Author Topic: The Backfiring of the Ban: San Francisco  (Read 247 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Backfiring of the Ban: San Francisco
« on: February 20, 2024, 09:48:17 AM »
We may have talked about this when it first happened, but SF banned city govt from doing business with like 30 states that didn't align with their values. Their hubris was such that they thought those states would fold for the honor of doing business with SF. Didn't work out that way.

Not only that, but the businesses that SF COULD do business with knew they had a captive audience and charged them accordingly. Hence the million dollar public restroom (quantity 1) debacle of around a year ago. They could have bought a cheap modular one, but the company was in Nevada - a state banned from doing business with SF. During the ban, they ended up making over 500 "special dispensation" exceptions just so the city could continue to function, but that wasn't enough.

Hence, the ban has now sort of ended. They are now allowed to do business in all 50 states, but only with businesses that align with SF values. Below is a 5 minute video by ABC San Francisco which fairly unbiasedly lays out the whole debacle.

https://youtu.be/1kZBD9xoQRQ
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: The Backfiring of the Ban: San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 12:38:55 PM »
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 12:54:27 PM »
You're *expletive deleted*ing kidding me...

San Francisco would do business with Virginia, but WOULDN'T do business with the new home of Eastern Communism, Pennsylvania?

WTF, man?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 01:56:16 PM »
. . . Their hubris was such that they thought those states would fold for the honor of doing business with SF. Didn't work out that way . . .

Maybe they're putting something in the water there - this attitude is endemic there, and reminds me of Nancy Pelosi demanding Mitch McConnell jump through a bunch of hoops or else she wouldn't send him the Trump impeachment paperwork . . . which he didn't want anyway.

At first my reaction to this sort of thing is  :facepalm: . . . but after a few seconds, I realize  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: is better.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2024, 02:40:18 PM »
Maybe they're putting something in the water there - this attitude is endemic there, and reminds me of Nancy Pelosi demanding Mitch McConnell jump through a bunch of hoops or else she wouldn't send him the Trump impeachment paperwork . . . which he didn't want anyway.

At first my reaction to this sort of thing is  :facepalm: . . . but after a few seconds, I realize  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: is better.

Well, considering Nancy IS pissing in those waters - - -.  :facepalm:  :rofl:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2024, 11:19:53 PM »
I thought this was going to be about another one of those plastic bag bans that actually led to more plastic being wasted.  :rofl:

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife