Author Topic: Anybody here do Flames of War war games? (WW2 models, 1/100 scale)  (Read 538 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
I have a friend that it's into war games and he's trying to get me started.  I told him I might be interested in WWII.  Well, he's big into that, and I've played one game with him just to see how it works (Germans vs Germans using his models, it was probably the late war period but I don't know)  It was confusing but fun, and I actually won.  I think it would have been fun even if I'd lost.

I want to play the Americans (mostly because 'Murica!!, but also because I recognize the names of the weapons) and trying to figure out how to get started for less than $200.  I think if I buy late-war American units and I'm careful what units I buy, they can do double-duty for mid war battles too just by buying a Fighting First book or set of unit cards.

Does this make any sense to anyone?   BTW, I watched Patton last night. :D
"It's good, though..."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Anybody here do Flames of War war games? (WW2 models, 1/100 scale)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 05:51:03 PM »
BTW, I watched Patton last night. :D

So you'll be equipping your Flames of War German army with M48 tanks?

;)

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 06:03:53 PM »
Several years ago I went a bit nuts with WWII 1/72 models, mostly aircraft.  If I were to start a 1/100 collection, I'd be broke.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 06:04:53 PM »
So you'll be equipping your Flames of War German army with M48 tanks?

;)

Because it's called "Patton"? :)  No, I'll be building an American army.  Might add a British allied unit or two if they have anything good, I haven't researched that.  M4 Sherman tanks, M3 Stuart tanks, M7 "Priest" artillery, M10 tank destroyers, a couple of armored rifle platoons, and maybe a battery of 105mm howitzers.  No aircraft.  Not sure whether HQ will be with the tanks or with the infantry.

I don't know how big an army I can field before I run out of points or run out of money.  And I'm pretty sure I'll get my ass handed to my the first few battles while I'm learning how it all works.
"It's good, though..."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 10:36:52 AM »
Because it's called "Patton"? :) 

Because in the movie, the "German" tanks were actually M48s.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 01:09:27 PM »
Because in the movie, the "German" tanks were actually M48s.

I did not know that :)  It makes sense that they couldn't use actual German tanks
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 04:31:07 PM »
I bought an American late-war starter set; mostly tanks plus one platoon of armored infantry.  I knew that wasn't enough, so I also ordered another armored infantry platoon.  I think with 2 platoons I can have an infantry company, although I don't have any HQ units yet.  The boxes came this weekend.  I haven't started gluing the parts together yet because I'm intimidated by all the tiny pieces. :laugh:  I have just shy of the usual 100 points for a game, but my friend that got me into this says I have enough we can play.

Well,  I got this idea stuck in my head that I should have some (not many) negro soldiers.  But the armed forces were not integrated in the 1940's.  I could have a black infantry platoon, but would they ever be joined with a white platoon?  I've about decided that all my infantry should be various shades of white, and perhaps the blacks can be in the tanks.  There was a highly-decorated black armor unit that fought under General Patton; the 761st Tank Battalion, aka the "Black Panthers".  They fought with Sherman and Stuart tanks, and I have Shermans and Stuarts.  But I my armor company also has M7 Priest artillery and M10 tank destroyers, and I don't know if the 761st had those and not sure how to find out.  The M7s are open top, so the soldiers inside will be visible.

Historical accuracy is not all that important here, but I'd rather not create anachronisms like painting a few black faces in my infantry units would do.  Perhaps because they are so small anyway I should just paint them all army green, including the faces and hands.  If the army wanted them to have a race, it would have issued one.
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 01:51:02 AM »
I started putting the models together tonight.  It took me well over an hour to assemble the first M3 halftrack.  It didn't have all that many parts but they were tiny.  And there were spare parts for some reason, like extra fenders and an extra tailgate.  The spares looked just a little different, like one set of fenders is more rounded.  GM vs White, maybe?  Took me about a half hour just to figure out how to mount the little .50 machine gun.  Once I had figured out how the glue works and how the machine gun goes on, the next two only took about 10 or 15 minutes each.  I think I have 7 more to go, then all the tanks and the infantry. (infantry should be really easy)  I haven't painted or even primed anything yet.  I think the trucks look just fine w/o paint, just need a white star on the hood.  But I'll probably paint them eventually.

I need to go up to the church some night (I have a key) and work in their basement on the big tables.  The light is better than in my house too.
"It's good, though..."