Author Topic: Benelli M4 vs Beretta 1301?  (Read 2777 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Benelli M4 vs Beretta 1301?
« on: October 02, 2021, 09:01:39 AM »
I'm still in the search for a semi-auto defensive shotgun. I had really been leaning to the M4, bought have been reading and viewing a lot of really good reviews on the Beretta 1301. Does anyone here have experience shooting the 1301? I have shot the M4, but have no hands on experience with the 1301.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Benelli M4 vs Beretta 1301?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 09:08:33 AM »
The Beretta is amazing. I’ve shot the full on tactical one, my sister is issued one for work. What a beast of a shotgun. She loves it and I want one bad.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 10:48:16 AM »
Good to hear.  I see Langdon Tactical does what I consider a pretty reasonably priced version of the 1301. The standard 1301 seems to also be reasonably priced as compared to the M4. Also, fully two pounds lighter - that's pretty amazing.

I also see there don't seem to be any pistol grip or Skeltonized collapsible stock versions, at least through Beretta. That's not either a pro or con for me. My current defensive shotgun is a Mossberg 500 with the stock stock, so that's what I'm accustomed to anyway.

I'm not sure if getting the Beretta would require the wearing of short shorts though. That could be a con.  :laugh:

https://youtu.be/RI9wCsFKW9E?t=46
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 12:30:04 PM »
I'm seeing a number of different pistol grip stocks for the Beretta, or are you talking true pistol grip shorty configuration?

I, too, would be more interested if they had a folder stock.

Holy hell, the Benelli is up to almost $2,000. No freaking way.

If I were in the market for a tactical semi-auto I'd give the Beretta a try without compunction.

As it is, I'm a pump shotgun guy for serious social work.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 12:43:27 PM »
I'm seeing a number of different pistol grip stocks for the Beretta, or are you talking true pistol grip shorty configuration?

I, too, would be more interested if they had a folder stock.

Holy hell, the Benelli is up to almost $2,000. No freaking way.

If I were in the market for a tactical semi-auto I'd give the Beretta a try without compunction.

As it is, I'm a pump shotgun guy for serious social work.

Yeah, as I've watched more videos, I'm seeing the aftermarket stocks. It's just Beretta that's not making them. A negative I've seen is that there are nowhere near the amount of quality aftermarket accessories for the Beretta that there are for the M4. Though the ones I'm seeing available are add-ons that make sense, versus being tacticool doodads.

And yeah, the Beretta's price for what appears to be quality equal to the M4 is very appealing. Paying $800 more only to say I have the one the Marines use is not high on my list. I really liked shooting the M4, but don't like paying for "cool reputation".

The pump has always been my defensive shotgun, but after shooting the M4, I really saw the advantages of a well-designed and well-made semi-auto defensive shotgun.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 12:54:30 PM »
Speaking of stocks and veering my own thread, I saw this Magpul stock on the Lucky Gunner video review of the Beretta:

https://magpul.com/firearm-accessories/stocks/shotgun/sga-stock-remington-870.html?mp_global_color=118

People seem to rave about them, and it is a functional looking design with the grip being something of a standard/pistol grip hybrid. They only make them for the Rem 870 and Mossberg 500, but there is an adapter to use it on the 1301. I have a pistol grip (I forget who makes it) on my 870, but prefer to use my Mossberg 500 with a standard stock (also for some left-hand beneficial advantages to the 500).

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 07:05:02 PM »
I actually don’t own a semi shotgun. I’ve looked at the M4 before, but never pulled the trigger due to price. You may have already seen this video, but it has me looking at the 1301.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RI9wCsFKW9E

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2021, 07:21:48 PM »
I actually don’t own a semi shotgun. I’ve looked at the M4 before, but never pulled the trigger due to price. You may have already seen this video, but it has me looking at the 1301.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RI9wCsFKW9E

Yes, hence my "short shorts" comment above.  :laugh:

He made some good points though, and also referred to this Lucky Gunner video:

https://youtu.be/y2hbmGIyZ2c

I've been doing a whole lot of research today, and I think my mind is made up for the 1301. While it appears to have a bit more recoil with hot loads than the M4 (one of the things I loved about the M4 was how soft the recoil was), the 1301 seems to be more reliable with a more varied range of ammo, including light loads. Not that the M4 is unreliable. From the review videos, it was maybe one or two malfunctions with Walmart dove loads, none with combat loads, and the light load malfunctions went away after several hundred rounds. I'm not at all recoil sensitive, so I'm not worried about any slight increase in perceived recoil on the 1301. It's still gonna be less severe than recoil on my pump guns.

Both shotguns are the only semi-autos I would consider for a defensive shotgun, but the Beretta is just giving more bang for the buck. They are scarce as hens teeth right now though. I put in "notify" emails to Sportsman's Warehouse. I'm still checking online.

Langdon Tactical has their version in stock for $1600. That's actually pretty reasonable if you add up doing the same upgrades yourself. You're not saving a whole lot of money over their ready made upgrade, at least if you want the same stuff theirs comes with. I'm seeing the base model 1301 tactical for $1100, and one of the colored (OD or FDE) ones for around $1250.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 07:22:02 AM »
The geometry on that stock looks as if it would really increase felt recoil and, potentially, muzzle rise during recoil.

I'd want to try a shotgun so equipped before I invested in one.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2021, 05:00:35 PM »
https://aimsurplus.com/sds-imports-tac-12-semi-auto-18-5in-12ga-shotgun/
Military Arms Channel posted a picture of an turkish made clone of the military shotgun.  It sounded like he will be doing a review soon on it.  The one he pictured had a full length tube and adjustable stock.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUVxTm7rf7x/
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2021, 09:42:19 PM »
I'm a Benelli fanboi and I've owned a interia operated Beretta before my SBE.

Beretta and Benelli are made by the same company, so buy what fits/feels better to you.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2021, 11:02:12 PM »
https://aimsurplus.com/sds-imports-tac-12-semi-auto-18-5in-12ga-shotgun/
Military Arms Channel posted a picture of an turkish made clone of the military shotgun.  It sounded like he will be doing a review soon on it.  The one he pictured had a full length tube and adjustable stock.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUVxTm7rf7x/

This may have been posted elsewhere on the forum, but ...

TFB TV did a couple of vids in a similar vein: customizing a Black Aces semiauto shotgun and testing it on the range:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9811GuLaCIs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZi3rDHYJEU

TL;DR   don't bother with the Turkish imports.  Get a Beretta or Benelli  and call it done.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2021, 10:28:03 AM »
https://stdgun.com/toros-coppola-t4-12ga-shotgun-black/?utm_source=Standard+Mfg.+Co.+Newsletter&utm_campaign=f3f0a9e03f-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2021_09_24_04_46_COPY_09&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8f9ecb6acc-f3f0a9e03f-198727045&mc_cid=f3f0a9e03f&mc_eid=2db7shirt.

I got an email from Standard Manufacturing and it looks like they are selling an M4 clone.  The description even says it has complete component interchangeability with the USMC M4 shotgun. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2021, 10:33:52 AM »
This may have been posted elsewhere on the forum, but ...

TFB TV did a couple of vids in a similar vein: customizing a Black Aces semiauto shotgun and testing it on the range:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9811GuLaCIs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZi3rDHYJEU

TL;DR   don't bother with the Turkish imports.  Get a Beretta or Benelli  and call it done.
I would prefer to buy the real M4 if the prices were not sky high.   

There are Turkish gun makers that can do good work.  CZ shotguns are made in Turkey.  The SDS imports GI 1911 is supposed to be pretty good.  The HK MP5 clones they make are supposed to be okay.  I think it greatly depends on what the importer orders and what QA/QC is done. 

I am not in the market for one right now anyway.  I have plenty of time to wait and see what some of these reviews say.  Since the M4 patent has run out, there isn't anything stopping someone from making an exact copy.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2021, 11:58:56 AM »
I can't find anyone with a Beretta 1301 in stock right now.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2021, 02:36:11 PM »
For anyone who would consider a Benelli M2 Tactical instead of an M4:

https://www.eurooptic.com/benelli-m2-tactical-black-synthetic-tactical-stock-ghost-ring-sight-185.aspx

$1169 once you add it to your cart.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2021, 02:40:07 PM »
For anyone who would consider a Benelli M2 Tactical instead of an M4:

https://www.eurooptic.com/benelli-m2-tactical-black-synthetic-tactical-stock-ghost-ring-sight-185.aspx

$1169 once you add it to your cart.

Wow. I've never seen them that cheap.

EDIT: Uh, comprehension is key for reading. I thought you were posting an M4 price.  :laugh:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2021, 02:49:40 PM »
Same place has the M4 on sale for $1,800, and they cover the sales tax.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2021, 03:25:26 PM »
If I went M4, I'd probably go stinkin' Cabelas. They have it for $1800 as well, but I've got around $500 in Cabelas bucks right now. I really want that 1301 though.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2021, 03:44:52 PM »
I’ve shot a 1301 (just a few shots on clays). The Benelli is great and super reliable but the beretta would be my first choice.
I’ve got a few thousand rounds on my 390 Sport and the reliability is excellent and recoil is nothing. I can shoot 100 rounds at sporting clays and have no tenderness at all. I really want a 20g also.
Gun prices are way up on most models. My used 390 would bring almost 2x what I paid for it new. The quality guns are hot. 1980s Citoris, beretta O/Us, even older 1100s,1187s are bringing record high prices. Anything tacticool and quality you should just buy it if you can find it.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2021, 06:29:24 PM »
I’ve shot a 1301 (just a few shots on clays). The Benelli is great and super reliable but the beretta would be my first choice.
I’ve got a few thousand rounds on my 390 Sport and the reliability is excellent and recoil is nothing. I can shoot 100 rounds at sporting clays and have no tenderness at all. I really want a 20g also.
Gun prices are way up on most models. My used 390 would bring almost 2x what I paid for it new. The quality guns are hot. 1980s Citoris, beretta O/Us, even older 1100s,1187s are bringing record high prices. Anything tacticool and quality you should just buy it if you can find it.

I have the less expensive 3901 and feel the same way, it's a joy to shoot.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2021, 06:54:12 PM »
I've fired an M4 a couple times.  I own an HK marked Benelli M3 that I got in the late 90's.  Both are good shotguns, and the gas system on the M4 is a nice reliability upgrade, but honestly,  I don't think  they are worth what Benelli asks for them.  JMO.

The M4, if it sold for what an M2 does, might be reasonable.

Your still paying over a grand for a low capacity long gun with slow follow up shots.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2021, 07:07:35 PM »
Your still paying over a grand for a low capacity long gun with slow follow up shots.

Yeah, but have you seen what Garand Thumb does to ballistic gel skulls with one?  :laugh:

On the serious side, I will grant you that a carbine in trained hands is superior most of the time for defense, but a combat shotgun is still effective, and I've just always wanted a good semi-auto one.

One place where a shotgun seems to be devastating compared to even 30.06 AP is body armor. When I watch the test videos, even if it doesn't penetrate, I'm pretty sure a rifled slug will stop, if not kill a guy in level IV. Some of that armor gets bent to a 45 deg angle from a single shot. That's not gonna be pleasant for the old chest cavity.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2021, 07:49:46 PM »
True, and I have somehow collected......7?  (How the F did I end up 7 shotguns?) I just find myself underwhelmed by the expensive  "combat" shotguns.  My Black Aces bullpup is the most fun to run on a range, but I'm not sure I'd trust it for combat.

What's a SPAS-12 go for these days?  Those were always cool.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2021, 03:39:56 PM »
Well, Sportsmans Warehouse just had the 1301 show up on the website, but in FDE. The colored ones are $100 more than black, and if I had a choice in color, I'd probably go with the OD one. However, maybe beggars can't be choosers and I should order the FDE one while it's in stock.

I used to really like the FDE in guns, and have a few, but IMO, it's getting overdone to the point where FDE is the pumpkin spice of the gun world.