Author Topic: Another imperfect vaccine is approved but people are eager to get it  (Read 629 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Another imperfect vaccine is approved but people are eager to get it
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 04:51:19 PM »
From the article quoted in the OP:
Malaria killed 274,000 African kids under 5 in 2019

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/who-experts-back-using-malaria-vaccine-african-children-2021-10-06/

How many children have died from COVID-19?

Among the 2.7 million COVID-19 deaths1 reported in the MPIDR COVerAGE database, 0.3 per cent (over 8,700) occur in children and adolescents under 20 years of age. Of the over 8,700 deaths reported in those under 20 years of age, 60 per cent occurred among adolescents ages 10–19, and 40 per cent among children ages 0–9.

Data correct as of May 2021.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 05:07:01 PM »
Good.  I hope that helps a lot of people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 05:14:56 PM »
A lot more people in Africa would have been helped if crazy lady didn't lead the charge to eliminate DDT.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 05:20:58 PM »
A lot more people in Africa would have been helped if crazy lady didn't lead the charge to eliminate DDT.

You know they still use DDT in countries outside the "western world", like in Africa, Asia and South America.

Mosquitoes and other insects were also starting to have some resistance issues to DDT in the 1970s.

And there are other chemistries that kill mosquitoes just fine.

Sometimes it due to a corrupt government not alloting money to killing mosquitoes in the poorer areas, a vaccine is going to have the same problem in these same countries.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 05:33:54 PM »
You know they still use DDT in countries outside the "western world", like in Africa, Asia and South America.

My understanding is that it is limited indoor use in Africa. I have read that mosquitoes can build up a resistance.

I'm not sure if the "safe alternatives" are as good. The county sprays, fogs, and drops granules in my pastures throughout mosquito season. Works fine for a couple of weeks, then I'm under attack again. I think one of DDT's pros is that it is much more persistent (which of course is one of its cons as well). I guess one could argue regarding using larger quantities of "safe" chemicals or smaller quantities of unsafe chemicals, like DDT.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 07:16:32 PM »
My understanding is that it is limited indoor use in Africa. I have read that mosquitoes can build up a resistance.

I'm not sure if the "safe alternatives" are as good. The county sprays, fogs, and drops granules in my pastures throughout mosquito season. Works fine for a couple of weeks, then I'm under attack again. I think one of DDT's pros is that it is much more persistent (which of course is one of its cons as well). I guess one could argue regarding using larger quantities of "safe" chemicals or smaller quantities of unsafe chemicals, like DDT.

Plus DDT wasn't species specific, it killed bees and other pollinator insects.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 07:23:09 PM »
Plus DDT wasn't species specific, it killed bees and other pollinator insects.

Wasn't it linked to some birds having egg shell abnormalities?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 07:36:21 PM »

One of several things, but that probably got everyone's attention in regards to American Eagle and other birds of prey.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 08:55:28 PM »
The vaccine's effectiveness at preventing severe cases of malaria in children is only around 30%, but it is the only approved vaccine. The European Union's drugs regulator approved it in 2015, saying its benefits outweighed the risks.

"This is how we fight malaria, layering imperfect tools on top of each other," said Ashley Birkett, who leads global malaria vaccine work at Path, a non-profit global health organization that has funded development of the vaccine with GSK and the three-country pilot.

Another vaccine against malaria called R21/Matrix-Mthat was developed by scientists at Britain's University of Oxford showed up to 77% efficacy in a year-long study involving 450 children in Burkina Faso, researchers said in April. It is still in the trial stages.
30%.  I see why you said imperfect.  I hope there are no serious negative side effects.  Hopefully, the more promising vaccine gets finished and works.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2021, 05:52:27 PM »

Charby is right about the birds of prey being susceptible.  One of the worst hit were the California condors, but part of their problem was lead shot they ate from hunter's kills.  Many smaller birds were hurt because of the food they ate, esp. the bug eaters, as their food was contaminated.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 05:59:32 PM »
There weren't any eagles in the Chicago suburbs while I was growing up in the 70's, and now they are starting to nest along the Des Plains River. Barely 15 miles from downtown Chicago.

I see far more hawks nowadays as well.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.