Author Topic: Best grease for a sticky gas pedal?  (Read 470 times)

sumpnz

• friend
Best grease for a sticky gas pedal?
« on: September 27, 2021, 10:29:48 AM »
We “bought” (for $10, from my MIL) a 2005 Kia Sorento about a year ago.  The gas pedal has become slightly sticky.  Only when starting to press it, making it difficult to get a smooth power application.  Once past that initial point it’s totally fine.  Figuring the linkage just needs some lubricant.  What is my best bet?  White lithium grease?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Best grease for a sticky gas pedal?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 10:34:18 AM »
Is it the pedal connected directly to the throttle body via cable, or is it some type of drive-by-wire system?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 10:50:36 AM »
Should be a cable.  Not fancy enough for DBW in 2005 at least.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 11:02:06 AM »
I'd try a dry lube first.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 11:05:14 AM »
If the Sorento is like a friend's Sedona, the throttle cable is pretty much out in the open in the engine bay. No idea what connections look like under the dash, though. Factory replacement cable is surprisingly cheap so might be worth investigating replacement rather than repair.

https://www.genuinekiaparts.com/oem-parts/kia-throttle-cable-327903e200

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 11:15:56 AM »
Sure looks like it's drive by wire:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Throttle-Body-3510039800-for-Kia-Sorento-2002-2005-/192930192714?_ul=IN

Climb under the dash and see what's actually causing the stiction.  If it's the pedal position sensor binding up, replace that.  If it's the linkage, check to make sure you haven't worn a step into it that will just get worse.  If there's a step or groove, replace the linkage.  If there's not, just clean it real well and put it back together.  That kind of joint rarely requires much lube, it's probably just gunky.

ETA:  Weird, running Brads cable number through the google leads me to this exploded parts diagram: https://www.kiapartsnow.com/genuine/kia-cable-assy-acce~327903e200.html  If that's what your gas pedal looks like dollars to donuts it's the little bushings marked number 8 that have a step worn in them, or are gunked up.  I would check those.  Not sure I'd spray a bunch of lube in there, without first determining why it's sticking.  I'd hate to mask an issue that comes back later by the throttle not closing when I want it to.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 11:26:22 AM »
dogmush bet me to it. Find out what is sticking first. I think he has you on the right track.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2021, 11:34:58 AM »
Throttle Body part number shows to be 35100-39600

https://www.genuinekiaparts.com/oem-parts/kia-throttle-body-3510039600?c=Zz1mdWVsLXN5c3RlbSZzPXRocm90dGxlLWJvZHkmbD0xJm49QXNzZW1ibGllcyBQYWdlJmE9a2lhJm89c29yZW50byZ5PTIwMDUmdD1seCZlPTMtNWwtdjYtZ2Fz

All the images I can find under that part number from wrecking yards show a cable-operated setup. Can't find any mentions of DBW until around the 2010 model year, but info is a little sparse in that respect. Time to hit the engine bay with a good old-fashioned Mk1 Calibrated Eyeball.

Brad
-HankB

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2021, 10:56:33 PM »
I will try tomorrow, if I remember, to check our parts catalog. We probably have something at Big Green.
Blog under construction