Author Topic: How well does bacon freeze?  (Read 2081 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: How well does bacon freeze?
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2021, 01:57:58 PM »
You know, I had NO idea that companies were selling pre-cooked bacon bits.

Still, I'd rather have a package of real bacon in the freezer, just in case.

Fake bacon is like fake crab.  No, just no.  Absolutely not.  Wrong in any universe.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2021, 02:38:37 PM »
I really should consider rejoining Costco or BJs.

But I hate to do so for a couple of reasons...

1. I'm single. I just can't use a lot of the stuff in the quantities sold there.

2. Costco especially is a seething mass of humanity. I break into a sweat just thinking about walking into that place.

With Costco and being single, a vacuum sealer is your friend. I hate crowds there too, but weekday mornings are not bad if you can swing it. I'm told right before closing also isn't bad, but I never go there that late.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2021, 02:50:42 PM »
Yeah, I've got a vacuum sealer. But I'm not sure that I have enough freezer space to store a 250-lb "family pack" of chicken thighs...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2021, 03:00:03 PM »
Walmart here sells 3# (I think it's actually 2.5# now) packages of Plumrose bacon ends & pieces.  I just finished a package and need to buy a couple more; 1.5 pack for the freezer and a half a pack for the fridge.  It cooks up better than sliced bacon and works just as well in a BLT.  It's a lot cheaper than sliced bacon.

Costco and Sam's both sell real bacon sprinkles in big bags for less than $10.  They don't need refrigeration until you open them, then they do unless you use 'em up real fast. 

And I still have a few packages of sliced bacon in the freezer from when KwikTrip put it on sale a year or two ago.  It freezes very well.  Probably oxidizes a little if you leave it in there more than a few years.

Sometimes expensive bacon from a butcher shop is a better deal than supermarket bacon because it doesn't shrink as much, and you don't have to cook off a bunch of water before it actually fries.  And you can buy it pretty much by the slice instead of big packages.
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2021, 10:45:56 PM »
Ben:

"I have bacon and eggs 1-2 times a week, with 5-6 pieces of bacon per meal (or 4-5 because of the begging dog) ..."

=D

As I remember, with two dogs in the house (back when), that problem was general to all foods... especially since I couldn't dissuade the kids from slipping them some goodies from the humans' table whenever I blinked.  To this day, I swear it was a game for them with the dogs as witting and willing guerrillas.

K Frame:

"Those bacon bits generally aren't bacon."

Where'd you get that from?  Rocket man also questioned that. I just threw out an emptied jar of those so I can't check the ingredients, but I wasn't aware of that.  Brand name differences?

Millcreek:

"I just pulled a bacon package out to thaw so we can make this on Sunday:  https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/split-pea-soup-hearty-split-pea-soup-from-the-new-york-times/972325"

You low-down  dirty rotten scoundrel, you.  Sounds out of this world delicious, but some folks have to watch their Nackle (NaCl) intake.  I used to love lentil soup with cut up hot dogs in it and it was a favorite at pot luck affairs at work.

But the Nackle, the Nackle !

I think I'll check my BP now... Just the thought of that much Nackle in your NYT recipe must have spiked it.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 12:23:26 PM by 230RN »

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2021, 11:45:22 PM »
I didn't question the fake bacon bits so much as say that genuine ones are readily available.  Maybe K-frame had a hiccup or two in the past when he bought bacon bits, got the fake ones accidentally.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2021, 02:20:29 AM »

Well, I questioned that because of the "generally," but let's let it go.  My misinterpretation.

Clause struck out.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 12:11:50 PM by 230RN »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2021, 02:29:35 AM »
These https://www.amazon.com/McCormick-Culinary-Flavored-Bacon-Bits/dp/B005D8SWXQ/ref=asc_df_B005D8SWXQ and the Bacos brand in small bottles are actually pretty good, but are a poor substitute for the real deal.  For one thing, they are not greasy enough :)  Use the imitation soy bacon bits on a salad (they are good for that), and get real bacon crumbles for everything else.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2021, 07:02:50 AM »
"K Frame:

Where'd you get that from?  Rocket man also questioned that. I just threw out an emptied jar of those so I can't check the ingredients, but I wasn't aware of that.  Brand name differences?"

Well, when I was growing up, the only "bacon bits" that you could store in a cupboard were Bacos.

From the Amazon listing for Bacos (which are unavailable):

"Bacon-flavored condiment made with the goodness of soy
No saturated fat or cholesterol; contains no meat
Preservative-free food in a convenient, re-closable container"

There are a number of other makers of similar products, like McCormick, only they're flat out called imitation bacon bits. But they're made with soy (as in textured soy flour).

I see the imitation bacon bits most commonly on salad bars (saw them on the salad bar at the grocery last night, in fact). Never cared for them, never go looking for them, never use them.

But, as others have noted, and which I didn't know about, there's now REAL bacon bits in bags that are relatively shelf stable. I never went looking for it so I didn't know it existed.

But, I think I still want to sock away some real bacon in the freezer. Few things smell better than bacon cooking, and part of cooking bacon for a recipe is getting the bacon fat as a cooking oil.

For example, when I do chili and put bacon in it, I cook the bacon slowly to get it fairly firm, but to also get all of the fat out of it.

Then I cook the onions, peppers, garlic, chilis, and anything else in the bacon fat before it all goes into the pot. Simply can't beat that flavor boost.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2021, 07:35:42 AM »
^^^My parents were both born and raised in NE Arkansas, so as a kid growing up, they always had a container of bacon drippings in the fridge used for frying.  Due to now taking statins, that is one habit I had to drop.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2021, 07:47:15 AM »
I would make my own bacon bits, but I always eat all the bacons...

I use this when I make Evil Mac'n'Cheezes...

https://www.aldireviewer.com/tuscan-garden-real-bacon-bits/
Blog under construction

230RN

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2021, 07:56:25 AM »
I would make my own bacon bits, but I always eat all the bacons...

I use this when I make Evil Mac'n'Cheezes...

https://www.aldireviewer.com/tuscan-garden-real-bacon-bits/

:rofl: 

That's like making egg nog for Christmas.  The guests rarely got to have any of our homemade and I always had to run out and get some from the store, and spice that up for the guests.  I used to call it Rescue Nog.

(That was when I was drinking.)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2021, 08:21:48 AM »
^^^My parents were both born and raised in NE Arkansas, so as a kid growing up, they always had a container of bacon drippings in the fridge used for frying.  Due to now taking statins, that is one habit I had to drop.

Yeah, I'm taking statins, too, but I'm going the moderation route, not the religious-type penance route.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2021, 08:54:28 AM »
If this group was really woke, turkey bacon would have been mentioned by now.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2021, 09:27:08 AM »

Turkey bacon is like imitation crab meat.  No, just no.  I guess this crowd just isn't woke.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2021, 09:30:15 AM »

That's not woke. This is woke:

https://lovingitvegan.com/vegan-bacon/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2021, 10:10:39 AM »
This is more woke since it involves unprocessed ingredients from Mother Gaia:

https://healthmylifestyle.com/carrot-bacon/

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2021, 03:17:57 PM »

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!

I tried turkey bacon some years ago. Butterball, I think.

The taste was good, the mouthfeel not so much. It was loaded with bone chips, which was VERY off putting.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2021, 03:52:10 PM »
When I was a kid my parents hosted a high school student via American Field Service. He was from Sri Lanka and happened to be muslim. He was overjoyed to find that our bacon bits didn't contain any actual pork. He ate them all the time from then on.

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

230RN

• friend
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2021, 06:51:08 PM »
As I said, you're really buying the smoke.

Which works well with some substrates, others not so much.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2021, 08:16:36 PM »
I never heard of such a thing.  Sounds real good.  I'll have to give that a try.
Yes, an egg with bacon filling sounds good.   =)

I freeze it all the time. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2021, 08:18:18 PM »
As I said, you're really buying the smoke.

Which works well with some substrates, others not so much.
Since most of it I eat is fried in a pan before frying eggs, I think I want a little more than the smoke. 

Gotta have the grease also.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2021, 07:12:26 AM »
Since most of it I eat is fried in a pan before frying eggs, I think I want a little more than the smoke. 

Gotta have the grease also.   =)

Bingo.

I can throw all of the smoke and salt I want into a pot, but it will NEVER replicate the flavor that actual bacon adds, because you don't get the pork flavor profile with just liquid smoke and salt.

I threw a pound into the freezer yesterday. I'll grab another pound or two for the deep freeze.

But, I found some solid gold in the freezer... a really nice looking chunk of beef chuck that I forgot that I bought.

I think I'll turn that into borscht sometime in the next couple of weeks.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2021, 11:49:35 AM »
Bingo.

I can throw all of the smoke and salt I want into a pot, but it will NEVER replicate the flavor that actual bacon adds, because you don't get the pork flavor profile with just liquid smoke and salt.

I threw a pound into the freezer yesterday. I'll grab another pound or two for the deep freeze.

But, I found some solid gold in the freezer... a really nice looking chunk of beef chuck that I forgot that I bought.

I think I'll turn that into borscht sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Imitation bacon bits suck for cooking, but they are actually pretty good for some things; adding a salty bacon-y crunch to salads.  Or just as a salty snack if you don't pretend they are bacon.  For cooking, if you can't have real bacon (sad!) try a smoked turkey wing.  The smoked turkey fat kinda works.

Congrats on the unexpected beef roast :)
"It's good, though..."

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2021, 12:19:51 AM »
I have a good amount of frozen bacon in my freezer right now - the vacuum packed packages it's sold in are just fine and require no additional wrapping.

Hmmmm . . . thinking about it now, I think I should probably make some bacon buns this weekend . . .

Exactly.  I freeze it like that too.
And check those "ingredients" on those "bacon bits".  IIRC, most of them are soy-based with artificial flavors.  The fats in real bacon would turn rancid in days no matter how it is processed.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”