Author Topic: Kentucky Ballistics + The Slow Mo Guys + 577 Tyrannosaur + ballistic gel =  (Read 359 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
really impressive results.
And then towards the end a gallon of glue.

Elephant Rifle Annihilates Ballistic Gel at 82,000FPS - The Slow Mo Guys @KentuckyBallistics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsJGJHkJolI

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
82,000 fs.  I was thinking "Wow ! Mach 75!"

Flashes at 9:13 ff.  Once again, velocity = temperature. 

We've had some discussions about bullet flashes on impacting things even though none of the materials contained iron.  I know I've seen flashes from my .243 striking plain old rocks in the gloaming.

Ultra-high velocity stuff (and the attendant shock wave) is funny, hence the popularity of ultra (infra?) slow motion, but the main thing here is that velocity = temperature and that temperature = velocity.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 10:47:56 AM by 230RN »

Pb

• friend
82,000 fs.  I was thinking "Wow ! Mach 75!"

Flashes at 9:13 ff.  Once again, velocity = temperature. 

That confused me too... until I reallized it is camera frames per second, not bullet feet per second!   :facepalm:

230RN

• friend

Took a second to integrate the context and come up with pictures per second, hence "frames."  Whew!

I guess "fs" is standard for motion picture technology. Well, they still use the term "footage" as in "footage of the vehicle pursuit" and "did you get that on film?" and "did you tape that?" and director's "cut" and other things like that.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 11:46:24 AM by 230RN »

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System

I'm still trying to figure out Road King Larry's post. That's just age-related, I guess.

"That was totally wicked!" as in the video was totally wicked.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• friend
I deleted that comment from my post before seeing your explanation.  Thanks.

JTHunter

• friends
Incredible !
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”