Author Topic: Question for the smart people here  (Read 725 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Question for the smart people here
« on: December 23, 2021, 10:10:45 PM »
Why is it that when bread starts to get stale and hard, popping it in a microwave for 15 to 30 seconds can bring it back to breadness again?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Question for the smart people here
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2021, 11:52:17 PM »
I think the starch recrystallizes, which is why it gets tough and dry.  The moisture is still there, it just migrates to the spaces between the starch.  Heating it up dissolves the crystals.  (assuming it's just stale and not dried-out, those are different things)  When I warm up stale pizza or tortillas that I know is also dried out a bit, I sprinkle a little water on before reheating.
"It's good, though..."

JN01

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 02:04:48 AM »
We always keep our bread in the freezer, that way it doesn't get stale to begin with. Pull out a couple slices and nuke them for 15 seconds to make a sandwich.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2021, 06:32:55 AM »
Check out the big brain on Bob!

Who provided the correct answer.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2021, 07:44:58 AM »
I think the starch recrystallizes, which is why it gets tough and dry.  The moisture is still there, it just migrates to the spaces between the starch.  Heating it up dissolves the crystals.  (assuming it's just stale and not dried-out, those are different things)  When I warm up stale pizza or tortillas that I know is also dried out a bit, I sprinkle a little water on before reheating.

The microwave is quick, but a pan is better.  The bottom stays crisp and the crust doesn't get chewy.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2021, 09:09:33 AM »
The microwave is quick, but a pan is better.  The bottom stays crisp and the crust doesn't get chewy.

Day-old pizza slice warmed in a hot dry skillet is sometimes better than it was fresh.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2021, 09:15:06 AM »
Day-old pizza slice warmed in a hot dry skillet is sometimes better than it was fresh.

My mom and dad used to do that with their homemade pizza, and I agree.

I usually reheat my pizza in the toaster oven.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2021, 10:38:00 AM »
My mom and dad used to do that with their homemade pizza, and I agree.

I usually reheat my pizza in the toaster oven.
I've had one of those "Emeril 360" air fry toaster ovens for over a year now, and it does a fine job reheating pizza - including leftover pizza that's been frozen.

MUCH better than a microwave.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2021, 02:26:38 PM »
For crispy crust pizza, nonstick "fried chicken big" frying pan, nothing in the pan but the pizza, over low heat, with the lid on.
Blog under construction