Author Topic: Alec Baldwin Firearm Accident  (Read 40686 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Alec Baldwin Firearm Accident
« on: October 22, 2021, 07:43:45 AM »
Apparently Alec Baldwin pulled the trigger on a "prop" gun on his movie set and killed one person and injured another.

I feel bad for the victims, and even for him, because no one wants to live with that. However, I can't help but wonder where the blame will go and what kind of "guns are bad" propaganda will come out of it. Baldwin is very anti-gun, IIRC.

The two victims were not actors, they were set personnel, so it appears this was not some "shooting a scene" accident. He must have been handling the gun in between scenes. Four rules.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/alec-baldwin-tears-rust-movie-set-shooting
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Alec Baldwin Firearm Accident
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 07:57:28 AM »
I was under the impression that actors didn't get to handle guns between scenes.  Weird.

As far as the four rules, they violate those rules constantly on set.  They have to.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 08:03:45 AM »
As far as the four rules, they violate those rules constantly on set.  They have to.

I meant "four rules" for in between scenes or running through the script. If it was an actor that was killed, it might have been from a scene where the actor was supposed to be shot. For set personnel to be shot, something else might have happened. The couple of stories I have read seemed to insinuate that he was handling the gun in between scenes.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 08:06:48 AM »
They could have been filming a shooting scene where he was being filmed head on with the directors giving direction, standing where he would be aiming for the scene. 
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 08:12:01 AM »
I meant "four rules" for in between scenes or running through the script. If it was an actor that was killed, it might have been from a scene where the actor was supposed to be shot. For set personnel to be shot, something else might have happened. The couple of stories I have read seemed to insinuate that he was handling the gun in between scenes.
I don't know what happened but as Ron says it's not hard to believe a crewmember could be shot during filming if the prop fails and actually fires a bullet.  Then again, it also not hard to explain him being an idiot.

All that said, my understanding was that when blank-firing prop guns were not actively in use for filming they are taken by the weapons wrangler.  Way, way smaller scale, but I did that for a few shows at local theatres and the gun (an 8mm, blank-firing 1911) was never out of my sight and as soon as the actor left the stage I took it.  I also kept all the extra ammo on me.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 08:14:50 AM »
Sounds like some real rounds got mixed in with the blanks.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 08:18:06 AM »
Sounds like some real rounds got mixed in with the blanks.
Most modern blank guns are designed such that real rounds won't chamber.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 08:21:45 AM »

I remember a (forgotten weapons?) video with a company that handles prop guns and that's what I thought but something happened here out of the ordinary so I don't know.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 08:27:08 AM »
As soon as I saw the thread I though of Brandon Lee

And as the AP recalls . . .

In 1993, Brandon Lee, 28, son of the late martial-arts star Bruce Lee, died after being hit by a .44-caliber slug while filming a death scene for the movie “The Crow.” The gun was supposed to have fired a blank, but an autopsy turned up a bullet lodged near his spine.
Alec Baldwin Kills One Person, Wounds Another With a Prop Gun That ‘Misfired’ While Filming a Movie
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/alec-baldwin-kills-one-person-wounds-another-with-a-prop-gun-that-misfired-while-filming-a-new-movie/
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 09:22:47 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 08:36:15 AM »
Events like this underscore the absurdity of anti-gun actors making millions of dollars acting in shoot 'em up movies.

You would think that all live ammunition would be banned from a movie set. Like mentioned before, this is not the first time something like this has occurred.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2021, 08:41:29 AM »
Blanks can be deadly at contact distance (Actor Jon-Erik Hexum found that out years ago) but they usually don't spit out TOO much in the way of fragments. If one person was killed and another injured, that suggests either multiple shots or a pass through. And a pass through strongly implies live ammo.

Either whoever was in charge of the "props" dropped the ball - big time - or there's something more sinister in play. Cops need to really, really investigate this in detail.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2021, 08:43:57 AM »
Events like this underscore the absurdity of anti-gun actors making millions of dollars acting in shoot 'em up movies.

You would think that all live ammunition would be banned from a movie set. Like mentioned before, this is not the first time something like this has occurred.

Alex, unlike his brother, is extremely anti-gun and has been very vocal about it.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2021, 08:51:24 AM »

Yeah, that is a curiosity to me. I don't know anything about the Hollywood movie set firearm policies, but it only seems sane to have "firearms" that absolutely cannot accept a projectile cartridge of any kind. 

Obviously, as Hank pointed out with the Hexum death, a blank can still kill, but with the state of special effects today, I, as a layman, can't see any valid reason for a real gun on a movie set. Especially when most in Hollywood hate guns, you would think there would have been a push for something like this. But then guns are cool and okay in movies, I guess.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2021, 09:09:03 AM »
They use real guns for the realism, and they use blanks because that is the cheapest and best way to catch a gunshot on screen.  The same reason Hollywood constantly injures stunt people by throwing them off buildings or ripping them around on wires.  It looks good.

This could be as simple as a properly loaded blank gun that had an obstruction in the barrel that was not noticed, to something stupider, hard to say at this point.  Either way, condolences to the family of the lady who died.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2021, 09:16:41 AM »
Blanks can be deadly at contact distance (Actor Jon-Erik Hexum found that out years ago) but they usually don't spit out TOO much in the way of fragments. If one person was killed and another injured, that suggests either multiple shots or a pass through. And a pass through strongly implies live ammo.

Either whoever was in charge of the "props" dropped the ball - big time - or there's something more sinister in play. Cops need to really, really investigate this in detail.

This.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2021, 09:44:23 AM »
When I read about this incident last night, the first thing that came to mind was that Baldwin was screwing around with a prop gun, causing the accident.  He has proven himself over the years to not be the brightest individual.  He has a strong sense of entitlement and is often very harsh and unkind to those around him.
In hindsight however, I suppose he should be given the benefit of the doubt in that something went wrong during the filming of a scene.
Condolences to the family and friends of the persons killed and injured.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2021, 09:46:15 AM »

I saw that mentioned on another site. I had never heard or read that prior to this incident. How does that work?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2021, 09:47:24 AM »
This is preventable. Shooting at a mirror that is on a 45° angle with the camera crew and other actors/directors, etc. safely off to the side  only puts the mirror in jeopardy.  :facepalm:

Woody

"Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2021, 09:48:32 AM »
Alex, unlike his brother, is extremely anti-gun and has been very vocal about it.

True. Another Hollywood hypocrite. Doesn't want us to have guns, but he's fine with making millions for using them on screen.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2021, 09:51:26 AM »
Another thought: Could the gun have been switched with one loaded with real cartridges somewhere during the hand-off from the prop manager to Baldwin?

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2021, 09:54:18 AM »

In hindsight however, I suppose he should be given the benefit of the doubt in that something went wrong during the filming of a scene.

I don't know how much benefit of the doubt he should be given. He is not only the star of the production, he is also the producer. As producer, doesn't he have some responsibility for everything that happens on the set? Let's face it -- even accepting that he didn't intend to kill Ms. Hutchins, an innocent person (who was working for him) is dead by his hand. We are constantly taught that we own every bullet that leaves our guns. Well, Baldwin owns this one.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2021, 09:55:15 AM »
Another thought: Could the gun have been switched with one loaded with real cartridges somewhere during the hand-off from the prop manager to Baldwin?

If that might have happened -- why was there any live ammunition on a movie set?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2021, 10:03:56 AM »
Guess we have to wait and see what what the incident report says but I will be surprised if it was something other than live rounds getting mixed up with blanks in a real gun. Maybe a piece of a chamber flag got jammed in the barrel* or something along those lines.
No matter what Alex will get even more anti-gun, if that's even possible, but at the same time will continue making millions playing the hero saving the day with a gun.

*Actually had that happen.
- Calvin and Hobbes

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2021, 10:05:50 AM »
He probably is a hypocrite and terrible person, but being anti-gun while using a gun a in movie isn't automatically hypocritical.
Acting involves pretending to do things you might not personally endorse such as murder, rape, or eating pineapple on pizza.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.