Author Topic: How well does bacon freeze?  (Read 2077 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
How well does bacon freeze?
« on: October 15, 2021, 09:33:08 AM »
I don't use a lot of bacon, and I use it mainly for seasoning other dishs, such as stew, chili, etc.

Which means that in the past I've often used a half pound only to have the other half pound go bad.

Plus, with bacon prices rising like they are, I want to take advantage of sales.

So, how well does bacon freeze?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: How well does bacon freeze?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 09:36:08 AM »
I don't use a lot of bacon, and I use it mainly for seasoning other dishs, such as stew, chili, etc.

Which means that in the past I've often used a half pound only to have the other half pound go bad.

Plus, with bacon prices rising like they are, I want to take advantage of sales.

So, how well does bacon freeze?

I usually buy bulk Sam's packages and freeze much of it. It seems to freeze just fine with no real change in quality
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 09:36:49 AM »
Extremely well.  I put the sealed package in the freezer and pull it out as needed.  Once it is thawed, I keep it in the fridge until I use it up.  We do not have a problem using up a pound before it goes off. I have not noticed any loss of quality. I buy it on sale, and I probably have around six or seven pounds in the garage freezer right now.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 09:36:56 AM »
I'm just one data point, but I freeze bacon all the time and I don't think I can detect any flavor or cooking differences.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 09:45:38 AM »
If your store has a decent spice & flavorings aisle, there are "bacon bits" in small jars that don't require refrigeration and would meet your occasional use requirement without refrigeration or freezng.  I kinda thought that was why bacon was smoked and salted --for preservation.

Besides, I don't think one buys bacon itself, one buys the smoke.  That spice aisle should contain liquid hickory smoke elixir or tincture in small bottles which might meet your needs anyway if you aren't a hyper-epicurean.

I like to use a bit of those crunchy little bits on salads and some other stuff, but as for real bacon, I try to avoid it because of the fat and salt content.

However, at least one company (Hormel?) puts out sliced bacon in a no-refrigeration package which works out well when I succumb to the bacon monkey on my back.

I guess they irradiate it for preservation, but once the package is open, it requires refrigeration or freezing.  In that case, I separate the remaining slices into convenient amounts and freeze them in those small sandwich bags.  Though they're stuck together, µwaving them results in their neat separation and crunchification, depending on how long you subject them to the 7-8 cm energy of the usual kitchen µwave.

Bon appetit ! =D

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 10:35:43 AM by 230RN »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 09:48:46 AM »
I have a good amount of frozen bacon in my freezer right now - the vacuum packed packages it's sold in are just fine and require no additional wrapping.

Hmmmm . . . thinking about it now, I think I should probably make some bacon buns this weekend . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2021, 09:54:31 AM »
 Bought a ten pound box and froze meal sizes in vac bags. Used it for a year just fine. The precooked stuff is handy too.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2021, 10:03:39 AM »
I keep mine in the original packaging. The packs I buy at Costco have two packages in each pack, with 10-12 slices of bacon per pack. I have bacon and eggs 1-2 times a week, with 5-6 pieces of bacon per meal (or 4-5 because of the begging dog) so that works out just fine without worrying about the bacon going bad after I've opened a package.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2021, 10:06:36 AM »
Those bacon bits generally aren't bacon.

They're flavored textured vegetable protein, and they just taste... weird... to me.

When I want the flavor of bacon in a dish, I want the flavor of real bacon. For example, a good one is bean and bacon soup. It's just not the same with liquid smoke. 
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2021, 10:12:10 AM »
Seems to freeze perfectly fine if left in the original vacuum-sealed packaging. Sams carries my favorite bacon, Wright thick-cut hickory smoked, in 4 lb lots (two 2 lb sealed packages). On occasion I've cooked it after being frozen for several months. No issues at all. I usually cook the entire package on a Saturday morning. We'll gnaw on it over the weekend, then bag it up and keep for things like sandwiches, salads, etc. Once cooked, it seems to do just fine in the fridge for several weeks.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2021, 10:14:22 AM »
I just pulled a bacon package out to thaw so we can make this on Sunday:  https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/split-pea-soup-hearty-split-pea-soup-from-the-new-york-times/972325

One of the best split pea soups we have ever had and any time I get to use the immersion blender, it is good. We serve it with homemade bread.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2021, 10:16:38 AM »
"I don't use a lot of bacon."

That's something a woke commie pinko would say.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2021, 10:19:18 AM »
"I don't use a lot of bacon."

That's something a woke commie pinko would say.

I use a lot of ham and sausage, Comrade.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 10:56:07 AM »
We've never had a problem freezing bacon, with one caveat.  We have found that its flavor or texture can change if its left frozen for more than a year.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2021, 11:38:05 AM »
There are actual real bacon bits/crumblies out there for sale. I think that Hormel is one brand.

My father used to cook up a large batch, and then freeze that, and microwave when ready to eat it.
Blog under construction

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2021, 11:39:20 AM »
I'll buy 20-30# when it's on sale, it freezes well. If you ever have a pig slaughtered, you get your bacon back frozen.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2021, 11:57:50 AM »

They're flavored textured vegetable protein, and they just taste... weird... to me.

When I want the flavor of bacon in a dish, I want the flavor of real bacon. For example, a good one is bean and bacon soup. It's just not the same with liquid smoke. 

Wally World sells real bacon bits under their house brand.  They're not bad.  We have a bag in the fridge right now that we use as a salad topping.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2021, 12:02:00 PM »
Wally World sells real bacon bits under their house brand.  They're not bad.  We have a bag in the fridge right now that we use as a salad topping.

Sam’s has a big bag for $10 of probably the same stuff it’s good stuff and a real bargain compared to little bags from Hormel or Oscar Mayer for $4-5 apiece.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2021, 12:40:49 PM »

You can get real bacon bits. The "stuff" that you speak of is vile.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2021, 12:42:58 PM »

You know, I had NO idea that companies were selling pre-cooked bacon bits.

Still, I'd rather have a package of real bacon in the freezer, just in case.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2021, 12:48:21 PM »
Like those above, I buy bacon in bulk and freeze.

Not only can you freeze it but it probably tolerates freezing better than any other meat I've frozen.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2021, 01:45:49 PM »
Generally it makes sense that it would freeze well because it's preserved, and the preservation process removes water from the meat, which reduces the chance of freezer burn and the like.

I just wanted to make sure that something else didn't come into play that I didn't expect, like the fat getting weird and spongy or something, or it developing some other off trait that some foods can when they're frozen.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2021, 01:52:10 PM »
Sam’s has a big bag for $10 of probably the same stuff it’s good stuff and a real bargain compared to little bags from Hormel or Oscar Mayer for $4-5 apiece.

Costco does this as well, with the big bag of Hormel brand.  It just perfect when I want to add bacon to a pasta sauce, throw on top of a salad, or mash into the devilled egg filling.

ETA: I keep this bag of bacon bits in the kitchen freezer so I can add bacon at a whim.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 02:46:01 PM by MillCreek »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2021, 01:55:41 PM »
I really should consider rejoining Costco or BJs.

But I hate to do so for a couple of reasons...

1. I'm single. I just can't use a lot of the stuff in the quantities sold there.

2. Costco especially is a seething mass of humanity. I break into a sweat just thinking about walking into that place.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2021, 01:55:58 PM »
Costco does this as well, with the big bag of Hormel brand.  It just perfect when I want to add bacon to a pasta sauce, throw on top of a salad, or mash into the devilled egg filling.

I never heard of such a thing.  Sounds real good.  I'll have to give that a try.