Author Topic: Pellet Guns?  (Read 2775 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Pellet Guns?
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2021, 12:29:33 PM »
Are there breeds of dogs that are better at hunting stuff like gophers? 

All I know for sure is don't hire a groundskeeper.

Dachshund?  Or maybe a Jack Russell terrier.
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2021, 12:38:34 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2021, 12:39:29 PM »
Here is my question of the day and then I will quit.

Why a pellet gun? You still have to worry about ricochets don't you?

When I did collared dove control at a friend's wheat farm in WA I would use a bolt action 22 and either shorts or CCI Quiet from about 35yds away to pop their little heads off. The CCI Quiet are only moving around 700fps, slower than most pellet guns.

I used a Marlin bolt with a Cabelas rimfire scope on it. It was one of the most fun and useful guns I have. When doing gopher control for a friend near Calgary or in MT and WA I would use a 17HMR, Although fast with only a 17gr bullet moving as fast as it does I think the potential for ricochet may be lessened by the bullet fragmenting if it hits something. That is just a guess as I can't recall ever getting a ricochet wit the 17HMR.

bob

Piggybacking on that, I found that bullets like the 60 gr Nosler partition bullet could not be shot at the low angles of prairie dog shooting without a ricochet.  The bullets held together too well and it was darned annoying. 

Bang. Whop. Kapweeeeeeng.

On the other hand, 53 grain SX bullets from Hornady never ricocheted.  It would seem they would disintegrate on hitting a blade of grass.  Well that's an exaggeration for the sake of illustration, but the fact remains that I never ever heard a ricochet from those bullets in .223 Remington.

A little overkill for Ben's usage, but this confirms BobR's observation.

Terry, 230RN

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2021, 12:45:50 PM »

Ben will need a little Kenny Loggins music playing in the background when he goes after the gophers.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2021, 06:02:15 PM »
Ben will need a little Kenny Loggins music playing in the background when he goes after the gophers.

... and change his name to Carl.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2021, 06:39:45 PM »
Daisy 880 for a cheap control - reliably kills ground squirrels

I have one of the 880's and wouldn't recommend it for shooting any kind of squirrel.  Not enough punch, even with max pumps in it.  Not very accurate - OK enough for punching holes in paper but trying for a head shot on a squirrel at any distance? - not so much. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2021, 09:03:20 AM »
Regarding the .410, I saw this:

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/savage-301-turkey-single-shot-shotgun

Which could be an interesting alternative, and cheap enough as well. It even takes a red dot.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2021, 09:25:41 AM »

My wife went to a Kenny Loggins concert a couple of months ago.  I did not know that Kenny Loggins was originally from this area.  She said that 'I'm Alright' got the second-biggest applause of the evening.  'Danger Zone' was first.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2022, 11:08:59 AM »
With everything going on I'm back at looking at pellet guns
And wouldn't you know it the one I want has gone way up Grrrrrr..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B3PT2QP/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=A18CQ5FFITKTLU&psc=1

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2022, 09:22:22 PM »
I have no experience with them, but BattleHawkArmory has it for $500 plus $20 shipping.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2022, 09:17:09 AM »
I need to check with my gun dealer.  He got one for someone that worked pretty good and was fairly quiet.  Just .177 pellets, but that is mostly all I want.  It was a single shot break open design with a suppressor permanently mounted. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge