Author Topic: Social Security COLA Increase  (Read 550 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Social Security COLA Increase
« on: October 14, 2021, 08:04:28 AM »
Looks like they are increasing SSI payouts by ~6% next year for cost of living. I thought that seemed pretty high, and just did some googling. I don't get exactly how they compute SS annual growth (and I'm not sure they want us to know), but from the below link, we're currently looking at an effective ~3% return for the trust funds (the average is 1% this year).

If I have it right, it's more incentive for me to take SS early to get some dough out of it while I can.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/social-security-huge-cola-increase-deplete-fund

https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/ProgData/intRates.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Social Security COLA Increase
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 08:11:38 AM »
AARP remains the most dangerous lobby in DC
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 10:03:01 AM »
5.9% was announced.  It will be interesting how much the Medicare premium increases we SS denizens will have to pay, which is deducted from our monthly payout, will go up.  That hasn't been announced yet.

I took my SS when I was 62 1/2.  A bird in the hand is better than one in the bush, sez I.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 11:49:56 AM »
From the article, sounds like the party will be over by 2033, possibly sooner.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 12:26:24 PM »
From the article, sounds like the party will be over by 2033, possibly sooner.
Funny how they always talk about running out of money for Social Security (which people worked for) but they never, ever, talk about running out of money for welfare (which people DIDN'T work for.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 12:46:33 PM »
Funny how they always talk about running out of money for Social Security (which people worked for) but they never, ever, talk about running out of money for welfare (which people DIDN'T work for.)

But if you point that out, you're a racist.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 02:22:21 PM »
But if you point that out, you're a racist domestic terrorist.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 05:51:52 PM »
5.9% was announced.  It will be interesting how much the Medicare premium increases we SS denizens will have to pay, which is deducted from our monthly payout, will go up.  That hasn't been announced yet.

I took my SS when I was 62 1/2.  A bird in the hand is better than one in the bush, sez I.

Like you, I started at 62 as well.  And the Medicare premium increase usually takes away whatever the SS increase pays.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”