Author Topic: Turkey Shortage?  (Read 1695 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Turkey Shortage?
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2021, 09:40:27 AM »
Also, since no one mentioned it:

If you don't deep-fry your Turkey, are you really even an American?

Well, you're an American that still has his eyebrows.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2021, 01:36:59 PM »
Also, since no one mentioned it:

If you don't deep-fry your Turkey, are you really even an American?

Deep frying a turkey is relatively a new process in Yankee land. Actually being able to purchase a whole turkey year round is probably only been available since the 90s. I remember my mom buying at least half a dozen turkeys when they went on sale after Christmas and she'd roast one monthly until they were gone.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2021, 08:27:30 AM »
Finally, unlike you unhelpful guys, someone has explained the true reason for turkey shortages. CLIMATE CHANGE. How could you chumps have missed that? It's so obvious!  :laugh:

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/10/20/good-morning-america-says-climate-change-is-one-factor-in-rising-turkey-prices-ahead-of-thanksgiving/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2021, 09:14:29 AM »
That guy's a *expletive deleted*ing idiot.

Climate Change isn't responsible for turkey shortages, it's responsible for the rise of the deadly super turkey. The government is keeping this from people, telling them it's a shortage, because they're lying to us... LYING!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2021, 05:15:01 PM »
Shopping at the Albertsons today, I saw they had around a dozen various turkeys on display, from cheap to "free range" and various sizes. Costco did not have turkeys yet as of yesterday. If Costco doesn't have any in by the end of the month, I'm gonna buy at least one at the Albertsons to make sure I have at least one on hand. Maybe I'll buy a smaller one there, and then if small ones run out before Tday, I'll just buy a big one for the second turkey.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2021, 05:20:19 PM »
Aldi had plenty of cheap turkeys for $1.39 a pound yesterday.  First I've seen any this fall.  Since I have one in the freezer already, that's not cheap enough.  Hopefully they drop to $1 or a little less in a couple of week. 
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2021, 11:15:05 AM »
Just put a bird in the smoker, I bought this one at Christmas time last year. 14.5# bird for $20.50. Be curious what they go for this year.

Uranus is a gas giant.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2021, 11:18:42 AM »
No problem here at our household. We like meatloaf.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2021, 11:35:17 AM »
My store had plenty of turkeys yesterday. Just over a buck a pound.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2021, 11:37:27 AM »
Local grocery store website said $1.59# for whole hen turkey.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2021, 12:56:48 PM »
No problem here at our household. We like meatloaf.

Woody

Mmmmm... Meatloaf.  [insert drool smiley here]
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2021, 01:25:09 PM »
So anyways, I was at the fancy Albertsons in Boise this week getting beef boogaloo ingredients, and decided to get turkeys there. They had a decent size freezer section with a good 80 birds, with a mix of Butterballs and other standard brands and the fancy schmantzy organic birds. I did have to search for smaller birds, but got a couple just under 13lbs each. They were $1.70/lb, but unbeknownst to me, when I donated ten bucks to the local food bank via the card reader at checkout, it dropped the price to $0.98/lb.

So my plan is that now I have two frozen birds for sure for Tday and Xmas. On the Monday of Tday week, I will brave the crowds at Costco and see if they have any smaller sized fresh birds. If so, I will get one to make on Tday, then make one of the frozen ones on Xmas, and save the other one for "Thanksgiving in June" so I don't have to go a year without turkey and stuffing.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2021, 01:29:42 PM »
Aldi dropped their price to 87¢ per pound (frozen large Butterballs) and sold out immediately.  Don't know if they will get enough more in at that price to keep up with the demand.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2021, 01:30:40 PM »
Just got back from the grocery store.

They had a bunch of turkeys in the cases -- store brands, Butter Balls, organics.

Last week they were even running a special -- 10 to 20 pound store brand birds for 39 cents a pound. Should have gotten one.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2021, 01:58:31 PM »
I picked up a 12 pounder for .87 last week. My wife told a coworker the next day so he ran by and they were out.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2021, 02:01:51 PM »
I snatched up a 15 lb. Butterball at $0.98/pound at the local Wally World yesterday.  It can at times be difficult to find smaller turkeys in this area, and we are now at a count of 10 people for Thanksgiving.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2021, 02:48:46 PM »
Well Costco had the fresh Butterballs in at $0.99/lb, so I picked one up. Smallest I could find was 14lbs. I'll make this one for Tday and still have the other two for Xmas and Summer Tday.  :laugh:

Holy crap that store was crowded today. I'm thinking I won't be going back till after Christmas.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2021, 02:59:19 PM »
I quartered up Nubs and put her in brine last night. I don’t have all the stuff to scale a whole turkey and pluck so quartering works for me. Nubs was a white broadbreast that came home for free as it was gifted as an escapee from the turkey truck during other farm work. Had pecked its own feet to nubs. She had a good spring and summer where there was actually grass and sunshine. The sidekick though unfortunately turned into a pet. Thing comes up to wherever anyone is to get attention.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2021, 03:12:59 PM »
So, what is the "shelf life" of a turkey in one's freezer?

Oh, and since Aldi is european, the local progressives love it - altho they occasionally find an excuse to pitch a fit about something - usually about one of the OTHER neighbors who don't speak english...

Gigglesnort.
Blog under construction

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2021, 04:53:24 PM »

Good Question,

I cooked a turkey that was in the freezer for 6 months, (after x-mas sale ). The turkey tasted fine, and was a treat. Normally, we only cook a full bird on the Thanksgiving. 

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2021, 06:11:38 PM »
I've went a year before with no problem.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2021, 06:43:20 PM »

Years.  Don't ask how many because I don't know; depends how well it is wrapped.  Two or three years should be no problem.
"It's good, though..."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2021, 07:51:51 PM »
No issues with turkey shortages at Chez Sump.  And with heritage breed no freezer issues to contend with.  I just kill one as I need it.

Hmmm.  Imgur link not working it seems.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2021, 08:36:21 PM »
No issues with turkey shortages at Chez Sump.  And with heritage breed no freezer issues to contend with.  I just kill one as I need it.

Hmmm.  Imgur link not working it seems.

Whats your current bird situation look like, sumpnz?

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2021, 12:52:36 AM »
Got 19 turkeys in the yard.  1 tom and 3 hens that are immune from slaughter as they’re my breeders.  The rest are for eating.