Author Topic: Captain Kirk is Going Where He's Never Gone Before  (Read 2782 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: Captain Kirk is Going Where He's Never Gone Before
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 06:56:09 PM »
really awesome!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 08:05:59 PM »
“I … want to thank every Amazon employee, and every Amazon customer, because you guys paid for all this,” Bezos told reporters after returning from the trip. “So seriously, for every Amazon customer out there, and every Amazon employee, thank you from the bottom of my heart, very much. It’s very appreciated.”

Why do I think Amazon employees would feel much more appreciated if they weren't subjected to inhumane working conditions?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 08:07:30 PM »
And from what I hear from the ones here in St. Louis, they're getting paid pretty well for performance.
Blog under construction

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 09:03:46 PM »
There's a fulfilment center not far from me.  Word in the courthouse hallways is that the meth available in the parking lot is pharmaceutical grade, and the hookers have most of their own teeth.

Jokes aside, I'll admit that I am envious.  This crew that did the three days...if I could afford it, I'd go.  In my youth, I had aspirations of being an astronaut.  Higher math classes proved...problematic. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 09:14:32 PM »
And from what I hear from the ones here in St. Louis, they're getting paid pretty well for performance.

As long as they don't stop to pee they can do OK is what I have heard. ;)

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/646161/secrets-amazon-warehouse-employees

bob

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 11:09:59 PM »
Every shop, there's always someone who thinks that he's gonna get paid for spending half the shift in the shiiter.
Blog under construction

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2021, 02:21:55 AM »
Every shop, there's always someone who thinks that he's gonna get paid for spending half the shift in the shiiter.

wait, how else do they keep up with facebook?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2021, 08:27:03 AM »
Why do I think Amazon employees would feel much more appreciated if they weren't subjected to inhumane working conditions?

I’m thinking you read too many propaganda articles (haven’t been news articles in years). Lately they’ve been on an anti Amazon push just like Walmart was the focus 15-20 years ago.

I think the main crime Amazon is committing is requiring their employees to work. Every “news” article I’ve seen so far has been short on fact and long on emotional bullshit with lots of subtle commie crap. Right now the unions are really trying to get their hooks into Amazon and then their close allies in the propaganda corps is all about helping that along.

You want some bad working conditions I’ll show you them. They are a lot worse than a climate controlled warehouse where you are out of the rain, snow, and beating sun and you aren’t having *expletive deleted*it fall all on you. But curiously the news articles aren’t rushing to cover those kinds of jobs.

Also I hope the news articles keep bitching and Amazon replaces most of these no skill jobs with real automated order pickers like are in some other warehouses. I saw ones in the Cat warehouses where they speed along tracks, pull the bin, bring it to the shipper guy to put them into a box, and return the bin a lot faster than a human, and they can’t whine to the right press about having to do a job.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2021, 10:05:11 AM »
Also I hope the news articles keep bitching and Amazon replaces most of these no skill jobs with real automated order pickers like are in some other warehouses. I saw ones in the Cat warehouses where they speed along tracks, pull the bin, bring it to the shipper guy to put them into a box, and return the bin a lot faster than a human, and they can’t whine to the right press about having to do a job.

I was on the engineering team overseeing the construction of one of those automated warehouses -- for a train maintenance facility. The warehouse is eight or ten stories high and the whole thing is run by computers, delivering parts to an order desk in another building. Except if/when maintenance is needed, there are no humans in the warehouse.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 07:03:15 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2021, 04:17:26 PM »
Bill should hold out for a Crew Dragon ride.  Why go to space for 5 minutes when you can go for 3 days?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2021, 04:20:07 PM »
Bill should hold out for a Crew Dragon ride.  Why go to space for 5 minutes when you can go for 3 days?

Well he is 90.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2021, 04:24:49 PM »
Well he is 90.

That's what I was figuring. Otherwise I would agree with kgb about taking the better ride. At 90, he probably figures just getting to "official" space is an accomplishment.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2021, 05:50:08 PM »
That's what I was figuring. Otherwise I would agree with kgb about taking the better ride. At 90, he probably figures just getting to "official" space is an accomplishment.  =)

Well yeah, but do you guys really expect me to pass up an opportunity to cast shade on Jeff Who's Blown Orifice?   >:D

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2021, 07:56:20 AM »
8:30 am EDT (12:30 GMT) Live coverage begins.
10:00 am EDT (14:00 GMT) Launch scheduled.
Launch site: Corn Ranch (Blue Origin Suborbital Launch Facility) near Van Horn, TX
Destination: Suborbital (straight up, straight down)
A Blue Origin New Shepard suborbital rocket will launch 4 crew members to an approximate altitude of 105 km. On board will be actor William Shatner, Blue Origin flight operations director Audrey Powers, Chris Boshuizen, and Glen de Vries. Delayed from Oct 12 due to high winds in the forecast.

LIVE: Blue Origin launches William Shatner to space!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omBKsLPeGIc

Blue Origin - NS-18 New Shepard Space Flight Mission with William Shatner On-Board | Live Launch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEhdlIor-do
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 09:23:20 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2021, 08:55:37 AM »
The crew should consider wearing green skin pigment for the mission.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2021, 09:02:29 AM »
The crew should consider wearing green skin pigment for the mission.   =)

The women at least. Maybe the men can wear pointy ears
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2021, 09:07:55 AM »
He's 90. BO better hope he don't stroke out. That would be some bad bad PR
- Calvin and Hobbes

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2021, 09:16:49 AM »
I went to youtube to watch the launch on Blue Origin's channel and I am greeted with "Video unavailable
This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated."

Ha!

edit:  I may have clicked on an imposter channel.  Here's the correct one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEhdlIor-do
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2021, 09:23:05 AM »
He's 90. BO better hope he don't stroke out. That would be some bad bad PR

I'm wishing him all the best, but if I were 90 year old Bill Shatner, I think dying at apogee would be way cooler than dying in bed.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2021, 09:35:01 AM »
I'm wishing him all the best, but if I were 90 year old Bill Shatner, I think dying at apogee would be way cooler than dying in bed.

Great for Bill but bad for Jeff*

*Not that I really give a *expletive deleted*it about Jeff though.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2021, 10:16:51 AM »

The sucking up to Jeff is killing me.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2021, 10:18:51 AM »
Case in point.
No Jeff is not an experienced astronaut  [barf]
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2021, 10:42:31 AM »
Let's go Brandon, whoops I mean Shatner
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2021, 10:50:45 AM »
Launch
- Calvin and Hobbes