Author Topic: Southwest Airline delays  (Read 5579 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Southwest Airline delays
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2021, 12:21:43 PM »
Apparently, Southwest didn't have a sickout problem, they just had a lot of pilots who called in sick.

https://amgreatness.com/2021/10/11/a-southwest-pilot-explains-what-happened-over-the-weekend/
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2021, 12:29:29 PM »
I got my buddy fired from a job as I explained to him that his vacation would pay out when he quit but not sick time. How was I supposed to know he was still on double secret probation for attendance? We laughed, he was definitely quitting just happened about a month sooner.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2021, 02:17:02 PM »
At my old employer, you only got paid for unused vacation if you retired.  If you resigned or were terminated, you did not get paid for unused vacation.
That policy was changed some years back.  Originally, if you resigned you would be paid for unused vacation.  Termination however, resulted in a loss of unused vacation.  There was no payout.
I think my employer will pay accrued vacation only.  The only way to get all your vacation for the year is retirement.  I have seen a few different people retire in January to get paid the full vacation. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2021, 02:26:58 PM »
When I retired from the VA I got paid for accrued annual leave but my sick leave was tacked onto my longevity for retirement.

That's how it worked for me. I rarely used sick leave, so when I separated I got like 10 extra months counted towards time served.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2021, 03:32:03 PM »
https://amgreatness.com/2021/10/11/a-southwest-pilot-explains-what-happened-over-the-weekend/

The carrier’s 10,000 pilots “are the most conservative collection of white collar employees in the country,” explained the pilot, who asked to remain anonymous for fear of reprisal. He estimated that at least 60 to 70 percent of pilots at Southwest are, like himself, former military.

The tyrannical mandate, he explained, erased all of the good will pilots and other conservative employees had felt toward their company.

That newfound ill will manifested itself over the three day weekend, not with an organized strike, but with many disgruntled employees calling in sick, or not signing up for overtime...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2021, 03:39:06 PM »
That's how it worked for me. I rarely used sick leave, so when I separated I got like 10 extra months counted towards time served.

Texas TRS will let you do that, sorta. You can "buy" an extra year of of service but it's a combo of unused sick time and a lump sum amortized and charged against your annuity payments.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2021, 04:00:21 PM »

Interesting choice of words.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2021, 04:34:59 PM »
Interesting choice of words.

I meant to say that.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2021, 04:37:56 PM »
I'm not a fan of the mandates, and as the cheif executive of the state, telling .gov agencies (or at least state ones) they can't mandate a vaccine is appropriate and within his powers.

Telling private businesses what they can and can't do I don't like, regardless of which side of the vaccine issue the mandate is on.

And before anyone mentions a cake, "unvaccinated" is not a protected class under federal law.

Personally, I think Abbot, DeSantis, AND Biden are all well past their executive authorities.  We have legislatures for a reason.

I used to think the same thing but when most of these major companies started openly saying *expletive deleted*ck you to conservatives, went woke, trying to interfere in elections and so on I decided anything that hinders them in thaf regard is a good thing.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2021, 04:44:28 PM »
I used to think the same thing but when most of these major companies started openly saying *expletive deleted*ck you to conservatives, went woke, trying to interfere in elections and so on I decided anything that hinders them in thaf regard is a good thing.

Sure, the end justifies the means, after all.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2021, 04:55:08 PM »
Where I work, at separation you are paid out for any unused vacation. No sick leave payout if you leave before retirement.

At retirement eligibility you are paid cash up to $2000 for any unused sick leave, but...

If you retire before medicare age, you can cash unused sick leave in to pay for health insurance. If you have over 1500 hours saved, it is dollar for dollar towards health insurance premium. Under 1500 hours its a % of it.

I'm 47 and i have 930 hours of sick leave. Before 750 hours in the bank, I was accruing 144 hours per year, after 750 hours banked is 96 hours per year. My plan is after 62.5 years of age and when I have enough sick leave to cover my health insurance until I am Medicare eligible, I am going to retire from my employer. I'm hoping to have over 2100 hours in the bank of sick leave.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2021, 04:55:51 PM »

You are defeated without even trying.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2021, 06:10:46 PM »

Private companies aren't really private. For all practical purposes we are experiencing global fascism and our Fed Gov is on board with the system.

The government, financial and media corporations are pretty much using every lever of manipulation at their disposal to make sure all large corporations obey. They are obeying.

Defending corporate tyranny imposed by corporations under color of law is not defending freedom. It's defending government/corporate tyranny. Fascism.

You will obey. It won't be men with guns making you but corporations.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2021, 06:16:21 PM »
sure, fine, it sucks.  So let's all be happy OUR power freaks are forcing other people to obey.  Yea our side!

You are defeated without even trying.

He literally said that.  "Anything that hinders them in thaf[sic] regard is a good thing."

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2021, 06:48:03 PM »
Eventually, one resists, or one does not.  Submit, or not.  We will get as much tyranny as we are willing to submit to.
My father taught me something I have remembered to this day- "son, you cannot reason with a bully-the only thing they respect is force".

I don't like people pushing me around at all.  Don't like being told what to do by people who obviously hate me.
Just want to be left alone to pursue my affairs in peace.  I avoid confrontation.  I happen to think the vax is very dangerous and will not take it- my choice.  Somebody else wants it? Fine- their choice.  Choice is the operative word here. Means the same thing as FREEDOM. Including the freedom to make mistakes.

A word one hears very seldom anymore. Remember when "hey, it's a free country " was used as a standard reply to someone doing something eccentric?, Rather than some jerk calling a swat team on them to kill their dog to save them from themselves? Anyone here remember the USSR, where every mothers son and daughter had their entire life planned by the state authorities?
 Meddlers just want to meddle. *expletive deleted*ing control freaks.

A *expletive deleted*ing vaccine so effective the vaccinated are at risk from the unvaccinated. Right. i am not even gonna argue the stat or numbers of charts anymore, it has been so politicized that every study, every account is suspect by one side or the other. People believe what they want to believe. (thank you Tom Petty).

But what come down to is choice- if you do not have the right to refuse to have a substance injected into your body, you have no rights. They can do anything to you. And history says they will.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2021, 06:48:48 PM »
Apparently there is a legislative special session going on right now in Austin.  I saw an email today that said Abbott added the vaccine mandate issue to the list of things they can consider.  SO maybe the legislature will pass something also.  That would be better.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2021, 07:08:54 PM »
Apparently there is a legislative special session going on right now in Austin.  I saw an email today that said Abbott added the vaccine mandate issue to the list of things they can consider.  SO maybe the legislature will pass something also.  That would be better.

Yes, it would.

Tokugawa, I'm not going to quote your whole post, but I don't have any problems with it. While I am vaccinated,  I have said several times I disagree with the mandates. But I can resist (or not) without cheering for other government  entities interfering with peoples choices.  If a mom and pop business owner says they only want to hire vaxxer people that's their choice. Freedom of association.  I get we don't have a perfect  (or even good) system,  but I can only be responsible for my behavior.  Cheering a governor telling private  businesses what their employment practices have to be is a statist move, even if I agree with the particular policy being pushed.

I am not a statist, and won't cheer them.  Resist, or don't.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2021, 07:19:53 PM »
So the Sick-Out that wasn't a Sick-Out was a Sick-Out?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2021, 07:44:55 PM »
So the Sick-Out that wasn't a Sick-Out was a Sick-Out?

No. The sick-out that wasn't a sick-out was NOT a sick-out ... it was just a bunch of pilots calling out sick. So it was an out-sick, not a sick-out.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2021, 09:34:49 PM »
But I can resist (or not) without cheering for other government  entities interfering with peoples choices.

The only thing being interfered with here is the left's attempt to force companies to have to require people to be vaccinated in order to be hired.

If a mom and pop business owner says they only want to hire vaxxer people that's their choice.

Who's saying they can't hire vaccinated people?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2021, 11:00:48 PM »
Yes, it would.

Tokugawa, I'm not going to quote your whole post, but I don't have any problems with it. While I am vaccinated,  I have said several times I disagree with the mandates. But I can resist (or not) without cheering for other government  entities interfering with peoples choices.  If a mom and pop business owner says they only want to hire vaxxer people that's their choice. Freedom of association.  I get we don't have a perfect  (or even good) system,  but I can only be responsible for my behavior.  Cheering a governor telling private  businesses what their employment practices have to be is a statist move, even if I agree with the particular policy being pushed.

I am not a statist, and won't cheer them.  Resist, or don't.
I agree with the sentiment, but while I don't want to live under a dictatorship, I also don't want corporations acting as a 3rd party to the govt dictatorship.  Biden didn't even issue an executive order on this from what I remember.  He just said it and all the big corporations started falling in line. 

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2021, 01:25:01 AM »

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2021, 08:50:29 AM »
Quote from: amgreatness
The carrier’s 10,000 pilots “are the most conservative collection of white collar employees in the country,” explained the pilot, who asked to remain anonymous
More than 99% of United Airlines employees complied with the company’s requirement for everyone to receive a COVID-19 vaccine or apply for a medical or religious exemption, the company told employees Tuesday.
Chicago-based United has been among the most aggressive companies in the country at mandating COVID-19 vaccinations for employees as the global pandemic stretches into its 19th month. With the deadline for employees to submit proof of vaccination passing Monday, the company said that only 593 of its 67,000 U.S. workers didn’t comply, and United will start procedures to fire those workers in the coming days.
Is the culture / political leanings of Southwest pilots really that different than other airlines? I don't fly much, and even when I do I've never paid much attention to which carrier it is. Is there something unique about Southwest (or United) that attracts different pilots?
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2021, 11:22:44 AM »
Eventually, one resists, or one does not.  Submit, or not.  We will get as much tyranny as we are willing to submit to.
My father taught me something I have remembered to this day- "son, you cannot reason with a bully-the only thing they respect is force".

I don't like people pushing me around at all.  Don't like being told what to do by people who obviously hate me.
Just want to be left alone to pursue my affairs in peace.  I avoid confrontation.  I happen to think the vax is very dangerous and will not take it- my choice.  Somebody else wants it? Fine- their choice.  Choice is the operative word here. Means the same thing as FREEDOM. Including the freedom to make mistakes.

A word one hears very seldom anymore. Remember when "hey, it's a free country " was used as a standard reply to someone doing something eccentric?, Rather than some jerk calling a swat team on them to kill their dog to save them from themselves? Anyone here remember the USSR, where every mothers son and daughter had their entire life planned by the state authorities?
 Meddlers just want to meddle. *expletive deleted*ing control freaks.

A *expletive deleted*ing vaccine so effective the vaccinated are at risk from the unvaccinated. Right. i am not even gonna argue the stat or numbers of charts anymore, it has been so politicized that every study, every account is suspect by one side or the other. People believe what they want to believe. (thank you Tom Petty).

But what come down to is choice- if you do not have the right to refuse to have a substance injected into your body, you have no rights. They can do anything to you. And history says they will.

Citizenkaneclap.gif

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2021, 11:25:42 AM »
Is the culture / political leanings of Southwest pilots really that different than other airlines? I don't fly much, and even when I do I've never paid much attention to which carrier it is. Is there something unique about Southwest (or United) that attracts different pilots?

Or maybe they're just lying about "more than 99%" polling to influence people.  Seems more likely.