Author Topic: Babylon 5 Reboot  (Read 2742 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Babylon 5 Reboot
« on: September 28, 2021, 10:41:52 AM »
A reboot of Babylon 5 has been announced, for the CW network. I'm not sure I like the sound of this, even if JMS is leading it. Sounds a little too much like Uncle Rico and his time machine. I'd love to be wrong though.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/27/22696836/babylon-5-reboot-j-michael-straczynski-warner-bros-the-cw
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Babylon 5 Reboot
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 10:49:49 AM »
I wonder if it will become a vehicle for promoting the current zeitgeist and narrative?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 11:04:29 AM »
A couple of comments -

1. I was - and am - a fan of the original B5 show. The last two seasons weren't quite up to snuff since JMS had been informed that there would be no Season 5, so he tried to cram more of the story into Season 4 . . . after which, the network DID authorize Season 5. The required rewrites didn't help things.

I wonder if it will become a vehicle for promoting the current zeitgeist and narrative?

2. On the CW? Be afraid. Be VERY afraid. The CW is The Gay Network, and they go out of their way to ruin what what should be simply entertaining shows (Batwoman, Supergirl, etc.) by putting heavy handed gay/lesbian stuff in. I do NOT want to see a "woke" version of B5.

3. JMS was supposed to be working on a prequel or sequel to one of my all time favorite movies, Forbidden Planet. Sounds like this has been indefinitely postponed. Too bad - I know he personally liked FP, and there were scenes in B5 that were directly lifted from FP.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 11:07:41 AM »
1. I'll believe it when I see it
2. Feeling a but uneasy about the whole idea considering their current mindset when it comes to remakes/reboots where they seems to be more intent on destroying old shows/movies than retelling.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 11:55:33 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 11:19:31 AM »
I don't think I could watch a CW show if I wanted to.  A quick peruse of my streaming services don't show any of them.

I suppose I'll carry on somehow.....

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 11:47:42 AM »
A reboot of Babylon 5 has been announced, for the CW network. I'm not sure I like the sound of this, even if JMS is leading it. Sounds a little too much like Uncle Rico and his time machine. I'd love to be wrong though.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/27/22696836/babylon-5-reboot-j-michael-straczynski-warner-bros-the-cw

<sigh>.

Please, no.  Is there anything that wouldn't be ruined by a wokified remake?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 12:51:59 PM »
I like Babylon 5, but do they really want to do a remake or are they so out of ideas that they are digging up any series over the last 40 years that made more than a couple seasons? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 01:39:10 PM »
I like Babylon 5, but do they really want to do a remake or are they so out of ideas that they are digging up any series over the last 40 years that made more than a couple seasons?

In that case, where's my Sledge Hammer remake?  =D
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 03:04:16 PM »
In that case, where's my Sledge Hammer remake?  =D

It's coming right after the second starsky and hutch remake.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2021, 04:31:12 PM »
This is the Amazon description of a book about this subject, indirectly.

Everybody thinks Hollywood is political. Everybody’s wrong.

You know that the big movie studios, comic book companies, and video game publishers push an agenda. What you don’t know is that the corporations in control of your entertainment aren’t grifters or ideologues. They’re evangelists of a fanatical anti-religion.

Movie producers don’t ruin beloved film franchises for profit. Comic book writers don’t warp iconic superheroes into self-parodies to sway voters. They hate their audiences with zealous fervor. They want you demoralized, they want your kids propagandized, and they want you to pay for the privilege.

Nostalgia-fueled habit keeps many of these cultists’ victims coming back for more abuse. But you can escape the cycle. In this book you’ll see how the corrupt entertainment industry hooks its customers, and you’ll gain the tools to reclaim your dignity from the Pop Cult.

Learn to stop paying people who hate you, take back your life, and have fun while you’re at it! Read on!

It's only $5 on Kindle but I'm already there, it would just be him preaching to the choir.

Ruining the the DrWho franchise was just unforgivable. The SJW will not leave anything alone, it will all be memory holed or polluted.

I try not to consume any video media these days. I tried podcasts and the best I can do is listen/watch a half hour of content. Any longer and I drift away or fall asleep :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087C4V1GM
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2021, 05:48:07 PM »

Hey, the sixties aren't completely mined out yet.  We haven't had a Mr. Ed reboot.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2021, 09:10:27 AM »
Hey, the sixties aren't completely mined out yet.  We haven't had a Mr. Ed reboot.
Don't forget My Mother The Car
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2021, 09:18:06 AM »
Never cared for Babylon 5 when it was out in the day. Maybe the reboot will be better.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2021, 12:03:07 PM »
Never cared for Babylon 5 when it was out in the day. Maybe the reboot will be better.
Hey, at least they still had some interesting visitors on B5 . . .

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2022, 09:23:18 PM »
I have been a lifelong fan of science fiction of all types. For reasons I can't remember,  I never watched Babylon 5. Was that a mistake?  Is it worth my time to watch it?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2022, 10:00:37 PM »
I have been a lifelong fan of science fiction of all types. For reasons I can't remember,  I never watched Babylon 5. Was that a mistake?  Is it worth my time to watch it?

IMHO, in general, yes.  Ignore the made for TeeVee movies.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2022, 12:26:34 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qYbVQu7YAQ
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2022, 12:41:11 AM »
Myself, I liked B5.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2022, 07:53:29 AM »
IMHO, in general, yes.  Ignore the made for TeeVee movies.

On the movies, I thought In the Beginning was good.

As to watching the original B5, yes, watch it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2022, 09:23:50 AM »

I have the same question my own self.  Interesting replies so far.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2022, 09:33:50 AM »
I've gotten a lot more fond of science fiction over the years, but when it comes to Babylon 5?

I don't really care for science suck.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2022, 09:47:58 AM »
I've gotten a lot more fond of science fiction over the years, but when it comes to Babylon 5?

I don't really care for science suck.
Everyone can't have good taste.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2022, 09:51:00 AM »
On the movies, I thought In the Beginning was good.

I'll grant that one.  The others seemed like trying to milk the franchise.

BTW, you know who those kids were he was recounting his story to?  From the family of the old friend, now out of favor at the court, who manipulated Londo into dueling and killing him in Season 2, so his family would be cared for.

As to watching the original B5, yes, watch it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2022, 10:19:18 AM »
BTW, you know who those kids were he was recounting his story to?  From the family of the old friend, now out of favor at the court, who manipulated Londo into dueling and killing him in Season 2, so his family would be cared for.

Huh, I did not know that. Londo and G'Kar were sure interesting and complex characters.

Also, I still say that Babylon 5 was one of the most cursed series on television. I don't know of any other show that had so many cast and crew deaths, most of them at such early ages.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2022, 10:20:11 AM »
Everyone can't have good taste.   =)

I fully agree with Sheldon Cooper on Babylon 5. It fails on multiple levels...