Author Topic: Babylon 5 Reboot  (Read 2662 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Babylon 5 Reboot
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2022, 11:13:06 AM »
I fully agree with Sheldon Cooper on Babylon 5. It fails on multiple levels...

There's cringy moments, sure.  But where it works, the story arcs, it works.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2022, 11:45:52 AM »
I fully agree with Sheldon Cooper on Babylon 5. It fails on multiple levels...
What did he say?  I don't watch that show.  Was he referring to "realistic physics" in the show?   

I rewatched B5 not long ago.  I think it is a good show and worth watching.  For 1990's TV SciFi, it did pretty well.  Takes some episodes for the character development to get off the ground.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2022, 12:06:41 PM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2022, 12:11:42 PM »
Why should I care what a irritating fictional character on a comedy show thinks?
I like B5 and  :P to anyone who doesn't.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2022, 12:15:58 PM »
Sheldon Cooper on Babylon 5...

https://b5books.com/babylon-5-on-the-big-bang-theory/
Thanks.  Doesn't say much.  I would be curious what people think it is "derivative" of (if anyone does) since it first aired in 1993. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2022, 12:31:29 PM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2022, 12:40:20 PM »
This is my favorite scene from In the Beginning:

https://youtu.be/ZIT9DlQoH48
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2022, 01:19:31 PM »
Why should I care what a irritating fictional character on a comedy show thinks?
I like B5 and  :P to anyone who doesn't.

You really don't know how the internet works, do you?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2022, 01:41:57 PM »
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2022, 01:48:41 PM »
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2022, 01:57:41 PM »
You really don't know how the internet works, do you?
You and I might be on a different internet.   =)

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2022, 02:01:12 PM »
Everything falls apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDzvp2dD-YA

Madness!  Total and complete madness!  This never would have happened if the humans hadn't started fighting each other.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2022, 02:03:38 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2022, 02:11:33 PM »
And towards the end of that episode:

https://youtu.be/DtNtw2HTFtA

The look of total weariness at second 45.  "Jump points opening all around us!"  "How many?"   "Four"

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2022, 02:21:29 PM »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2022, 02:32:25 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2022, 02:34:47 PM »
Everything falls apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDzvp2dD-YA

Madness!  Total and complete madness!  This never would have happened if the humans hadn't started fighting each other.

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2022, 02:35:28 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2022, 02:36:59 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2022, 02:38:49 PM »
I like how this story arc closed . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47DfQcHMYLY
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2022, 03:00:24 PM »

That's no way to talk about K Frame.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2022, 04:45:07 PM »
That's no way to talk about K Frame.

I've never seen any actual proof of your vitality either, Botboy...

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2022, 05:14:56 PM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2022, 06:40:37 PM »
Thanks.  Doesn't say much.  I would be curious what people think it is "derivative" of (if anyone does) since it first aired in 1993.

It's just painful to watch.  The story isn't engaging, the space scenes rely too heavily upon CGI while the scenes involving aliens rely too heavily on cheap practical effects that go too far while not accomplishing enough.  Less is more when it comes to representing convergent evolution of sentient bipedal life forms.  The sets are also too small.  It's a 5 mile long space station but all the scenes are shot in tiny little rooms.  The deck of Kirk's original Enterprise is larger than most B5 sets.

The space CGI scenes in B5 are nearly as bad as those from The Last Starfighter.  Except The Last Starfighter was made 12 years earlier and was novel in how they chose to emulate the graphics from the in-movie arcade game when rendering space combat.  B5 doesn't have any sort of meta-reference to itself, it just has bad effects.  It's bad in the same way that the Ray Harryhausen clay stop motion animation is bad in Jason and the Argonauts or Clash of the Titans.

Beyond all that though, it's cursed with the same problem as DS9.  Space Stations suck as settings for a long-running show.  Space craft are great settings.  Space Stations are stagnant.  Think about it in a parallel context:  would you rather watch a film based on Lewis & Clark's journey across the US?  Or would you rather watch a film based on a few years of history of a particular frontier fort... say Fort Snelling in Minnesota?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2022, 09:29:47 PM »
. . .  Think about it in a parallel context:  would you rather watch a film based on Lewis & Clark's journey across the US?  Or would you rather watch a film based on a few years of history of a particular frontier fort... say Fort Snelling in Minnesota?
They got 2 full seasons (65 episodes back then) of a TV show based at Ft. Courage.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain