Author Topic: Question about concrete tilt up construction  (Read 409 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Question about concrete tilt up construction
« on: October 09, 2021, 10:02:29 PM »
A few miles from us, Amazon is building a distribution center.  They built a steel skeleton framework and are putting up the concrete tilt up panels on the lower stories.  The panels are put into place and then two steel props are put into place. The props run from the ground at about a 60 degree angle up against the upper third of the panel.  Then a few weeks later, the props are removed.

My question is, how are the concrete panels secured to the skeleton framework? Are they using concrete, or a grout, or an adhesive, and the props are there to fix the panel in place while the material cures?  I did not see them installing any mechanical fasteners to hold the panels in place.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Question about concrete tilt up construction
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 10:48:55 PM »
Years ago, we watched them construct the Toys-R-Us directly across the street from us that way. It was wild. One day there was this really thick concrete slab and a few days later they just stood the walls up and "BAM!", they had a building!

Speaking of "BAM!", when they were putting up one wall, it buckled causing the crane to TIP OVER into the POWER LINES! The poor guy working in the ditch they were to settle down into and guide the slabs in space hauled ass OUT OF SIGHT when it buckled and sparks started flying. We asked and apparently he never came back, even for his last check.

Found this: https://www.korteco.com/construction-industry-articles/basics-tilt-construction/

Each panel is temporarily braced until the roof ties the structure together.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2021, 11:31:25 PM »
The Target RDCs I worked in were all tilt-up concrete walls between 35 and 40 feet tall.  They were gusseted together at the seams, and the roof trusses held them in place once they were put up.  The angled supports are temporary and taken out once the walls are solidly in place.
At least it appeared that way to my non-architectural eyes.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 05:29:56 AM »
The Target RDCs I worked in were all tilt-up concrete walls between 35 and 40 feet tall.  They were gusseted together at the seams, and the roof trusses held them in place once they were put up.  The angled supports are temporary and taken out once the walls are solidly in place.
At least it appeared that way to my non-architectural eyes.

That is correct.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 06:53:02 PM »
Sounds like an old fashioned barn raising.