Poll

What is the best category of sighting system for teaching rifle marksmanship basics to new shooters?

iron sights
8 (50%)
red dot / reflex sight
4 (25%)
fixed power scope
2 (12.5%)
variable scope
0 (0%)
don't matter
0 (0%)
it depends
1 (6.3%)
set 'em up w/ a bump stock, and tell 'em to close their eyes and pray
1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: January 27, 2022, 09:32:19 PM

Author Topic: Best type of sight for teaching newbs to shoot?  (Read 530 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Best type of sight for teaching newbs to shoot?
« on: October 19, 2021, 10:32:19 PM »
I'm not talking about teaching three gun or long-range precision - just enough to make a good group at 50 or 100 yards.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jim147

• friends
Re: Best type of sight for teaching newbs to shoot?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 10:51:02 PM »
Young eyes or old eyes? It makes a difference.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 11:06:25 PM »
Young eyes or old eyes? It makes a difference.

I'll put you down as "it depends."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 11:12:58 PM »
I would say start with the red dot.  Just thinking a red dot would be more fun for beginners.  Maybe less focus on sight alignment and more focus on trigger pull and safety.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 11:26:47 PM »
Iron aperture sights. Gotta start with the fundamentals. Starting at scopes just encourages learning to chase wobbles.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 11:34:50 PM »
I wouldn't start a newbie at 50 or 100 yards. Start at 25 yards with iron sights. Don't move out to 50 yards until they can get decent groups at 25 yards.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 11:45:27 PM »
I agree with French and Hawkmoon.  Jim also isn't wrong, if you can't see your sights, the experience will prove frustrating and unproductive.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 12:05:30 AM »
Your basic iron sights. A thing with a notch, and a post. Don't get complicated, and don't go high-tech to start.

Draw a sight picture on a target. Point to the things on the .22 you are using. Go from there.
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 01:00:26 AM »
I wouldn't start a newbie at 50 or 100 yards. Start at 25 yards with iron sights. Don't move out to 50 yards until they can get decent groups at 25 yards.

No one said to start them at 50 or 100.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 01:19:35 AM »
Your basic iron sights. A thing with a notch, and a post. Don't get complicated, and don't go high-tech to start.

Draw a sight picture on a target. Point to the things on the .22 you are using. Go from there.

Diopter irons have better efficacy (circle and post), but yes to all of the above.  Learn to walk before you run.  Irons before optics.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2021, 01:39:47 AM »
No one said to start them at 50 or 100.

Your question certainly implied exactly that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2021, 05:58:20 AM »
Red dot or Eotech is as close to point and click as you get for guns. Personally I’m a big fan of irons but red dot is even easier to use. The caution about wobble chasing is real though. A red dot doesn’t obscure any parts of the target like irons do and newbies who have no gun experience at all seem to really like that aspect.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2021, 06:09:32 AM »
If your goal is to help someone to have fun and enjoy shooting, I would say red dot. Irons have their place, but if I just had an afternoon with someone and wanted them to leave enjoying the experience I would give them a .22 with a red dot and fun targets.

Might be a different answer if you are teaching for something else or have a captive audience you are training.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2021, 07:10:52 AM »
Iron Patridge-style (square cut rear with square notch, square front sight) for beginners.  Probably a red dot for older folk.

Stay away from beads and "scooped-out" rear sights unless they're shooting antiques.

Scopes?  I don't know.  Depends on the target, the shooter,and how old the scope is.  (Older scopes seem to require the shock of recoil to settle in for each adjustment.)

And regardless of sight style, emphasize firing for group, without adjusting for each shot, not for center of bull.  That comes later, when you reveal the arcane secrets of minutes of angle and <gasp!> tangents...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2021, 08:16:18 AM »
Thinking about it, I'm flippy floppy. Red dots and holos are here to stay, so why not just start them on a single dot? On the other hand, there is something to what Boomhauer said.

If I started someone with iron sights and had them available, it would be circle/post. M1/M14 type sights are some of the best iron sights ever invented, IMO. Super intuitive and almost the iron equivalent of a red dot.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2021, 08:28:40 AM »
Red dot.

The most open one you have will make it easier, but any decent 1x red dot will be fine.

they can go back and learn irons later if they want.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2021, 08:40:00 AM »
If your goal is to help someone to have fun and enjoy shooting, I would say red dot. Irons have their place, but if I just had an afternoon with someone and wanted them to leave enjoying the experience I would give them a .22 with a red dot and fun targets.

Might be a different answer if you are teaching for something else or have a captive audience you are training.
That is what I was thinking.  I would want any shooter to learn iron sights, but starting out with a red dot would be easier to use making it more fun.  That is what will bring them back to learn more.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2021, 07:14:10 PM »
I voted for fixed-power scope only because you wrote, " just enough to make a good group at 50 or 100 yards."  At that distance, a magnified optic is the way to go.

If you were shooting .22s or pistols at close distances, I'd recommend a red dot.

Iron sights are outdated, but still fun to use.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2021, 01:07:45 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Some good points made. It seems my question was misunderstood.

It's kinda the second one. As I said in the poll question, "teaching rifle marksmanship basics to new shooters." That means breath control, sight alignment/sight picture, trigger squeeze, stance, etc. I think that's usually different from taking someone shooting for the first time, or trying to get them interested in shooting. I'm asking about someone already interested, and now they want to learn how to go from barely getting on the paper to getting more respectable groups. Maybe I should have spent more time explaining what I was asking about.

I guess some people are reacting more to the thread title, which is a less specific question. For thread titles, I often sacrifice a little accuracy, in favor of something shorter, and more eye-catching. Sometimes that doesn't work out so well.

Your question certainly implied exactly that.

I mentioned 50 and 100 yards as limits (not as starting points), because I thought that would keep the focus on entry-level marksmanship, and not privilege magnified sights too much over the irons and red dots. I agree that 25 yards is a good place to start with rifles. After that, wouldn't you go farther out, to see if they're really developing the skills of a marksman? It's a rifle, after all.

I hope that clarifies things a little bit.