Author Topic: A shooting war with the PRC in the future?  (Read 1821 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: A shooting war with the PRC in the future?
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2021, 01:46:53 PM »
This just in. The US says China can have Taiwan.
In other news a Hunter Biden painting sells for $1 billion, two hookers, and blow.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2021, 01:46:58 PM »
Conversely, we are too large a market for them to upset.  If there were a shooting war, we'd stop buying stuff from them.
However, given their communist belief in a command economy, that may not even figure into their calculations all that much.
Also, if we were to start tossing rounds back and forth, the US debt they hold would likely be repudiated as soon as the first shot is fired.  Especially if they shoot first.
Hmmm...

That's true, there's a lot of inter-dependency.  But, I believe that the Chinese economy is in a much better position to deal with a collapse of trade, and the communist government would be much more willing to sacrifice the suffering of their people in pursuit of their goals.

I suspect that if the CCP said, behind closed doors, to US leadership: "We're taking Taiwan.  If you do anything meaningful to resist that, we'll cut all imports and dump US held debt on the international market, for cheap." the US government would be quick to acquiesce.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2021, 02:03:41 PM »
We have special forces and marines in country helping them train. Hope it goes better than Afghanistan.

It probably will.  The Taiwanese have far more incentive and little in the way of cultural impediments to negatively impact the training.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2021, 02:31:49 PM »
Conversely, we are too large a market for them to upset.  If there were a shooting war, we'd stop buying stuff from them.
However, given their communist belief in a command economy, that may not even figure into their calculations all that much.
Also, if we were to start tossing rounds back and forth, the US debt they hold would likely be repudiated as soon as the first shot is fired.  Especially if they shoot first.
Hmmm...
I would miss Olight flashlight sales and cheap red dot sights from Primary Arms.  China likes having a good economy and a shooting war would tank a lot of their trade as well as raw materials shipments to China.  They aren't self sufficient on everything any more than we are. 

I don't know how well we would do in a shooting war with China, but I think it is a mistake to assume they are some sort of military masterminds.  They haven't fought a serious war in decades same as us.  If it was really hot, there would be a lot of lessons learned on both sides.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2021, 10:15:24 PM »
Well, we just had an "incident" involving a submarine in the vicinity.  Maybe things have already gone hot but it's still "classified". [tinfoil]

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Pb

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2021, 10:26:12 PM »
It probably will.  The Taiwanese have far more incentive and little in the way of cultural impediments to negatively impact the training.

From what I read, Taiwan doesn't seem to be taking its military seriously.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2021, 01:37:34 PM »
^^^Published just today (and behind a paywall), but here is a WSJ article about concerns over the ability of Taiwan's military:  https://www.wsj.com/articles/taiwan-military-readiness-china-threat-us-defense-11635174187?mod=hp_lead_pos5

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2021, 02:01:06 PM »
From earlier this month:

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2021/10/is-a-chinese-military-attack-on-taiwan-inevitable/

Even though some commentators are confident that the chance of war between China and Taiwan is remote[1], the odds of military action are growing by the day. In large part because Chinese Communist Party (CCP) leader Xi Jinping has publicly vowed, again and again, to wrench control of the island from its inhabitants.

He also may have set a deadline, amplifying the pressure. It is less clear when that deadline falls. Party leaders routinely cite 2049, the centennial of the foundation of the People’s Republic of China, as the date when the national rejuvenation project[2]  must be complete.[3]

Earlier this year, however, outgoing US Indo-Pacific Command chief Admiral Phil Davidson told Congress that Beijing might move against Taiwan far earlier than the centennial – perhaps within the next six years (closer to five now).[4] China-watchers have taken to calling this interval the “Davidson window”, meaning China’s window of opportunity to seize this prime real estate.

So one school of thought says they'll do it by 2049, another says in the next 5-6 years.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2021, 02:06:44 PM »
From earlier this month:

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2021/10/is-a-chinese-military-attack-on-taiwan-inevitable/

So one school of thought says they'll do it by 2049, another says in the next 5-6 years.

And that's one of the differences between China and US thinking when it comes to these matters.
To the US 5-6 years is too far in the future to worry about.
To the Chinese 2049 might as well be tomorrow.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2021, 02:49:16 PM »
And that's one of the differences between China and US thinking when it comes to these matters.
To the US 5-6 years is too far in the future to worry about.
To the Chinese 2049 might as well be tomorrow.
They have all sort of problems right now.  28 years from now is certainly not tomorrow.  The current leaders may not even be in power then.  IMO, drop that down to 10 years. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2021, 07:32:04 PM »

I don't know how well we would do in a shooting war with China, but I think it is a mistake to assume they are some sort of military masterminds.  They haven't fought a serious war in decades same as us.  If it was really hot, there would be a lot of lessons learned on both sides.

They have done pretty good so far. Most still don't even realize there is a war going on. SunTzu is giggling in his grave over the wuhan gain of function virus, and the initial Chinese spread alarm-ism that caused most of the free world to commit economic seppeku.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2021, 10:12:48 PM »
The last time we fought against then was the Korean war, it was a bloodbath, and ended in a tie. 

They have a lot better tech now.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2021, 10:27:51 PM »
The last time we fought against then was the Korean war, it was a bloodbath, and ended in a tie. 

They have a lot better tech now.

But is it good tech?  Has it been tested?

I put the Chinese in the same bin as the Russians:  their tech sucks, but they have a lot of it.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2021, 10:37:04 PM »
Taiwan is still using some old-time tech . . . the included video sort of reminds me of  "The Guns of Navarone - Light"

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/these-taiwanese-howitzers-are-enormous-5a578d5320de
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2021, 10:39:35 PM »
But is it good tech?  Has it been tested?

I put the Chinese in the same bin as the Russians:  their tech sucks, but they have a lot of it.
That is sort of the way I look at it.  I don't assume they are 1st class just because they put up a good image.  Yes, politically, they outclass the political elite in this country, but I thought Trump was handling them fine so I don't think they are geniuses.  As for long term planning, we saw they built entire cities that were uninhabited due to poor planning.  They have plenty of warts. 

I also don't think we would be quite as tough as I would like us to be.  Aside from political handcuffs our forces would likely have in any early engagement, I don't have a great deal of confidence in our military leadership.  Not as bad as I fear, but plenty of lightweights in the chain of command.  I think the older generations of political elite were smarter people, but the current crop is short sighted and foolish.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2021, 10:57:03 PM »
. . . . I also don't think we would be quite as tough as I would like us to be.  Aside from political handcuffs our forces would likely have in any early engagement, I don't have a great deal of confidence in our military leadership.  Not as bad as I fear, but plenty of lightweights in the chain of command.  I think the older generations of political elite were smarter people, but the current crop is short sighted and foolish.
Have to agree with this - it's been a problem for quite a while. Truman established his "Yalu River Safe Zone" for Chinese & Russian piloted MIGs during the Korean War, and of course Lyndon Bains Johnson's running of the Vietnam war made him North Vietnam's most accomplished general.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2021, 12:42:44 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydEgap5XeGM
Why China Switched to the New QBZ-191 Primary Weapon

I thought the crowd here might want to see this video on China's new rifle. 

He also has a couple videos on the new Humvee replacement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk2RgnpunjQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xiv_Bo9WGkQ