Author Topic: Emergency med kits?  (Read 1002 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Emergency med kits?
« on: September 19, 2021, 04:58:28 PM »
I have wanted a really good med kit for a long time and looked and priced but either the kit didn’t have what I thought it needed or the cost was the equivalent of a mortgage payment.
I’m finally getting closer.
I bought the Costco med kit because it was on sale for $25 and because it had room for the other things it needed. It’s basically a red nylon zippered family kit with ring binders and the usual bandaids and burn cream etc. I had room to add 2 Israeli compression bandages, 2 quick clots, and a milsurp suture kit, some extra NSAIDS, extra Benadryl, an expired epipen. So I’m up to about $100. Now I’m thinking I need to assemble another 1 or 2.
I also have fire extinguishers in each vehicle but want to move to the element sticks. Another $100 but at least they don’t expire.
I also keep water, cynilmgloves and a blanket in each vehicle.
Any thoughts on what I’m missing or should consider?
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Emergency med kits?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 05:49:04 PM »
Tourniquet

CPR shield

Chest seals
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 05:54:56 PM »
I think he can skip the CPR shield. I think most organizations are teaching CPR only now, no mouth to mouth.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 06:26:38 PM »
Add some duct tape and Saran Wrap.  You can improvise an effective wound seal with it.
Add some good tweezers, a good set of medic shears, and a pair of bandage scissors.  Medic tape.
I like to throw the SWAT-T tourniquet in my bag.  With some gauze pads, it can make an effective pressure bandage in addition to tourniquet duty
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 09:48:04 PM »
a book or chart on emergency procedures/old merk manual?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 10:09:56 PM »
Kinda depends on your purpose.   For instance, you might want a kit...

1) That is a totally normal first aid/first responded kit who's purpose is to keep someone alive 3-5 minutes until the emt's show up. Car accident/heart attack type kit.
2) Kit specifically addressing a known hazard. 
3) Military type kit.  Basically first responded with a focus on acute wounds and an expectation of access to higher levels of care
4) Survival kit.  In case *expletive deleted*it happens and I can't get higher levels of care, what can I do to keep someone going?
5) "I want to start my own trauma hospital.  Does veterinarian grade isoflurane work on humans?  Asking for a friend..."

One other thing I'd like to add:  It's my belief that your medical training is probably more valuable than any kit.  Medical tools and consumables can certainly enhance the capabilities of a well trained person, but the tools themselves are of limited value to someone who doesn't know what to do in a medical emergency.  Get training.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 10:22:56 PM »
https://www.ar500armor.com/ar-ifak-refill.html

Decent base IFAK refill,  add $24 bucks for a pouch.  Solid basic trama kit,  add your own band aids and aspirin and you're good to go.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 04:31:55 AM »
I had training but it was many years ago. I have tape and shears and forceps in my kit.
It’s in my Jeep because that’s usually nearby when cutting firewood or hunting or fishing or camping etc when I’m most likely to need it. That or roadside accident injuries.
We had an incident here a few years ago when a 26 year old was bow hunting and killed a decent buck and himself. He slipped with a sharp knife and cut himself badly. Bad enough that he bled out on a atv trying to get to help. I think about things like that when I’m out by myself.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 10:20:13 PM »
Add some duct tape and Saran Wrap.  You can improvise an effective wound seal with it.
Add some good tweezers, a good set of medic shears, and a pair of bandage scissors.  Medic tape.
I like to throw the SWAT-T tourniquet in my bag.  With some gauze pads, it can make an effective pressure bandage in addition to tourniquet duty

add ace bandages and feminine pads (not tampons)
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 05:26:27 PM »
Many years ago, the wife and I went camping fairly frequently.  The first aid kits back then were almost useless so I made my own.
Starting with a sealable Tupperware box that was ~ 7" deep by 10" wide and 12" long, I put sterile gauze pads of various sizes in their own Zip-loc bags (qt. and/or sandwich sizes) and sucked the air out as I shut them.   Generic bandaids of assorted sizes were treated in the same manner but I used those smaller "snack-sized" bags for them.  I also put all 3 kinds of "tape" (paper, plastic, cloth) in for holding pads in place.
Liquid medicines (91% IPA, peroxide, iodine) were also sealed in appropriately sized bags (gallon for the IPA, snack for the iodine).  Both "ace" elastic wrap and clean gauze rolls in 2-4 different widths were bagged separately as well as some cotton swabs, balls, and roll.  In addition to the iodine, we also carried antibiotic ointment, NSAIDs, acetaminophen, straight & curved hemostats, needle-pointed tweezers, asst. length "stay closed" tweezers, a scalpel with replaceable blades, small, curved blade scissors, and 2 longer straight blade scissors(3" & 5").
Other than an occasional bandaid or gauze pad, we never needed much from this box except for the NSAIDs.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 05:49:17 PM »
Oh, here's another thing to add - vet wrap. I've been putting that in all my first aid kits nowadays. It eliminates having to use tape for a lot of wound care.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2021, 02:31:50 PM »
Oh, here's another thing to add - vet wrap. I've been putting that in all my first aid kits nowadays. It eliminates having to use tape for a lot of wound care.

If by "vet wrap" you are referring to that stuff that sticks to itself, yes, that is good stuff to have.  It wasn't readily available back then and was rather expensive.  IIRC, the brand/trade name is "Koban" and it can also be used as a tourniquet.  Wrap it above the affected limb with a stick under it as well.  Twist the stick to tighten and slow the blood flow or ease up to let blood flow to maintain life in the extremity.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2021, 05:19:02 PM »
Bad enough that he bled out on a atv trying to get to help. I think about things like that when I’m out by myself.

A Tourniquet may have saved him. Tourniquet are the reason we had less deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan. ( compared to other wars )
Every service member down range has a tourniquet on them, Right pants pocket normally, it's now part of the duty uniform now.     

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2021, 09:56:07 PM »
A Tourniquet may have saved him. Tourniquet are the reason we had less deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan. ( compared to other wars )
Every service member down range has a tourniquet on them, Right pants pocket normally, it's now part of the duty uniform now.   

We only ever had TKs in the IFAK, on a flack, but it's been a minute since I was in.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.