Author Topic: Alec Baldwin Firearm Accident  (Read 40705 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Alec Baldwin Firearm Accident
« Reply #375 on: December 10, 2021, 11:43:44 AM »
Enter MAC
Watching right now

Did Alec Baldwin pull the trigger?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NCHz6ikEV8
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #376 on: December 10, 2021, 12:20:00 PM »
I have a SAA that is hidden right beside my recliner.

That is the most boomer thing I've ever heard.  =D Well done!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #377 on: December 10, 2021, 12:37:25 PM »

I have a blackpowder Pietta that I'm gonna break out later to experiment with. I'm actually not sure what safety features their BP revolvers have.

An 1853 or 1860 Colt clone? The action is exactly the same as the 1873 SAA.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #378 on: December 10, 2021, 01:42:05 PM »
An 1853 or 1860 Colt clone? The action is exactly the same as the 1873 SAA.

1851 Navy .44
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #379 on: December 10, 2021, 03:17:52 PM »
1851 Navy .44

Ah, yes. I have one of those, too. A beautifully executed reproduction of a firearm that never existed.

The trigger pull on mine is around 2 pounds (maybe a bit less -- I haven't put a scale on it), with total travel less than 3/16ths of an inch.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #380 on: December 10, 2021, 03:47:42 PM »
Ah, yes. I have one of those, too. A beautifully executed reproduction of a firearm that never existed.

The trigger pull on mine is around 2 pounds (maybe a bit less -- I haven't put a scale on it), with total travel less than 3/16ths of an inch.

A Navy would have been a .36, right?
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #381 on: December 10, 2021, 03:51:26 PM »
A Navy would have been a .36, right?

Navy .36
Army .44
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #382 on: December 10, 2021, 03:54:21 PM »
I'm tempted to grab one, and then mill the cylinder for a light .38 or .44 load (depending). I'd probably make my own reduced capacity brass...
Blog under construction

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #383 on: December 10, 2021, 04:35:17 PM »
I'm tempted to grab one, and then mill the cylinder for a light .38 or .44 load (depending). I'd probably make my own reduced capacity brass...

You shouldn't need to mill the cylinder. You can often buy conversion cylinders. For example.

https://taylorsfirearms.com/pietta-1851-1861-navy-36-revolver-conversion-cylinder.html

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #384 on: December 10, 2021, 04:37:39 PM »
You shouldn't need to mill the cylinder. You can often buy conversion cylinders. For example.

https://taylorsfirearms.com/pietta-1851-1861-navy-36-revolver-conversion-cylinder.html

I think he *wants* to mill it himself. =)
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #385 on: December 10, 2021, 06:25:32 PM »
Navy .36
Army .44

1851 Navy is available as either .36 or .44.

That may not be the correct nomenclature, but they are advertised everywhere as 1851 Navy and sold in .44
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #386 on: December 10, 2021, 06:30:46 PM »
Why it wasn't all that uncommon for people to carry older revolvers with the hammer down on an empty cylinder.

Like the folks who are sketched out by a cocked gun would carry their 1911 in condition 3.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #387 on: December 10, 2021, 06:46:22 PM »
Like the folks who are sketched out by a cocked gun would carry their 1911 in condition 3.

Which makes me wonder. Did anyone make a 1911 with a decocker? Hmmmm May do some searching in a bit.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #388 on: December 10, 2021, 06:54:59 PM »
1851 Navy is available as either .36 or .44.

That may not be the correct nomenclature, but they are advertised everywhere as 1851 Navy and sold in .44

Understood. But back in the 19th century, Colt did not sell a version of the 1851 Navy in .44 caliber -- it was .36 caliber only. The 1860 Army was in .44 caliber.

Both Uberti and Pietta make"replicas" of the 1851 in .44 caliber but, as I wrote above, it's a very nice reproduction of a firearm that never existed in history.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #389 on: December 10, 2021, 06:56:52 PM »
Which makes me wonder. Did anyone make a 1911 with a decocker? Hmmmm May do some searching in a bit.

Cylinder & Slide "Safety Fast Shooting System"

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/sfssystem.shtml

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #390 on: December 10, 2021, 06:57:41 PM »
Para-ordinance maybe? I used to shoot with a guy and I think his Para was double action.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #391 on: December 10, 2021, 07:07:33 PM »
Was curious about the Para and looked them up.

DAO, no decocker.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #392 on: December 10, 2021, 07:08:17 PM »
Understood. But back in the 19th century, Colt did not sell a version of the 1851 Navy in .44 caliber -- it was .36 caliber only. The 1860 Army was in .44 caliber.

Both Uberti and Pietta make"replicas" of the 1851 in .44 caliber but, as I wrote above, it's a very nice reproduction of a firearm that never existed in history.

Got it.

If they didn't sell them in .44, I probably would have gotten one of the Army revolvers. The .36 is too little for me.  :laugh:

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #393 on: December 10, 2021, 07:46:08 PM »
.36 worked just fine if you aimed...

I think it was Hickock who carried one?

And in those days, it was VERY common to carry more than two sidearms... Anyone know what the bore diameter is on the .44 versions? I'm thinking that a light special load could be interesting, especially if I do a short cavity on the brass. I've also been wanting to make some reduced capacity .45 brass.
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #394 on: December 10, 2021, 07:51:58 PM »
Study Finds Massive Spike In People Getting Shot By Alec Baldwin Under Biden Administration
https://babylonbee.com/news/study-finds-massive-spike-in-people-getting-shot-by-alec-baldwin-under-biden-administration

:rofl:
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #395 on: December 10, 2021, 09:09:30 PM »
.36 worked just fine if you aimed...

I think it was Hickock who carried one?

And in those days, it was VERY common to carry more than two sidearms... Anyone know what the bore diameter is on the .44 versions? I'm thinking that a light special load could be interesting, especially if I do a short cavity on the brass. I've also been wanting to make some reduced capacity .45 brass.

You need to go to .45 Colt.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #396 on: December 10, 2021, 10:06:27 PM »

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #397 on: December 10, 2021, 10:48:47 PM »
Got it.

If they didn't sell them in .44, I probably would have gotten one of the Army revolvers. The .36 is too little for me.  :laugh:

There's a worse problem. It happens that the bore and groove size for .44 black powder are conveniently exactly the same as for .45 Colt and .45 ACP. That's not the case for .36 caliber black powder. The .36 caliber has a groove diameter of .375" -- typical .38 Special bullets are .357". People who buy the conversion cylinders for the .36 caliber Colt Navy pistols then go looking for special bullets that can be made to (more or less) obturate sufficiently to run through the barrel without excessive leading or loss of velocity.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #398 on: December 10, 2021, 10:51:23 PM »
You need to go to .45 Colt.

I don't think the conversion cylinders for the .44 Navy "clones" are long enough to handle .45 Colt. I shot .45 Schofield in mine, until I got some .45 Cowboy Special brass from Starline.

I didn't shoot the gun enough to make it worth keeping around, but I think I still have a few pieces of the Starline brass in the basement somewhere.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #399 on: December 10, 2021, 10:53:09 PM »
There's a worse problem. It happens that the bore and groove size for .44 black powder are conveniently exactly the same as for .45 Colt and .45 ACP. That's not the case for .36 caliber black powder. The .36 caliber has a groove diameter of .375" -- typical .38 Special bullets are .357". People who buy the conversion cylinders for the .36 caliber Colt Navy pistols then go looking for special bullets that can be made to (more or less) obturate sufficiently to run through the barrel without excessive leading or loss of velocity.

.38 S&W might work.  I can't remember for sure what size it is, but I think it's .365".  Or use swaged hollow-base wadcutters in whatever .38 cartridge you want.
"It's good, though..."