Main Forums > The Roundtable

Article on what to do with old 401(k)s when you switch jobs

(1/3) > >>

K Frame:
https://www.cnbc.com/select/how-to-manage-your-401k-account-after-switching-jobs/

OK, one thing in here surprised me a lot... I didn't know it is possible, in some circumstances, to roll an old 401(k) from a previous employer into your new employer's 401(k). I had the idea that 401(k)s were like islands... they couldn't mingle once you left the island.

I need to check into that because I have a 401(k) from my last job that has about $25k in it that's just sitting at Voya, and it would be very nice to be able to roll that money into my current company's 401(k).

cordex:
I brought my 401(k) from my previous employer over.  Our fund manager considers the funds I rolled over as distinct from the funds added after I came on for some reason, but they're all there.

French G.:
Anything wrong with leaving them?

cordex:
Probably not, if you like where it is invested and don't mind having another account to keep track of.

RocketMan:
My experience when changing jobs was a requirement to take my 401(k) with me to roll into another vehicle.  That could be another 401(k) at the new employer, an IRA, etc.  I could not leave them where they were.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version