Author Topic: Article on what to do with old 401(k)s when you switch jobs  (Read 414 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Article on what to do with old 401(k)s when you switch jobs
« on: October 20, 2021, 07:29:08 AM »
https://www.cnbc.com/select/how-to-manage-your-401k-account-after-switching-jobs/

OK, one thing in here surprised me a lot... I didn't know it is possible, in some circumstances, to roll an old 401(k) from a previous employer into your new employer's 401(k). I had the idea that 401(k)s were like islands... they couldn't mingle once you left the island.

I need to check into that because I have a 401(k) from my last job that has about $25k in it that's just sitting at Voya, and it would be very nice to be able to roll that money into my current company's 401(k).
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Article on what to do with old 401(k)s when you switch jobs
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 07:42:14 AM »
I brought my 401(k) from my previous employer over.  Our fund manager considers the funds I rolled over as distinct from the funds added after I came on for some reason, but they're all there.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 08:27:00 AM »
Anything wrong with leaving them?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 08:42:59 AM »
Probably not, if you like where it is invested and don't mind having another account to keep track of.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 08:48:11 AM »
My experience when changing jobs was a requirement to take my 401(k) with me to roll into another vehicle.  That could be another 401(k) at the new employer, an IRA, etc.  I could not leave them where they were.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 09:05:19 AM »
Anything wrong with leaving them?

Generally no, as the article says. But, it's another account to track and you need to be aware of any fees that might be triggered once you leave that employer.

I left my SAIC 401(k) with Vanguard when I separate in 2019 because I really like Vanguard. I have personal investments with them as well as the 401(k) so it made sense to leave everything there.

But, I have a Voya 401(k) from my last job and it would be nice if I could bring that over to Fidelity, which is where my current 401(k) is.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 09:07:32 AM »
"I could not leave them where they were."

I've heard of other plans that are laid out like that. From what I understand, those are normally from smaller companies that have small 401(k) offerings. Leaving them generally incurs some costs to the former employer as well as possible fees to the account holder.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 10:18:53 AM »
I just left mine because my previous employer fund options were better, or at least I thought so at the time. I couldn't transfer ot directly without selling the funds as re-buying what I considered worse funds.

Nowadays I care a lot less and I will probably roll it to my new one at some point just to simplify.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 11:42:11 AM »
As I left various jobs, I rolled all the old 403(b) accounts into my IRA.  I like the investment options at Merrill Lynch much better, I earn more interest/dividends/capital gains with a larger single account balance, and I am not paying management fees to whichever company ran the retirement plan at my old job.  I have a 403(b) with Fidelity at my current job, but I will be rolling that over to my IRA when I leave.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2021, 12:47:06 AM »
https://www.cnbc.com/select/how-to-manage-your-401k-account-after-switching-jobs/

OK, one thing in here surprised me a lot... I didn't know it is possible, in some circumstances, to roll an old 401(k) from a previous employer into your new employer's 401(k). I had the idea that 401(k)s were like islands... they couldn't mingle once you left the island.

I need to check into that because I have a 401(k) from my last job that has about $25k in it that's just sitting at Voya, and it would be very nice to be able to roll that money into my current company's 401(k).

Be careful.  As has been mentioned, there may be fees involved.  The new accounts may not be as beneficial as what you have at Voya.  If you have a financial advisor (not the company person), ask them about rolling the Voya into a an IRA with them.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 06:59:47 AM »
"As has been mentioned, there may be fees involved.  The new accounts may not be as beneficial as what you have at Voya."

Yep, I know there may be fees. But there are also fees associated with leaving it sit there.

Regarding the investment options between the two plans (Voya and Fidelity), from what I've looked into so far it's pretty much a wash with the options between the two. The Voya plan is actually pretty good for being a small company plan, while the Fidelity plan is, overall, excellent.