Author Topic: Well this is pretty cool...  (Read 557 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Well this is pretty cool...
« on: September 24, 2021, 09:56:41 AM »
Did any of you know that Eaton builds in wirestrippers for 12 and 14 gauge wire in its electrical outlets?

I never knew this, but hell, what a neat idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzyOLVoUpqA
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Well this is pretty cool...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 10:14:58 AM »
Did any of you know that Eaton builds in wirestrippers for 12 and 14 gauge wire in its electrical outlets?

I never knew this, but hell, what a neat idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzyOLVoUpqA

I'll have to remember that when I don't have my wire strippers handy.

I also don't use the stripping gauge since I loop the wire around the screw. Dad is an electrician and too many years of that drilled my head to use a stab back. As my dad said a few times: "Amateurs poke. Professionals screw"
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 10:45:38 AM »
I've taken a quick look and it's only Eaton that offers this nifty little add in. Leviton and Pass and Seymour don't.

"I also don't use the stripping gauge since I loop the wire around the screw."

The wire stripping gauge on the outlet gives you the proper strip length for either backstabbing OR looping around the screw.

Or, in the really cool outlets (which I always try to buy), the screw compression plate.

"As my dad said a few times: "Amateurs poke. Professionals screw""

I agree 100% with your Dad on that. I HATE spring clamp backstabs. They don't hold properly, they're prone to failure, leaving an open circuit and dead downstream outlets, and I've seen evidence of arcing in more than a few I've pulled over the years.

About 10 years ago I came here with a question trying to diagnose intermittently dead outlets in my three bathrooms.

Turned out to be a failed backstab... on my outdoor patio outlet.

The wire routing was -- Electric panel -> GFCI outlet mounted next to the panel -> outdoor patio outlet -> outlets in the three bathrooms.

Obviously they did it that way to get GFCI protection on all of those outlets when GFCIs were new and expensive as all hell. But it took me awhile to figure out.

As I noted above, though, the clamping screw plate backstabs? Those are the absolute tits.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 11:05:44 AM »

I also don't use the stripping gauge since I loop the wire around the screw. Dad is an electrician and too many years of that drilled my head to use a stab back. As my dad said a few times: "Amateurs poke. Professionals screw"

That's the only "right" way to do it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 08:33:47 AM »
I never trusted anything that used point or linear contact with any kind of decent power transfer from here to there.

Sorta OK for digital levels, I guess, but anything where current ("Intensity," I) and resistance is greater than zero results in power loss. Power loss ("I2R losses") = heat.  I hate generating heat in my connections.

Also sprach Georg Ohm.

=D

« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 09:49:13 AM by 230RN »