Author Topic: Switching to YouTube TV, also Roku price drop  (Read 956 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Switching to YouTube TV, also Roku price drop
« on: September 23, 2021, 04:34:14 PM »
Doing some bill centralization and concluded that we don't watch near enough cable TV content to justify UVerse TV. Poked around and found out that YouTube TV has all the channels we watch, including local, and is $120 a month less than we're paying now. UVerse Customer Retention lady tried like hell to get me to stay, even getting the monthly price down to within $25 of YouTube TV and throwing in some surprising internet service discounts, but only as a 12-month promo rate on both. On the upside, she got us into a new internet plan that's twice as fast and 20% less. Bonus.

Signed up last night. Very satisfied with picture quality. Sound is a little disappointing on my HT system as the XBox app provides stereo only, no 5.1 surround. Minor quibble, though, as my amp has an AI-generated pseudo surround mode which works amazingly well. Everything else in the house is straightforward 2-channel stereo at most. Mobile app seems lightweight and is decently easy to use.

Also, if you've been eyeballing Roku, the Walmart-exclusive version of Roku Ultra LT is normally $69 but marked $49 at my local WalMart. Might check your local WM to see if it's the same there. We have one in our master bedroom and like it. Picked up another for the living room TV since the UVerse box is going away. Interface is responsive, picture quality is very good, and it has a headphone jack in the remote. It says it'll do 4K but I haven't run any 4K content through it to check quality. We had a streaming stick at first and hated it. It was sluggish, had frequent pixilation issues during high screen activity, and was prone to dropping connection.

Brad
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 04:46:42 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Switching to YouTube TV, also Roku price drop
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 08:43:21 PM »
I am probably going to go for one of the T-Mobile internet via cell network gizmos after Thanksgiving... Seem to be pretty good, about about what I'm paying for 30 gigs of hotspot on the phone.

Cutting those wires...
Blog under construction

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 02:15:08 PM »
I am probably going to go for one of the T-Mobile internet via cell network gizmos after Thanksgiving... Seem to be pretty good, about about what I'm paying for 30 gigs of hotspot on the phone.

Cutting those wires...

TMobiles not up in my area yet.  But I was an early subscriber to Verizon 5G Home Internet and all I can say is WOW!  $70 a month with no data caps.  getting 400-500 Mps over wifi.  No outages, 4K video no issues, no lag on XBox Live.  Cable can go suck it

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 05:25:40 PM »
SWMBO and I are one or two generations behind as far as our attitude toward local news, which keeps us tethered to cable despite the fact that we could dispense with the rest. That said, our Roku with its various services are indispensable.

Also keeping us in an intractable state is Comcast's pricing scheme, which makes internet-only more expensive than the cable combo.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 03:00:42 PM »
Figured I would tack this on here. I just received this email from youtube:

Hi Ben,

We know that you love watching the wide variety of live sports, news, and shows available to you on YouTube TV. That’s why we have been working so hard to renew our deal with NBCUniversal to continue carrying their content on YouTube TV. However, since our agreement expires on Thursday, September 30, 2021, and we have not yet been able to reach an equitable agreement, we wanted to give you an early heads-up so you understand your choices.

Our ask is that NBCU treats YouTube TV like any other distributor. In other words, for the duration of our agreement, YouTube TV seeks the same rates that services of similar size get from NBCU so we can continue offering YouTube TV to members at a competitive and fair price.

If NBCU offers us the equitable terms we are asking for, we will renew our agreement with them. However, if we are unable to reach a deal by Thursday, the NBCU lineup of channels will no longer be available on YouTube TV, and we will decrease our monthly price from $64.99 to $54.99 (while this content remains off our platform).

At that time, you can sign up for NBCUniversal’s own streaming service, Peacock Premium,* which NBC currently offers starting at $4.99/month to continue watching NBCU content, such as live football.

While we would love every member to stay with our service, we understand that you may still choose to pause or cancel your membership. We want to make YouTube TV flexible, so members can pause or cancel anytime. We will give you updates as negotiations continue, and going forward, please continue to check this webpage for additional information and updates.

Recall around a year ago I started a topic complaining about youtube raising their rate and was looking at dumping them. Typical Ben, I complained a lot but ended up not dumping them. I'd be happy if their deal with NBC falls through. I can't think of anything I watch that's on that network. Seems like youtube's biggest concern is the footballs. Saving ten bucks a month would make the service more reasonable to me. I'm actually surprised that a single network is worth a $10 reduction in fees to youtube.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 05:14:45 PM »
Unless it affects our local channels, I'm not terribly concerned. I can stream de foozball on ESPN+ the two or three times a year I might watch it.

Update on our changeover... So far, very acceptable. Surprising, in fact. Picture quality is as good as Uverse was, sometimes better. Roku interface is easier to navigate for streaming services, plus being capable of non-Uverse apps. Sound is meh on the basement HT system (no 5.1 or Dolby Digital), but perfectly adequate on the bedroom and living room sets. No big deal on the basement, though, as most of what we watch there is on disc or streamed on services that support 5.1/DD. The YouTube TV sound issue is easily solved by engaging Surround AI on my receiver (thank you, Yamaha, for this wonderfully effective little feature).

Internet speeds are stable and SpeedTest right at advertised (50/10). Ping and jitter are unchanged from the previous service. Left the gateway set up for passthrough to an ASUS 1900 router. The setup has been rock stable since installed earlier this year. Unless it goes Tango Uniform, there's no reason to change and lots of reasons not to.

As far as billing goes, AT&T lived up to their word. Changeover was this weekend so logged into the account last night to check the account. Internet service is the $55 a month they quoted. Home phone service is unchanged. Factoring in the cost of YouTube TV and all the taxes/fees, our net monthly savings is almost exactly $100 with no impact on desired programming.

Only hiccup was the tech did the switchover without calling to give us a heads up. The service drop was only a few minutes, but it interrupted SWMBO right in the middle of trying to compile a huge, important, extremely time consuming, and very connection-sensitive report that was due first thing Monday morning. He apologized profusely but it still cost me lots of "Sorry, Babes", many tears on my shoulder, and a nice dinner to fix.

Last week we got notified that Vexus is about to begin installing fiber in our 'hood. Yay, I thought, but alas. A check of reviews left me with no desire to swap. Almost to a person, the reviews cited poor network stability, frequent service interruptions, and uniformly horrible customer service. Google rating is a meager two stars. Nope. Our current service functions to expectations and AT&T has been surprisingly responsive the few time we've had issues. Really the only time we had a significant problem was when a neighborhood service node went down. Other than that, it was mainly wifi drops which were solved by putting the AT&T gateway in passthrough and setting up a third-party router.

Brad
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 04:18:59 PM by Brad Johnson »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 05:52:47 PM »
We switched to YouTube TV a couple months ago and it’s been fine until the notice that they might be losing the nbc group. That includes bravo, which is my wife’s main channel, and pretty much the only reason we have live TV. Now I’ll need to find out where else to get it. Don’t really feel like going back to Hulu live.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 01:00:26 AM »
https://thefederalist.com/2021/10/25/in-predatory-contract-negotiations-google-comes-for-roku/
For months, Roku and Google have been engaged in contract negotiations over the fate of YouTube on Roku’s platform. Last week, Google announced there was still no resolution, and that on December 9 it will end all distribution on new Roku devices. Roku customers will no longer be able to download the YouTube or YouTube TV apps. (Service will remain unaffected for existing users who have already downloaded the apps.)

The issue, according to Roku, is not money — in a recent blog post, Roku claimed the company “has not asked for a single change in the financial terms of our existing agreement” — but the extractive terms of the deal Google is offering.

Based on this, I'm wondering if we should get a new Roku next month, before Google pulls the plug. We're on our second hand-me-down Roku, and it's been resetting itself fairly often of late. I think I'll get a Roku Express 4K, and install YouTube before the deadline.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 03:44:41 AM »
I tried to use SlingTV again for college football this year.  It is pretty bad trying to watch recorded games and the "storage" is pretty limited.  I switched over to YoutubeTV and it is a whole lot better.  I think they must have bought out the old Sony PlayStation View format.  I can just select NCAA football and it will save all those games to watch.  Even does okay when trying to skip past commercials.  SlingTV was trying to lock me out of doing that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 07:46:40 AM »
Wait, you dropped Uverse?

YOU'RE TAKING MONEY OUT OF MY POCKET, YOU BASTARD! :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 08:08:59 AM »
I complained about Youtube TV around a year ago here when they massively upped the price, but here I am, still grumbling and still on Youtube TV. This Google/Roku feud is disturbing to me. As much as I love Samsung TVs, their internet capabilities suck. Stuff like Youtube, Amazon Prime, etc. all works way, way better on the Roku than on the Samsung interface.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 08:45:56 AM »
I complained about Youtube TV around a year ago here when they massively upped the price, but here I am, still grumbling and still on Youtube TV. This Google/Roku feud is disturbing to me. As much as I love Samsung TVs, their internet capabilities suck. Stuff like Youtube, Amazon Prime, etc. all works way, way better on the Roku than on the Samsung interface.
My Samsung TV is working okay so far.  An upgrade to consider.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 09:02:59 AM »

I've never been a fan of "smart" TVs, I prefer just to get Roku type device and hard wire it back to my router.

I also think I would go through a couple Roku before the TV died, not so sure if the smart part would be upgraded through out the life of the TV.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 09:11:53 AM »
I've never been a fan of "smart" TVs, I prefer just to get Roku type device and hard wire it back to my router.

I also think I would go through a couple Roku before the TV died, not so sure if the smart part would be upgraded through out the life of the TV.

I liked my last TV being a dumb TV, but you can't get them anymore, at least not in a good brand. My Roku is also on a cat6. I really think they work better that way vs wireless. The TV is on cat6 too, but the Samsung interface is still wonky, IMO.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2021, 10:41:54 AM »
Wait, you dropped Uverse?

YOU'RE TAKING MONEY OUT OF MY POCKET, YOU BASTARD! :rofl:

Stickin' it to Da Man.  =D

I liked my last TV being a dumb TV, but you can't get them anymore, at least not in a good brand. .

Actually you can, it's just not well known outside tech circles. Search for "commercial TV" or "monitor" in the size and brand you want. It's the same panel, just without all the "Smart" foofery.

I think I'll get a Roku Express 4K, and install YouTube before the deadline.

Might look at the Ultra LT. It's a WalMart exclusive. I think it has a better processing engine than the Express and the current price of $50 is only ten or fifteen bucks more. That bit extra gets you Dolby Vision support, better wifi (or so they say), a built-in ethernet port, and a remote with voice control and a headphone jack. Downside is it lacks the USB port that the Express includes.

https://www.roku.com/products/compare

Brad
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 12:05:07 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2021, 02:02:58 PM »
Well, if they drop roku support all together you can still use a Firestick, Apple TV, Xbox or PlayStation to stream.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2021, 02:25:26 PM »
I don't see them dropping it altogether or, if they do, for any length of time. Too many people use Roku to access their service for them to afford the subscriber loss. It's a PR ploy to try and force a renegotiation. It'll get settled, likely at the last minute and with great fanfare.

Brad
-HankB

JN01

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2021, 11:30:28 PM »
I don't see them dropping it altogether or, if they do, for any length of time. Too many people use Roku to access their service for them to afford the subscriber loss. It's a PR ploy to try and force a renegotiation. It'll get settled, likely at the last minute and with great fanfare.

Brad

Yep, a few months ago, it was the same situation with the Spectrum TV streaming app.  They dropped them for a couple weeks then came to an agreement.