Author Topic: The CDC and covid.  (Read 2359 times)

freakazoid

• friend
The CDC and covid.
« on: September 22, 2021, 08:58:11 PM »
It looks like the Biden administration is planning on opening up, and putting on restrictions at the same time, for international air travel to the US sometime in November.
Reading articles on it it mentions the CDC "In the coming weeks, CDC will be issuing a contact tracing order requiring airlines to collect current information for each U.S.-bound traveler, including their phone number and email address," Zients said." How have they been given the authority to do this!?
Also, I keeps seeing references to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Has this always been their name or is this a new thing they are calling themselves or like a specific branch within the CDC or something?
Also, I keep seeing "science based policies" repeated quite often...
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: The CDC and covid.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 10:18:29 PM »
The CDC has recently assumed some authority they don't really have.  Remember the rental evictions moratorium they reinstated last month?  That was not something legally in their purview, but they did it anyway.  I expect they will continue those types of actions.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 01:33:45 AM »
Their name has always been Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Getting contact info so they can track down anyone that traveled into the country with an infected person would seem to fall under their mission, and fed.gov has a lot of leeway with what they do at the border.  Why do you think it wouldn't  be in their purview?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 09:58:04 AM »
Their name has always been Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Getting contact info so they can track down anyone that traveled into the country with an infected person would seem to fall under their mission, and fed.gov has a lot of leeway with what they do at the border.  Why do you think it wouldn't  be in their purview?
I wouldn't want it in their authority.  However, if the executive branch can legally do it, they should make recommendations and the office of the President should pass orders to one of the other agencies.  IMO, the CDC shouldn't be issuing orders out themselves. 

I heard someone recently talking about the failure of elected politicians.  They don't want to make a decision so they dump it on the unelected bureaucrats to issue orders and keep their name out of it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 10:13:20 AM »
Meanwhile at the border
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 10:50:09 AM »
I wouldn't want it in their authority.  However, if the executive branch can legally do it, they should make recommendations and the office of the President should pass orders to one of the other agencies.  IMO, the CDC shouldn't be issuing orders out themselves. 

I heard someone recently talking about the failure of elected politicians.  They don't want to make a decision so they dump it on the unelected bureaucrats to issue orders and keep their name out of it.

Why?  Seriously.  CDC has overstepped the rational bounds of their authority several times during this pandemic (the eviction thing for sure) but in what way is collecting the needed info to trace and contact people coming into the country that were forced to be in close proximity to folks that may or may not be infected not their actual mission? 

We could go back to having Dr.s check everyone at the border and holding people on Ellis Island until the disease runs it's course, but this seems easier.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 03:40:36 PM »
The CDC? I thought their job was studying and preventing gun violence.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 04:33:29 PM »
Well they don't investigate perps or you would be under a microscope.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 04:41:29 PM »
Ouch!
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 04:49:05 PM »
I still always read his name as perp. I'm sure it's fistfuls fault.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2021, 09:58:55 PM »
Why?  Seriously.  CDC has overstepped the rational bounds of their authority several times during this pandemic (the eviction thing for sure) but in what way is collecting the needed info to trace and contact people coming into the country that were forced to be in close proximity to folks that may or may not be infected not their actual mission? 

We could go back to having Dr.s check everyone at the border and holding people on Ellis Island until the disease runs it's course, but this seems easier.

Because they've never done this before with all the other diseases that have always existed. Because tracking people like.this is wrong. Because it won't stop here. Because essentially making laws  of any kind is outside of what they should be able to do. Why would they only do this with unvaccinated if it was truly to do... something about Covid? Etc. Etc. Etc
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2021, 07:12:18 AM »
Contact tracing has been done with other diseases, as well as earlier with this one.  As I mentioned,  the other often used technique in the past was forced quarantines. Would you prefer they set up camps?

They aren't  "tracking people" they are making sure they can get ahold of people for testing if someone on the plane come up with COVID.

They don't  "only do this with the unvaccinated" the blurb clearly  says "each US bound traveler".

This is not the forth reich, it's a pretty simple and non-intrusive way to help keep new COVID cases and/or variants from coming in to the country.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2021, 08:37:25 AM »
Contact tracing has been done with other diseases, as well as earlier with this one.  As I mentioned,  the other often used technique in the past was forced quarantines. Would you prefer they set up camps?

They aren't  "tracking people" they are making sure they can get ahold of people for testing if someone on the plane come up with COVID.

They don't  "only do this with the unvaccinated" the blurb clearly  says "each US bound traveler".

This is not the forth reich, it's a pretty simple and non-intrusive way to help keep new COVID cases and/or variants from coming in to the country.
To me it is a chain of command issue.  At a point, those actions should go through the elected President.  Otherwise, you might as well have FedGov agencies take over completely.     

[tinfoil]
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2021, 08:46:18 AM »

So, if contact tracing is so important why aren't they doing it at the southern border?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2021, 10:43:34 AM »
So, if contact tracing is so important why aren't they doing it at the southern border?

Because  they are *expletive deleted*ing up by the numbers at the southern border?

Because CDC and Customs doesn't have a convenient checkpoint to get a cell number?

Because illegal immigration isn't the same as legal travel through ports of entry?

I'm not sure that was the stinger you seemed to think it was.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2021, 11:35:26 AM »
I don't really have a problem with the concept of contact tracing per se.

What I do have problems with is the absolute bullshyt they are attempting to force feed us on the whole pandemic crisis mess.

Yes Covid-19 is real, yes some people get really sick and die because of it. There is a better than 99% chance that if a person gets the 'rona they will NOT die from it.

This "pandemic" has been politicized beyond belief for what I believe to be a means of fast tracking what only a few years ago would have been seen as draconian tyranny in the name of "safety". We have lockdowns/quarantines, mask mandates, small businesses forced to close while the big box stores were allowed to essentially carry on business as usual.

Meanwhile, our "betters" ever more brazenly flaunt their elite status by ignoring their own mandates while demanding mandatory vaccinations with what is essentially an unproven vaccine with a sketchy, highly politicized approval process.

We are seeing the beginnings of segments of society being demonized and dehumanized for their resistance to forced vaccinations with very thinly veiled threats of serous repercussions for not bending your knee to the decrees of our almighty government. A government that is and absolute freak show headed by a senile, doddering old pedophile and a woman that basically whored herself out to make her political career. If you look back at history this should scare the hell out of you.

The government's frontline spokeswoman, White house Press Secretary Psaki is an total laughing stock of a human being, Baghdad Bob was more credible.
https://www.foxnews.com/search-results/search?q=Psaki

The flusterlcuck on the southern border is beyond belief. we are expected to accept the above mentioned covid restrictions while tens of thousands of illegal immigrants are allowed to cross the border and are then being dispersed through out the country with no health checks, no vaccinations, no accountability and no vetting as to who they really are.

We are witnessing the destruction of the USA from within.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2021, 01:04:37 PM »
I don't really have a problem with the concept of contact tracing per se.

What I do have problems with is the absolute bullshyt they are attempting to force feed us on the whole pandemic crisis mess.

Yes Covid-19 is real, yes some people get really sick and die because of it. There is a better than 99% chance that if a person gets the 'rona they will NOT die from it.

This "pandemic" has been politicized beyond belief for what I believe to be a means of fast tracking what only a few years ago would have been seen as draconian tyranny in the name of "safety". We have lockdowns/quarantines, mask mandates, small businesses forced to close while the big box stores were allowed to essentially carry on business as usual.

Meanwhile, our "betters" ever more brazenly flaunt their elite status by ignoring their own mandates while demanding mandatory vaccinations with what is essentially an unproven vaccine with a sketchy, highly politicized approval process.

We are seeing the beginnings of segments of society being demonized and dehumanized for their resistance to forced vaccinations with very thinly veiled threats of serous repercussions for not bending your knee to the decrees of our almighty government. A government that is and absolute freak show headed by a senile, doddering old pedophile and a woman that basically whored herself out to make her political career. If you look back at history this should scare the hell out of you.

The government's frontline spokeswoman, White house Press Secretary Psaki is an total laughing stock of a human being, Baghdad Bob was more credible.
https://www.foxnews.com/search-results/search?q=Psaki

The flusterlcuck on the southern border is beyond belief. we are expected to accept the above mentioned covid restrictions while tens of thousands of illegal immigrants are allowed to cross the border and are then being dispersed through out the country with no health checks, no vaccinations, no accountability and no vetting as to who they really are.

We are witnessing the destruction of the USA from within.

This sums it up perfectly for me
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2021, 01:05:02 PM »
Because  they are *expletive deleted*ing up by the numbers at the southern border?

Because CDC and Customs doesn't have a convenient checkpoint to get a cell number?

Because illegal immigration isn't the same as legal travel through ports of entry?

I'm not sure that was the stinger you seemed to think it was.
Bullshit.  They could get control of the border if there was the political will do it.  That has always been the case.  They don't want to. 

From the pictures I have seen, a large number of these illegals lately have cell phones.  They aren't all the poor and destitute some would have you believe. 

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2021, 01:19:01 PM »
Bullshit.  They could get control of the border if there was the political will do it.  That has always been the case.  They don't want to. 

From the pictures I have seen, a large number of these illegals lately have cell phones.  They aren't all the poor and destitute some would have you believe.

Which part of my statement and your statement is mutually exclusive?

Yes they are *expletive deleted*ing up at the border.  Yes there is no political will to change it.  That's true.

That doesn't change the fact that taking down cell phone numbers of people on flights so they can be contacted if someone on that flight has COVID is a decent public health measure during a pandemic.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2021, 02:29:00 PM »
The fact remains that the Centers for Disease Control was founded for the express purposes of a) studying and preventing gun violence, b) making our speech more inclusive and less offensive. For the Centers for Disease Control to be re-purposed into controlling diseases like covid is just pure madness, which should be opposed by all Americans. 

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2021, 10:07:53 PM »
That doesn't change the fact that taking down cell phone numbers of people on flights so they can be contacted if someone on that flight has COVID is a decent public health measure during a pandemic.

Yeah. I'm sure it will totally not be used for anything else once they get the system in place and will definitely only ever be used to simply let someone know that someone on the flight had Covid.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2021, 11:02:48 PM »
The bottom line:

They are pushing the hysteria with the excuse of what is basically a Really Nasty Cold that can kill MOSTLY bedridden invalids with terminal illnesses with DNR orders on file.

SOME anecdotal cases of non-geezers dying WITH it are out there.

But unless you're counting the holes in the ceiling, on the 1.5 hours you are conscious daily, I don't think you have to worry much.

But you should be scared. Because you want to be safe. SAFETY is of the utmost importance.

Under the age of 30, I wonder how many sports injuries kill more people than the 'rona.
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2021, 11:28:47 PM »
Is anyone else tired of hearing people say, "stay safe" all the time? A pox on that. Safety is all well and good, but the obsession with safety of late is not safe at all. And not American.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2021, 11:37:06 PM »
Here in St. Louis City, which never really "locked down" for a real "quarantine," we are at over 99.8% survival of the worst pandemic evar.

Because, gee. It is SO contagious that it swims upstream in beer taps.

Which cased speakeasies to open.

REALLY.

People want to congregate. And talk to each other.

Blog under construction

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2021, 01:45:20 AM »
Is anyone else tired of hearing people say, "stay safe" all the time? A pox on that. Safety is all well and good, but the obsession with safety of late is not safe at all. And not American.

Yes.   I want tee shirts. Huge letters. "Safety second"- "first do your *expletive deleted*ing job."

SAAAAFFFFTTTYYYY is the reason we are going out of our minds.  O noes the covids!! Oh noes the gunz! Oh noes the global warmings. it goes on and on like safety is the reason for life.