Main Forums > The Roundtable

Extending the range on wireless

(1/3) > >>

Cliffh:
I know we've had discussions about this many times, but my search ability is weak today.  Can't find anything newer than 2014 and I'll bet things have changed a bit since then.

Anyways, I've got a ViaSat RM4000 series satellite modem attached to a D Link DIR619L router in a residential wood framed house on 5 acres.  I get fair wireless coverage near the house, but would like to extend the range to where I can get adequate signal out to about 200 yards. 

I'm most interested in the signal towards the work shop.  It's about 200' from the router, with 3 rooms of the house in between. Right now I get maybe one bar on my phone outside the shop, inside the metal shed there's nothing.  I'm not too concerned about getting the signal inside the shop, having a good signal outside the shop would be fine.  The signal to the rest of the property would only have to go through at most two walls of the house, the signal to the back yard would only have to go through one wall/window.

What are some of my options?  I wouldn't like to run cable, but I can make & run a cable if necessary.

kgbsquirrel:
Directional antenna?

BobR:
Back in the day when I worked in Montana and the on-site internet blocked all of the fun sites I rigged up a Hawking inline antenna amplifier and a US Robotics directional antenna to shoot my home signal about 100 yds and through 3 walls (a large ambulance bay and wall to the space I was in). It was good enough for us to get a decent signal inside the ER so we could go to places the .gov didn't think we needed to go. As this was nearly 20 years ago I would bet the technology has done nothing but get better.

bob

eta: I had almost forgotten. The cantenna.

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Cantenna

Brad Johnson:
May not be in your budget, but still impressive range.

https://youtu.be/qJeKZkK31JE

Brad

Jim147:
At my cabin I have an old Hawking antenna in an old dish antenna with a piece of sheet metal for a rain cover pointed at the house.

Until we went internet tv I used to have other repeaters getting it way over 200 yards.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version