Author Topic: More sailing pics  (Read 556 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
More sailing pics
« on: September 25, 2021, 09:58:50 PM »
Got a few more pics of my boat under sail.

A little telephoto compression going on here, I'm not that close to the shore.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: More sailing pics
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 10:35:50 PM »
That's a very pretty ketch. Nice, classic lines -- not like so many of the more modern Clorox bottle sailboats.

Roller reefing on the Genny? Do you also have a smaller working jib that mounts aft of the bowsprit, and only extends part way up the mast?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 11:06:33 PM »
No staysail (cutter rig) on this one. Plain ole sloop rigged ketch. 3 sails are enough for me to manage at one time anyway.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 12:59:28 AM »
No staysail (cutter rig) on this one. Plain ole sloop rigged ketch. 3 sails are enough for me to manage at one time anyway.
I wasn't talking about a staysail. That's a small-ish Genoa jib. I would have expected there to also be a smaller, working jib for days when the Genny is a bit too much. Maybe that doesn't happen on inland lakes, but it happens frequently in coasting around Maine.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 07:28:42 AM »
Oh that's lovely!   =)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 08:37:33 AM »
I wasn't talking about a staysail. That's a small-ish Genoa jib. I would have expected there to also be a smaller, working jib for days when the Genny is a bit too much. Maybe that doesn't happen on inland lakes, but it happens frequently in coasting around Maine.

Ah, gotcha. With the roller furler/reefer if I need a smaller head sail I just roll it up as need. It has a luff pad to help maintain proper sail shape. With that type of head sail arrangement changing sails is a bit more involved than just with hank-on jibs.

Samuel Adams

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 10:05:16 AM »
Eh - Ah - When you headed for Tahiti?

I can't think of a better way to go than under sail!

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 11:05:48 AM »
Eh - Ah - When you headed for Tahiti?

I can't think of a better way to go than under sail!

Woody

This boat has already been to Tahiti.
The story I got from the guy I bought it from:

The original Owner, a wealthy Cushing, Oklahoma oil man, bought the boat new, had it fitted out for ocean voyaging and then he and his girlfriend sailed it to Tahiti.
Apparently, shortly after their arrival in Papeete the girl friend and the wife found out about each other, much hilarity ensued.
I have three sources of documentation to back up the basis for the story. A listing in the February 1981 Seawind owners association newsletter where the boat was offered for sale in Tahiti, a mention in a archived newspaper story I found on line about the owners brother where the owner is mentioned as spending most of his time on his sailing yacht in Tahiti and a carbon copy of the listing contract with a boat broker in Papeete Tahiti.
Very little info about how the boat found it's way back to Oklahoma other than the original owner had it shipped by ship back the US and brought to Grand lake some time in the mid '80s. After that I have essentially zero written history on the boat other than a few purchase receipts for various bit of gear.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2021, 12:39:31 PM »
A little musical accompaniment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmWtg7StWlk

If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2021, 12:48:33 PM »
And a fine accompaniment it is.

Samuel Adams

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2021, 12:52:49 PM »
In high school, I dreamed about sailing the south seas in the copra trade. I even designed a cat and built a "model". It had two masts, and of course it was equipped with red sails. I don't remember the name of the TV show back then but it was about sailing the south seas, taking trade, and etc.

There was that song, too, on the flip side of a poplar 45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zExXFOTi3ZY

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2021, 01:49:16 PM »
Well, come on over to this side of the state and I'll take you sailing.

When I eventually get a new set of sails for this boat I'm strongly considering red/tan bark sails for it.

Samuel Adams