Author Topic: Dangerous Money Arrested and Off the Streets  (Read 649 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Dangerous Money Arrested and Off the Streets
« on: December 07, 2021, 06:01:29 PM »
More armed and dangerous money has been arrested and the streets are a little bit safer. Interesting graph from the Washington Post about halfway down.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/12/07/civil-asset-forfeiture-trends-after-police-dog-praised-for-finding-100000-cash-in-passengers-luggage/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Dangerous Money Arrested and Off the Streets
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 06:16:54 PM »
This is such horseshit.

I know the guy that owns the crypto ATM's that operate around my metro area.  Routinely travels with 5+ figures of cash, historically has had a bad time with banks and the IRS for doing nothing illegal.  Sometimes flies with six figures in a duffelbag in order to buy crypto from someone on the other side of the country.

Much like the legal weed industry, the finance industry is not kind to him and pretty much refuses to allow him a bank account at all.

Add to that, inflation has really done a number on the amount of wealth a person is "permitted" to transport by our betters.  $10k used to be a decent amount of money.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 06:30:56 PM »
Time to start sealing up your cash with a vacuum bagger, then wrap the sealed bags up with plenty of pepper.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 06:51:06 PM »
Time to start sealing up your cash with a vacuum bagger, then wrap the sealed bags up with plenty of pepper.

You mean evidence of illegal trafficking? Because that’s gonna be the spin.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 07:35:46 PM »
Civil asset forfeiture needs to die hard.  It won't because the government in all forms is addicted to money, and the majority of seizures are probably actually from the drug trade [conjecture] - and it's hard to get people morally outraged about bad things happening to drug traffickers and dealers.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 07:55:46 PM »
Legalize drugs, and take the black market out of it.

When is the last time you heard about someone in your city playing numbers?

That used to be the mob.

Now? State lotteries.

There were a couple of times I took about $10k to Knob Creek...
Blog under construction

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 08:04:10 PM »
FWIW, the DOJ Asset Forfeiture fund took in 2.07 billion dollars in 2019.  It is not clear if this includes any state level activity or not. [cite]

Victims of burglary offenses suffered an estimated $3.0 billion in property losses in 2019. [cite]

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2021, 08:42:02 PM »
It Was a Good Week to Fight Civil Asset Forfeiture
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOy4QQP0oBs

Steve Lehto had this video a couple weeks ago.  Looks like a couple of travelers got their money back.  I think part of it was claiming they had no probable cause to search since having cash is legal.  I don't think it was the same case.

IMO, the use of drug sniffing dogs needs to be reformed.  The dogs should not be used as the sole probable cause to search.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 09:06:50 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2021, 09:42:12 PM »
Time to start sealing up your cash with a vacuum bagger, then wrap the sealed bags up with plenty of pepper. in barrels and bury them in the New Mexico desert.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2021, 10:52:24 AM »
Interesting takes on this incident. You have to click to get into the various twitter threads, but it saddens me how many people think this is okie doke and that people have no legitimate reason to carry large amounts of cash. No love for "I don't need a reason" I guess.

I like how many of them say, "All she has to do is provide receipts and origins for the money, and they'll give it back." Uh huh.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2021/12/08/iowahawk-goes-on-righteous-tear-on-behalf-of-potential-innocent-victims-of-civil-asset-forfeiture/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2021, 10:59:34 AM »
I also wasn't aware how much of a role this guy had in asset forfeiture laws:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1468352952322637831

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2021, 04:01:38 PM »
With the way digital "currency" is being pushed on us, keeping paper money could be outlawed.
Look at how the ChiComs are throttling dissent by freezing the digital currency cards their people are forced to use.  Speak out and the people find it hard to buy train tokens, making the work commute troublesome.  Or buying groceries, or food at a restaurant, getting medical help, etc.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Pb

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2021, 09:29:56 AM »
With the way digital "currency" is being pushed on us, keeping paper money could be outlawed.
Look at how the ChiComs are throttling dissent by freezing the digital currency cards their people are forced to use.  Speak out and the people find it hard to buy train tokens, making the work commute troublesome.  Or buying groceries, or food at a restaurant, getting medical help, etc.

You nailed it.  The government was to be able to control every monetary transaction... all the better to punish people they don't like, and to get their cut.