Author Topic: Anybody else use Boost Mobile?  (Read 390 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Anybody else use Boost Mobile?
« on: October 07, 2021, 05:15:42 PM »
They are switching to a new cell tower network early next year.  They have started pestering me go buy a new phone.  I am perfectly happy with the Moto E6 phone I have, and if/when the battery gets weak it is user-replaceable, which I think is getting kinda rare. I should probably see if they have a new SIM card for my existing phone. 

But I'm wondering what's going to happen to my service when they switch me over (or I do nothing and January comes around)  The Moto E6 does not support 5G.  It does support 4G LTE, and I use very little data.  I'm not sure what exactly they are shutting down but I think it's 3G.

What is a G anyway?  :old:
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Anybody else use Boost Mobile?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 05:18:49 PM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 06:21:36 PM »
A spot I can never seem to find.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 06:23:07 PM »
A spot I can never seem to find.

That's what she said.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 06:45:11 PM »
 :facepalm: That is what they ALL say !!  :rofl:  ;/
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 05:35:55 PM »
I went to the local Boost Mobile store to see if I can get a new SIM card and it looked abandoned.  The doors were locked; there was no Closed sign out.  They're supposed to be open today, and even if they close early 3:30 seems ridiculous.

When I got home I called Boost.  There were no paths thru the phone menu to get to a real person, so I just started pressing '0'.  Some times that works, and sometimes the robot just hangs up on you.  This time it connected me to a sales tech or something.  I asked about getting a new SIM card and she said my phone is not compatible with their Enhanced Network.  I said, "Are you sure about that?  It should be compatible but will only connect at 4G instead of 5G."  She said if I'm happy with my existing service nothing will change in January.  (that's when they shut down all their 3G towers.)

I am skeptical.  But if I lose my cell service for a few days in January, it won't be the end of the world like it would be if I was a Millennial.  I'm a Boomer so I sometimes go for *days* without looking at my phone.   :old:
"It's good, though..."