Author Topic: Georgia Tax Crimes Unit Spent Asset Forfeiture Funds on Trinkets and Swag  (Read 656 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Georgia Tax Crimes Unit Illegally Spent Asset Forfeiture Funds on Trinkets and Swag
https://reason.com/2021/09/29/georgia-tax-crimes-unit-illegally-spent-asset-forfeiture-funds-on-trinkets-and-swag/

The state watchdog agency issued a report last week finding that the department's Office of Special Investigations (OSI) kept $5.3 million dollars in asset forfeiture revenues between 2015 and 2020 that should have gone into the state's general fund. It then illegally spent $3.1 million of that, including on items such as office furniture, vehicles, gym equipment, and Fitbits.
Nice to know LEO's respect the property they confiscate.   Glad they got caught, but only because someone else thought they should be spending the money.

One day after the investigation dropped, the agency quietly returned $2.1 million to the state treasury. Waites resigned that same month as the news outlets were preparing to report that he had falsely stated in his job application that he had a degree from a college that did not exist.

Source:
State Officials Squander Millions in Asset Forfeiture Funds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBVDqkH6UXk&t=2s
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jim147

• friends
Hookers and blow.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

griz

• friend
They should have all the stuff confiscated.  If they can prove it was legal they can have it back.  If not, it should be sold and the profits invested in more and more wasteful efforts.

Or they could do away with the idea that the property committed the crime and end asset forfeiture.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
On the one hand, at least the money came from criminals, and therefore cost nothing to the tax-payer.

On the other hand, the unit could have just asked Joe Biden to come up with a zero-cost spending package for them, and done this all legally.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
On the one hand, at least the money came from criminals, and therefore cost nothing to the tax-payer.

On the other hand, the unit could have just asked Joe Biden to come up with a zero-cost spending package for them, and done this all legally.

*citation needed.

How many of the property owners were tried and convicted?

Perd Hapley

• friend
*citation needed.

How many of the property owners were tried and convicted?

I'm making fun of Joe Biden here, man. Don't spoil it!

dogmush

• friend
My bad, I've been off internet  for a bit, so I missed it.   :facepalm:

Perd Hapley

• friend
My bad, I've been off internet  for a bit, so I missed it.   :facepalm:

Let's go Brandon!

Nick1911

• Administrator
Civil asset forfeiture needs to die.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

If this dumbass commie pinko nazi commienazi "transactions over $600" bullshit passes, I would expect asset forfeiture to get a booster shot, in one form or another, with one new name or another.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Georgia Tax Crimes Unit Spent Asset Forfeiture Funds on Trinkets and Swag
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2021, 08:41:37 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om79o5QwuZc
Couple CAN Sue State for Seizing Their Car!  An asset forfeiture case.  Sounds interesting.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 10:23:30 PM »
If this dumbass commie pinko nazi commienazi "transactions over $600" bullshit passes, I would expect asset forfeiture to get a booster shot, in one form or another, with one new name or another.

That may very well not go great for them. You start seizing what the little people have worked their whole lives for to the bone, such as their vehicles, property, or what little they have in their bank account and they might say *expletive deleted*ck it and go full on war against you.

You want that violence switch flipped to “kill everybody” start going after regular Americans who don’t know what asset forfeiture is…they are going to be PISSED when they find out.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2021, 10:28:37 PM »

As do the thugs that support and enforce it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams