Author Topic: A shooting war with the PRC in the future?  (Read 1823 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
A shooting war with the PRC in the future?
« on: October 06, 2021, 05:18:04 PM »
As I read the recent news about the PRC sending warplanes in the area of Taiwan, their naval buildup, constructing new bases on islands, etc., I wonder if we or someone else gets into a shooting war with the PRC in the next ten years.  And if we do, will it remain limited, or after the first carrier gets sunk or Taiwan is occupied, goes nuclear hot?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: A shooting war with the PRC in the future?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 05:40:05 PM »
My bet is that the US and everyone else will let China keep Hong Kong and takeover Taiwan without doing anything more than sending China a sternly-worded letter.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 05:43:47 PM »
You can't invade Taiwan.  There will be a blade of grass....

Um.... there will be a blade of grass...

Ahhh... everywhere you look?

I wonder if we should start making Liberator pistols again.

NIB + ammo in WWII, they were only $2.10 each.  That'd be about 30 bucks nowadays, not counting profit margin.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 06:00:55 PM »
Do you think China is building up to a full on military invasion?  Or are they just trying to push for Taiwan to give in without a war?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

griz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 06:28:13 PM »
You can't invade Taiwan.  There will be a blade of grass....

Um.... there will be a blade of grass...

Ahhh... everywhere you look?

I wonder if we should start making Liberator pistols again.

NIB + ammo in WWII, they were only $2.10 each.  That'd be about 30 bucks nowadays, not counting profit margin.

If we get them made in China they'll only cost $11.25.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 06:33:37 PM »
But our strong, smart and very articulate leader just said he talked to pooh and they were in agreement that China would not invade.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 06:59:31 PM »
Will that hold when Harris takes over?

The U.S. thinks in terms of later today, far east countries think in terms of decades.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 07:17:04 PM by 230RN »

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 07:47:41 PM »
What do the Taiwanese think about this I wonder?

How possible is it that Taiwanese opposition turns out to be another "Afghan Government" illusion?

China takes over and Taiwan adjusts and life goes on as before, except without the USA.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 07:59:03 PM »
I just read that deer leader and dear leader will hold a joint press conference soon. Should be a blast.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 08:49:36 PM »
I think it's just saber rattling to try and rally the Chinese populace for a fundamentally unpopular regime. I don't think there's any real intention of doing it, as it's too much risk and too little reward. There are some really valuable assets in Taiwan, but those can also be blown up rather easily. China's greatest military achievement as of late is what, shoving around some Indian troops in the Himalayas? Amphibious invasions are slightly more difficult.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2021, 08:59:43 PM »
Will that hold when Harris takes over?

The U.S. thinks in terms of later today, far east countries think in terms of decades.
There are a whole lot of impatient teenagers who plan ahead better than the US Govt. 

Personally, I don't think Asian countries are a whole lot better.  Everyone said the same things about Japan in the early 90's. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 09:05:48 PM »
My bet is that the US and everyone else will let China keep Hong Kong and takeover Taiwan without doing anything more than sending China a sternly-worded letter.

This ^^^

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 10:18:03 PM »

I agree. We bailed out of our official support of Taiwan decades ago.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2021, 09:16:42 AM »
I think China will eventually invade and take Taiwan.  It's a matter of pride with them, Taiwan being the last holdout of the Nationalists since they lost the revolution in 1949.  They've rattled their swords over Taiwan for far too long to not eventually invade.  It would be a loss of face.
Given that China has recently been sending record numbers of aircraft into Taiwan's ADIZ, the invasion may come sooner rather than later.  Taiwan will put up an admirable fight, but there is no way that they can prevail against the PRC.
When the invasion occurs, the USA will of course read a strongly worded letter in the UN to show the Chinese our displeasure.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2021, 09:27:09 AM »
. . . When the invasion occurs, the USA will of course read a strongly worded letter in the UN to show the Chinese our displeasure.
Don't be too sure of that - our semi-senile Manchurian Candidate* POTUS wouldn't want to annoy them too much with strong language, since they might respond somewhere between the time he puts a lid on his workday (right after lunch) and his 7:30 PM bed time.

Secretary of State Blinken might glare at them a bit as they deliver a harsh response.

* - I don't believe Joe was brainwashed like the Manchurian Candidate - more likely, bribed or blackmailed.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2021, 09:29:00 AM »
I think China will assume control within this decade without bloodshed.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2021, 09:30:58 AM »
I think China will assume control within this decade without bloodshed.

Then the bloodshed will commence
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2021, 09:34:02 AM »
Then the bloodshed will commence

Once the bloodthirsty boomers are have retired from our government the American Empire can (hopefully) recede peacefully.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2021, 10:00:43 AM »
Bloodthirsty boomers.   ;/
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2021, 10:12:20 AM »
Bloodthirsty boomers.   ;/

Our generation never met a military conflict they didn't support.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2021, 12:11:18 PM »
Taiwan should start arming themselves like Switzerland used to...

And we should sell them subs with nuclear weapons.

Then they can take care of themselves.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2021, 12:16:29 PM »
Blood thirsty neocons Our generation never met a military conflict they didn't support.

Fixed it for you.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2021, 01:26:48 PM »
China can do whatever it wants.  Frankly, the US can't afford a war with them.  We're far too dependent on them as a supplier for almost every good you can think of.  Also, they buy a substantial amount of our exports, and hold a substantial amount of US debt.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2021, 01:35:11 PM »
China can do whatever it wants.  Frankly, the US can't afford a war with them.  We're far too dependent on them as a supplier for almost every good you can think of.  Also, they buy a substantial amount of our exports, and hold a substantial amount of US debt.

Conversely, we are too large a market for them to upset.  If there were a shooting war, we'd stop buying stuff from them.
However, given their communist belief in a command economy, that may not even figure into their calculations all that much.
Also, if we were to start tossing rounds back and forth, the US debt they hold would likely be repudiated as soon as the first shot is fired.  Especially if they shoot first.
Hmmm...

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2021, 01:41:14 PM »
We have special forces and marines in country helping them train. Hope it goes better than Afghanistan.