Main Forums > The Roundtable

Turkey Shortage?

(1/11) > >>

Ben:
I've read a couple of local articles suggesting there will be a turkey shortage for the holidays in these parts. Have any of you seen that in your neck of the woods?

Thanksgiving and Christmas turkeys are a big deal for me, mostly from a family nostalgia perspective. So it will be a priority for me to get a couple of turkeys this year, with cost secondary. I usually don't buy fancy or even fresh turkeys. I'll get whatever Costco has and call it good. But they may not have any this year.

A local farm sells pasture raised turkeys and seems to have plenty available so far for pre-order on their website. You have to create an account to see price, so I'm guessing they'll be really expensive.  :laugh:

I figure my game plan will be to check Costco and the better grocery stores in the area starting the first week of November. If I see any decent frozen turkeys I'll grab two and be done with it. If that fails I guess I'll buy a couple of likely very expensive turkeys from that farm.

I can't imagine not having turkey on Tday and Christmas. I've never not had any in my entire life.

DittoHead:

--- Quote from: Ben on October 14, 2021, 11:10:17 AM ---I've read a couple of local articles suggesting there will be a turkey shortage

--- End quote ---
Even if there wasn't going to be one before, there will probably be one now. These things tend to be kind of self-fulfilling.

Ben:
I don't know how accurate the reporting from websites like this one are. Nevertheless, here they suggest that as far as turkeys go, the potential shortages would be for smaller, fresh birds.

I usually get smaller turkeys, but if all I see is frozen 20 pounders, that's okay. If I have to cook a 20 pounder, I'll freeze half of it for turkey dinners later in the year.  =)

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/food-shortages-2021/

K Frame:
My family used to have turkey for both T-giving and Christmas.

A few years before Mom died I decided to break out of the mold for T-giving and did a roasted pork loin. It was nice, but it did seem to be a bit strange.

sumpnz:
Ben - if you need a turkey let me know.  I have some extras not yet spoken for.  I usually ask $7/lb (these are heritage turkeys raised free range).  Might be able to cut you a small break but I don’t make much over costs at that price.  I also have some broad-breasted turkeys in the freezer (20+ lbs).  Those would be closer to $3/lb.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version