Author Topic: Bit by the Sig bug  (Read 390 times)

Lennyjoe

• friend
Bit by the Sig bug
« on: October 05, 2021, 10:10:57 PM »
Been keeping an eye out for a 226 in .357 Sig but haven’t found a decent deal on them.  Ended up getting one in .40 Cal today on GB for $600 used.  Optics Planet had Sig factory drop in .357 Sig barrels on sale for $119 so I grabbed one of them.

I have a G32 in .357 Sig/.40 and though I enjoy it, I thought the .357 Sig should be represented in its original offering.  Therefore I added the P226 to my arsenal.

sumpnz

• friend
Re: Bit by the Sig bug
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 11:04:22 PM »
Nice!  Looking forward to disposable income as the kids start moving off the payroll.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 11:08:12 PM »
I think the P226 and the P229 are some of the better carry size pistols at handling 40 cal and similar higher recoil calibers.  I want to try an HK USP or USP compact, but a bit expensive to get into. 

I have had a police trade in P229 for years, but never considered carrying it.  I have gotten the itch to carry something bigger than 9mm lately and that might be it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 09:49:11 AM »
I tend to go to bigger size carry rigs in the fall/winter for 2 reasons.  First is extra layers of clothing to aid in conceal ability and second, I like a round with better energy to go through more clothing.  I tend to go .40 or 10MM in winter.  The .357 Sig was my primary carry last winter in the G32. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 10:06:29 AM »
The SIGS I've looked at are good quality guns and the ones I've seen people using on the range work well, but most of them (e.g, the P226) simply don't fit my had very well - they don't actually point where they feel like they're pointing. (The exception being the P-210.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 07:43:09 PM »
I've owned a few over the years.  P226 in .40, P228, P229 in 9mm, P239 in both 9mm and .40.  My last purchase I still have, a P229 in .40.

One of my best friends has been a cop in a small NH town for 15 years and his duty pistol has always been a P229.  It's not something I would consider a duty pistol but he's not exactly going toe-to-toe with Crips on a daily basis.  I've carried mine concealed and I have no complaints about it, though my preference is my Beretta PX4 9mm for temperate weather and my S&W Shield .40 for warmer weather.

As far as duty pistols, when I had a choice I carried my H&K USP .45 full-size.  Though if I was limited to the P229 I certainly wouldn't feel undergunned with it.  And if at this point you're wondering which caliber I think is best, my answer is "whatever chambering happened to be on sale when I walked into the store."
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2021, 09:57:50 AM »
Picked up the gun yesterday and it has the long extractor vs the short.  From what I’m reading it’s an E2 slide, if that’s correct.  Also has UU serial number which I believe is all US made.  Took a lot of reading to figure out the differences in the 226 variations…