Author Topic: Record 4.3 million Americans quit their jobs in August  (Read 1481 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Record 4.3 million Americans quit their jobs in August
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2021, 01:52:16 PM »
Good for them.

Here's some reasons people are quitting:

I'm perfectly fine with a business failing because they can't treat people right. Good riddance.
Very good and righteous rant. 

Thankfully, I haven't ran into that too much myself, but I have heard stories from others, some of them working for my own employer.  My company goes out of its way to recruit and keep engineers and salaried people, but doesn't always treat hourly people well.  All depends on their local manager and how much they back them up. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2021, 02:03:31 PM »
Before my dad retired the first time (he sucked at retirement until about the 3rd time) he had a graph on the fridge.  It showed life expectancy vs age at retirement.  I don’t remember exactly what the number were, but was something like retiring at 55 gave a life expectancy of about 85.  Retiring at 70 gave a life expectancy of about 72.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2021, 06:59:10 PM »
Or writing someone up for being a few minutes late when they've showed up early and stayed late multiple times unpaid.

A company I worked at for a couple of months pulled that BS on me.  It was wintertime with snowy roads so I left 30 minutes earlier than usual, driving from Illinois to Bridgeton, MO.  As this was before cellphones had made much of an appearance, I didn't have one and we were supposed to call this "800" number to let them know we would be late.  I drove about 25 miles and got in about 10 minutes late.  One supervisor (not mine) was complaining about all the "no shows" and asked how far I had to drive.  When I told him, he was astonished as he said some of those "no shows" had to drive less than half that distance and didn't.
Later that day, MY "stupidvisor" told me I was being written up for not calling in as "late".  The funny thing was that supers name - McFail.
BTW, the company was working with the phone company and Yahoo (no surprise there) to set up people with DSL.  The company's name is/was Convergys.  [barf]
Run, don't walk, RUN.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2021, 11:19:49 PM »
I have found that nothing promotes a bad attitude among hourly employees like enforcing chicken *expletive deleted*it rules, especially rules around pay.  I guess that works for salaried people as well.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2021, 07:39:38 AM »
"Good for them.

Here's some reasons people are quitting:"

The one fun thing about Facebook is that there are a LOT of stories (mainly grabbed from Reddit and other sites like that) that recount lots of crap like that. Some of them (like the one about "you can't go to your graduation because you have to work that day") result in the individual walking off the job that second, much to the shock of the manager/owner.

I've had a couple of horrible jobs, but each one has had some good things about it...

NRA (not being associate editor of American Rifleman, that was a hoot, but NRA's operations and the people above publications sucked)

Navy Federal Credit Union (low pay, military bullshit mentality of "I'm an officer, you'll do what I say!", but at least the people I worked with in my department were again, good (I, however, was a monster, I was really messed up mentally at the time) and I took a LOT of satisfaction in knowing that I was helping young enlistees learn about establishing a solid financial footing

My last gig before the one I'm in now. The customer was horrific, but I got some very valuable security clearance add ons that pretty much guarantee I'll never got very long between jobs.

Then there was SAIC. I spent 20 years there. Sure there were some annoyances, but SAIC treated its people well and for the first time in my career I was, from the outset, treated as a valued problem solver, not a wage monkey stealing from the pockets of management.

And now I'm at AT&T. I'm finding it very similar to SAIC in a lot of ways. Yeah, it's a seething pit of corporate wokeness, but I can deal with that. And I can also deal with the fact that on my team, when you do a good job, you get recognized and often rewarded.

And, I'm working literally 2 miles from my house. Lot to be said for that. :)
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.