouse has had the rifle destroyed, although he may have told the state he doesn’t want it back or something.

https://wcca.wicourts.gov/caseDetail.html?caseNo=2020CF001275&countyNo=30&index=0&mode=details

Pb

• friend
« Reply #799 on: December 04, 2021, 11:47:31 AM »
But, destroying it probably had cathartic value.

I sold a gun that gave me hyperacusis because I couldn't stand to have it around any more.