Author Topic: A Stupid Computer Question  (Read 1350 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: A Stupid Computer Question
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2021, 03:38:59 PM »
Yeah, might be. Maybe late 90s? Though I know that around 1998 I went to Gateway instead of buying computer show no name laptops.

My recollection is, early 90s, 91, 92  the typical drive in a desktop PC was an 80MB, 120MB or 160MB, in there somewhere.  Capacity mounted up rapidly.  Mid decade sometime you started to see the first 1GB drives.  Laptop drives lagged a bit.

Something like this will let you try to read it. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2021, 03:49:07 PM »
Something like this will let you try to read it.

Thanks. I'll have to see if I have an old IDE cable here or can additionally order one on Amazon, because it looks from the picture that the IDE port is too fat. Or from the other side of the equation, the pins on this drive are right up almost against the drive housing. I'm gonna need a pretty skinny connector, I think, to hook things up.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2021, 04:51:38 PM »
Thanks. I'll have to see if I have an old IDE cable here or can additionally order one on Amazon, because it looks from the picture that the IDE port is too fat. Or from the other side of the equation, the pins on this drive are right up almost against the drive housing. I'm gonna need a pretty skinny connector, I think, to hook things up.

Laptops used a smaller connector.  Regular to laptop drive adapters are around, or were.  Your problem will be finding a computer with an IDE interface to plug it into.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2021, 04:56:13 PM »

You'll need an adapter to get from the 2.5 inch laptop hard drive parallel connector to the 3.5 inch full size hard drive connector.  Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Kinamax-ADP-IDE23-2-5-Inch-3-5-Inch-Converter/dp/B000HJBEUY/ref=sr_1_41?dchild=1&keywords=ide+connector+adapter&qid=1634330655&sr=8-41

Or you could go laptop PATA to regular SATA like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Convert-Laptop-Drive-Serial/dp/B07Z5ZQNWP/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=2.5+pata+to+sata+adapter&qid=1634330916&s=electronics&sr=1-4
A caveat is that I know nothing about this particular brand.  There are Sabrent and Startech versions of this adapter out there.  Those two are decent brands.

The best thing to do might be to get one of these as it works with both 2.5 inch laptop and 3.5 inch full size drives, whether they are PATA or SATA.
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-USB-SATA-IDE-Adapter/dp/B00D76J1KO/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2QTBEW2HQJQIO&dchild=1&keywords=sata%2Fpata%2Fide+drive+to+usb+2.0+adapter&qid=1634331129&refinements=p_89%3ACable+Matters%7CSABRENT%7CStarTech&rnid=2528832011&s=electronics&sprefix=usb+pata+to+sata+adapter%2Celectronics%2C223&sr=1-9
Lots of flexibility with one of these and they usually work pretty well.  I have three or four of them around from my computer biz days.
(They are about ten bucks more since I last bought one.  I wonder if that's due to supply chain issues or just inflation in general.)
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2021, 08:40:56 PM »
Do you really want to play that old Tetris game that bad?

I have it on 5 1/4 floppy if you need it.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2021, 04:00:27 PM »
There are adapters that let you read a lot of the old stuff and they are CHEAP. I have a few.
https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Adapter-Converter-Optical-External/dp/B01J7MWD4M/
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2021, 12:57:59 AM »
A variation of Tetris called "Stacker Blocks 3D" is available here.

http://stacker-blocks.sourceforge.net/

Here's an online Tetris.

https://www.freetetris.org/game.php
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”